It doesn't make sense

pthieu1986

Warlord
I find it really funny when other leaders label me 'warmongering menace' just because some aggressive leaders declare wars on me in a 'short time' in Single Player Mode.

I find it quite stupid, especially when those attackers are LOOSING the war (me taking a few cities) and are still demanding my cities for peace... :confused:

You need to do more than be the recipient of DOWs to be labelled a warmonger. Most likely you're seizing cities (particularly capitals) from the AI civs that attacked you. That sort of behavior adds to your warmonger score. In some senses it doesn't make sense, but it's a safeguard against massive conquests that have no diplomatic consequences.

Usually only the civs that are already lukewarm about you will care about such warmongering.

neither being declared upon nor taking cities is something the AI cares about.
It's instead:

1. Being whichever civ removes an AI (or city state) from the game.
2. Being the one who DOWs either an AI or city state.
Both of those weighted equally.

Most civs will give you one free pass for one of those actions, but the "defenders of the free world" won't.
Conversely, there's a few civs who are the "do as you like" (they won't care)

The key to conquest while avoiding war mongler is to let them keep one city; and don't take over city states.

AI's calculations are based on what military adviser / demographics screen army calculation. This is all their units on the map; even those far away from the area of the conflict. In addition, the calculation itself undervalues ranged units.

Basically you need to kill more of their units. This is one of the reasons you don't want to get into a war of attrition with the AI; you instead want to set up killing fields where the AI is the only one losing units.

Dogmouth: i didn't seize any cities, but before that i declare war on one AI (only one time), then other three AI declare war on me, so i deal with three wars with a bunch of their CS Allies. That's somewhat annoying

animalcross: yes, i guess the game adds up the total strength of your military units and theirs, they are still stronger so they demand LOL

Dogmouth: i didn't seize any cities, but before that i declare war on one AI (only one time), then other three AI declare war on me, so i deal with three wars with a bunch of their CS Allies. That's somewhat annoying

animalcross: yes, i guess the game adds up the total strength of your military units and theirs, they are still stronger so they demand LOL

Assuming jon is right, I guess I've learned something new. I could have sworn that capital capturing without a DOW has earned me the label, but perhaps I'm conflating things.

pthieu, it looks like you've answered our own question. You DOW'd, therefore some AIs consider you a warmonger.

Thats the problem. Sounds like you declared war on the wrong Civ. Diplomacy makes more sense (there are still some confounding things) when you view the whole board.

If you have a desire to go to war and you care about diplomatic penalties you must work on diplomacy. Target a Civ that has been denounced. Denounce them, make friends with their enemies.

In your case it seems you picked on the most popular Civ on the map. In those cases you have to wait for the right conditions. Alliances will shift, you just have to keep an eye on things and captialize on the opportunities.

IF they just removed the warmonger penalty for dowing civ 5 diplomacy was fixed

It makes a frustration because you can't act if a civ is acting like a jurk and killing all you're city states wanne do something about get a penatly

IF they just removed the warmonger penalty for dowing civ 5 diplomacy was fixed

It makes a frustration because you can't act if a civ is acting like a jurk and killing all you're city states wanne do something about get a penatly

Diplomacy is a snake pit. I'm glad its reflected in game. And you CAN act against another Civ on a rampage. I've done it many times. I've even wiped out a Civ while still maintaining friend status with AI civs. Spend time in diplomatic relations screen and keep an eye on how relationships are shifting and it becomes more apparent.

Some of the sneakier modifiers :

1) Social Policies - If you go Freedom and they go Order, Autocracy it could tip a souring relationship over the edge.

2) City State Competition - Combined with 1 and another element and the Civ will go from Friendly to hostile.

Elizabeth is one those who will flip on me once we get to the later policies. We can be on good terms, but once she hits Autocracy and we start competing for cultural city states, she'll turn on me.

Liz is nasty when she hits her UUs

Spoiler :

The only problem is that sometimes she forgets to bring them along :rolleyes:

Spoiler :

Come to think of it I think it was a smallfish post that turned me on to her Autocratic/schizophrenic tendencies!

The key to conquest while avoiding war mongler is to let them keep one city; and don't take over city states.

I know not to DoW a CS myself, but what if I conquer a CS that declared war on me first because it was allied to a civ that DoW'ed on me? Do I get negative warmonger karma for that?

I know not to DoW a CS myself, but what if I conquer a CS that declared war on me first because it was allied to a civ that DoW'ed on me? Do I get negative warmonger karma for that?

CS declaring war on you: no affect

You conquering the CS even if they DOWed on you: Your a war mongler. (Same thing would apply if a major AI DOWed you first but you took out their last city.)

CS declaring war on you: no affect

You conquering the CS even if they DOWed on you: Your a war mongler. (Same thing would apply if a major AI DOWed you first but you took out their last city.)

Meh, it all depends on how much of a royal PITA they were during the war. If they just stood around and picked their nose or shook their spears at me, no biggie, I let them live. But if they were in a critical spot where they could really hinder me or cause me problems, and they did- them beaches is gonna die, Irene.

Top Bottom