Larger Map Sizes

Michael Flynn

Chieftain
This small edit addresses the overly small map issues by adding three new sizes. The 'huge' map was set at 106x66. The three new sizes are:

• Huger - 116x72
  • Massive - 128x80
  • Giant - 140x86

I have tested all the sizes on single player and they all work on both a 2 year old i5 processor, although load times do get longer especially in later game, and a modern i7 where load times were only negligibly increased.

I have also only tested them on continents, so if you use on other map modes the feedback would be appreciated.

On the Giant map the game will sometimes crash during creation on the i5 (perhaps 1/5 times) but not at all the i7.

You can download the files from Dropbox. Juat copy the base file over the base file in your Civ 6 Directory.

Please let me know if you fancy trying bigger sizes. They are easy enough to add. Have fun!

Even though my toaster won't like it, I'll give these a go. Any chance you can turn this into a mod rather than a file replacement so the inevitable patching won't break it?

Edit: 3 minute turns by turn 30. No thanks. When I get a not-toaster though, I'm grabbing this.

Last edited:
Agreed, please make it a mod-format so people can easily plug and play without having it replaced in eventual patches.
Good job otherwise though, absolutely a musthave mod along with (hopefully) a new version of PerfectWorld, if that ever happens :)

Even though my toaster won't like it, I'll give these a go. Any chance you can turn this into a mod rather than a file replacement so the inevitable patching won't break it?

Edit: 3 minute turns by turn 30. No thanks. When I get a not-toaster though, I'm grabbing this.
To resolve the turn timer somewhat you could make sure to only have the vanilla 12 civs (max on Huge) when using Advanced Setup before the game. 18 civs on the largest setting in this mod is quite a lot. Then again it might be the extra space for barbarians that cause the turn times to spiral.

I tried installing this but when I go to start a new game they aren't showing up as options in the drop down? Oops *edit* I didn't realise making a copy of the file and leaving it in the folder still ended up using it. my bad.

Last edited:
Anyone else using this notice a strange lack of barbarians on a Huger map, compared to a Huge? Doesn't seem to be scaling barbarians with available space.

I'm loving the work you guys have done, I really do a lot. bigger the map the better, the ability to set a script to allow 1 person per land mass be a real life saver, reloading a new map due to others on my land mass to early. I know there are other builders like myself out there who enjoy putting together a small empire before meeting other civs and going to war. That is just me, on civ 4 they made a script called Planet generator_68 that was highly configurable to the degree you could make it design any situation for you practically. If you guys know how that would be great and keep the barbarians flowing, need those promotions early on with warriors for later swordsmen.

One other small issue is the scout on such large maps. Any of you guys know how to add in some sort of upgrades for the scout making him less weak during the later eras before ranger upgrade? If you max out promotions on a scout they rule, but until then they can be whacked by barbs pretty bad when the world is so large. Thanks keep up the great work and I realize you do not make units I am just stating it here. Hoping someone sees it and runs with it, I don't have any idea where to start besides reading how and that is a bit boring and tedious for a man with little patience. :lol:

Top Bottom