Language translations for leader sayings

'Envie' is not 'envy', it's more like 'will'.

good point actually... I wasn't confortable with ENVY but wasn't really sure why... In this specific situation, a better translation for "envie" would probably be "want" or "wish" or even "need"... it definitely wants to convey something more profound than "want"....

(I heard some rumours saying something like "Quebecois speaks the old French due to less influences from other languages" ;) (this part sounds like BS with Canada speaking English and 'Murica just in south, but still...))

Actually, it's supposed to be a fact. Not sure it's from lack of other influence though. It's more that "Joual", the term we use for our dialect of french used in most Quebec regions, stayed very close to ancient french, wheras the french used in Montreal is more International, and HAS been very much influenced by the English languag spoken throughout Canada and the U.S.A.

Actually, it's supposed to be a fact. Not sure it's from lack of other influence though. It's more that "Joual", the term we use for our dialect of french used in most Quebec regions, stayed very close to ancient french, wheras the french used in Montreal is more International, and HAS been very much influenced by the English languag spoken throughout Canada and the U.S.A.

Oh, so it was true ? That's a great thing to know !

I too think I hear "EN MON ROYAUME"...

And I wouldn't exactly translate "en mon royaume" into "to the realm". There is a clear sense of ownership when someone use "MON" (MY), which is a possessive adjective.

My take on the translation would be this:

Greeting: I am Catherine, Queen Mother of France, and I welcome you to my realm. I have great desire and envy of discovering all your secrets.
Je suis Catherine, Reine Mère de France. Je vous souhaite la bienvenue en mon royaume. J'ai grand désir et envie de découvrir tous vos secrets.

I don't hear the "en" frankly. XD

And yes, while that translation may be more accurate--it isn't what is in-game, and it's a bit awkward: "great desire and envy of discovering" doesn't make grammatical sense in English.

Maybe we should do translations where we compare the in-game vs. the "actual" translation (i.e. "my realm" as opposed to "the realm" for Catherine's intro)?

Or if people prefer, we can just put up the actual translations, though we may need to tinker with them a bit to get the English straightened out and less awkward.

Nice find! Where are the German speakers to translate this stuff?

And it looks like leaders don't have trade or demand lines. Sad.

The leaders overall seem to have fewer voiced lines than in Civ V, but fingers crossed they were just skipped out of this early build and will be in the final build for us to enjoy (and translate).

Maybe I can have that translated tomorrow! He speaks Middle High German.

And it's "Catherine de' Médici" in English, isn't it?
In French it's "Catherine de Médicis", maybe that was mixed up?

(I heard some rumours saying something like "Quebecois speaks the old French due to less influences from other languages" ;) (this part sounds like BS with Canada speaking English and 'Murica just in south, but still...))

I don't know if it's because of languages evolving, but I have often used "savoir" in order to express the auxiliary "can"...
That's why, may be she say that because she refer to knowledge and experiences of Nostradamus, so "even with all his knowledge", the surprise war couldn't have been predicted.

It's not really surprising: American English is also more archaic than most varieties of British English.

Cleopatra is NOT speaking Coptic! She is speaking Middle Egyptian, the "classical" form of Ancient Egyptian prominent between ca. 2000 - 1350 BCE, and the ancestor of Coptic (after evolving through Late Egyptian and Demotic, the latter being the variant of Egyptian that Cleopatra would've actually known).

As far as I can tell, her lines deconstruct like this:

Declare War

Transliteration:
iw m-a pA.ii mH n.k! / sSm imn-ra n.n!
Transcription:
Iu em-'a paï meh en-ek! / Seshem Amun-Ra en-en!
Direct Translation:
/be in-hand of-mine be-full of you!/ /may-guide Amun-Ra to-us!/
Notes: I can't find a direct translation for the "enough" segment [...]
Never mind it was just bad grammar and pronunciation :egypt:
I think the intended meaning was "My hands are full of you"/"I have had my fill of you", but what they got was "It is in-hand of mine a fill to you".

Defeated

Transliteration:
iw kmt nhw.ti
ir nn sxn.i s pA.ii mrr sxn.i n Ax.t!
Transcription:
Iu Kemet nehuti
Ir nen seheni es paï merer seheni en ahu[t]!
Direct Translation:
/be Egypt lost/
/if not embrace-I man of-mine who-loves embrace-I to serpent!/
Notes: The (s pA.ii) segment sounds like "man of mine", so I wrote it in hieroglyphs as such. But (mrr)/merer is harder to place. [...] (mrr) is a relative form, "who loves". More bad grammar.

Greeting

Transliteration:
inwk ist Ἶσις xpr.ti sp-sn
inwk qliwApAdr{t}A Hna xnmst ir iw.k SAw
Transcription:
Inek Iset, Isis, heperti sep-sen
Inek Kliwopatra hena henemeset ir iwek shawu
Direct Translation:
/I Isis, Isis [in Greek], become twice/
/I Cleopatra with friend if be-you worth/
Notes: Her on-screen dialogue doesn't really match here at all. She clearly says "I am Isis, Isis, twice become" - which is nice nod to how she identified herself as the incarnation of that goddess historically. Her second sentence is pretty mangled... "Hna"/"hena" is only used to mean "and" in the context of lists, here it means "with". "Ir" and "iwek" can't stack like that, and "shawu" really means something closer to "valuable" ("worthy" would be "iq[e]r").

Misc. Notes:
- The pronunciation is uninspired. The vowel reconstruction is lazy, but that's forgivable seeing as the Egyptians didn't write the vowels (until Coptic came along, which is what makes it easier to work with) and experts still debate them. There's a fair amount of consensus on the consonants though, yet not even a whiff of an attempt to differentiate between /h/, /H/, and /x/, which all get folded into "h".
- I love the voice acting though, she emotes really well and hits a nice cadence remeniscent of Egyptian Arabic.

Frederic translation:

Intro:
I am Frederic and rule over German and Welsh lands, over Burgund and some other more.
(Welsh means Romans or romanized Celts)
I know surely that you, too, can embrace righteous force.
(The last sentence is tricky, according to the middle German dictionary something with "kennen" - learn to know, "beherzen" - to your heart, "gewalt" - Power, force, usually in context with ruling and government.)

Next one might be a denial of a request for joining an existing alliance.
He's likely refering to himself in the first part? Then it would mean something like:
I promised to be cautious. To help this realm would mean to dance with death.

Next one:
"I destroy my enemies, and, if you help them, you too."

Next one is probably a reaction to DOW:
"How do you want to defeat me, when I destroyed so many enemies?"

Declares war:
"You have heard the warning, but still you seek conflict. Now you will learn it, as many other men have before you!"

I have no experience with middle high German so other opinions are appreciated. :)

I can't say that I have any experience with Middle High German either, but I can give it a shot.

Intro:
I am Frederic and rule over German and Welsh lands, over Burgund and some other more.
(Welsh means Romans or romanized Celts)
I know surely that you, too, can embrace righteous force.
(The last sentence is tricky, according to the middle German dictionary something with "kennen" - learn to know, "beherzen" - to your heart, "gewalt" - Power, force, usually in context with ruling and government.)

That seems to fit. I don't think you got anything wrong there.

Next one might be a denial of a request for joining an existing alliance.
He's likely refering to himself in the first part? Then it would mean something like:
I promised to be cautious. To help this realm would mean to dance with death.

To me, it sounds more like he's praising the player for his cautiousness. I don't think this is a denial of request, but rather Frederick's reaction to the player following his agenda. (Frederick hates players who associate with city states)

Next one:
"I destroy my enemies, and, if you help them, you too."

Therefore, this seems like what he says if you ignore his agenda.

Next one is probably a reaction to DOW:
"How do you want to defeat me, when I destroyed so many enemies?"

Yep, seems about right.

Declares war:
"You have heard the warning, but still you seek conflict. Now you will learn it, as many other men have before you!"

I'd probably translate the last part as "Now you will learn your lesson, like many a man before you!", but again, the gist of it is right.

Really great stuff guys! I'm pleased there seems to be a bit more attention to detail with regards to the leader languages. We've got more to see yet, but we seem a long way from the times of Rameses speaking Arabic :)

Really great stuff guys! I'm pleased there seems to be a bit more attention to detail with regards to the leader languages. We've got more to see yet, but we seem a long way from the times of Rameses speaking Arabic :)

I wonder what Gilgamesh will speak... that's probably the trickiest one left. Pronunciation aside, which is probably weird anyway.

Let's see if I can make a few adjustments to this! :D

Pedro II
Speaks modern Brazilian Portuguese.
Greeting: "Good day. It is an honor to meet you in person. It seems great minds attract each other." ("Bom dia. É uma honra conhecê-lo pessoalmente. Parece que mentes brilhantes se atraem.")
Attacked: "You will see how this will be fruitless, no?" ("Você verá como será infrutífero, não é?")
Agenda-based approval: "Imagine all the surprising achievements that the brilliant minds of my nation will accomplish." ("Imagine todas as conquistas surpreendentes que as mentes brilhantes da minha nação realizarão.")
Agenda-based disapproval: "Your finest engineers and architects would be happier in a place where they could grow. (...)" ("Os seus melhores engenheiros e arquitectos seriam mais felizes num lugar onde pudessem crescer (...)")

I'm not sure about the word "infrutífero" when Pedro II is attacked, and when he disapproves the video cuts off before he actually finishes his line, so those can still be changed.
As for Defeat, the video has no sound from the game, so I can't hear what he says, but a translation from the text to Portuguese would be "Que Deus me conceda estes últimos desejos - paz e prosperidade para o Brasil". If anyone finds another video where Brazil is Defeated, I will happily check what he says!

Overall, I like how this game's translations are much closer to what was used in Civilization V, but there are still a few details that change a bit.
Pedro's Attacked line is a bit weird to me, it's a weird phrase - but maybe that's because I'm from Portugal. It's possible that that sentance structure makes more sense in Brazilian Portuguese than in European Portuguese! :)

Thanks for doing this thread again! :)

"Infrutífero" in this case means more like "Useless"

Top Bottom