Latest ATI Drivers

I have the ATI Radeon 9000 but with 32 MB memory. Am I right in thinking that I cannot run the game on this laptop (DELL Inspiron 8500), which meets the CPU, O/S and main memory specs?

The screen freezes on startup either when I select a leader other than random, or when the first may screen should come up. (I can see the intro movie) and have selected low resolution graphics.

I am having similar problems to Pistolero.

The screen freezing on startup when I select a leader other than random. If I select random it runs all the way through the load, eventually ending up in a frozen black screen with a single circular icon (of a settler?) but nothing else. I get all the intro graphics fine and can navigate around the options pages.

The other odd thing is that when I open up the Civilopedia, all I can see in the unit picture window for any particular window is the background, though occasionally I get a small part of the unit itself - for the tank only the tracks visible.

I am running the game on a Sony Vaio PCG-GRV616G with a 2.60GHz processor upgraded to 1GB of memory and an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 with64MB memory - surely that is enough?

Have tried installing the latest Catalyst driver (5.10) - no joy, running up against the INF problem or if I try to select the driver manually, it tells me I already have a better one installed.

Have also tried the Art UnPak fix, again, it does not seem to make any difference.

Would be grateful if anyone has any thoughts

Archie

I'm having the same problems as Pistolero and Archibald. I've got a Dell Inpsiron 8200 notebook with a 64mb ATI Radeon 9000 running on Win2000.

All appears to work well until I try to start a game, get past selecting Continent, Leaders etc and I see 4000BC in the top corner and the machine freezes. Tried all the fixes and nothing appears to work.

Has anyone got this game working with Win2000 and a ATI Radeon 9000??? If so, what did you do?

Latest catalyst drivers won't work as they don't recognise my graphics card...

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Ray.

ATTENTION ATI 9000 USERS

I've just downloaded the Catalyst Omega 3.10 drivers for my notebook at it's now working perfectly. My card is actually running faster than before so a double bonus :)

Go to this link below, the driver is in the middle of the first table. I tried a couple 4.x drivers and they didn't work but might work for you...

http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/omegadrive.htm

Pistolero and Archibald - I hope this solves your problems as it has certainly solved mine!!!

Right then, I'm off to bash some heads!!!

Many thanks to Rlawton

The catalyst 3.10 driver fix has worked for me (I am using XP) and the game is running like a dream.

Archie

I have ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 but I have no clue what driver update I should get, I tried getting the hydraeon or something and that didnt work. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. plus I want to make sure I get the driver to normal because I already deleted the previous update and it has a diff one on that doesnt work with Civ4 right now. can I have some help please?

Installed Catalyst 5.11 finally get me played more than 3 hours (no crashes to desktop anymore), until they beat me... :( ;)

I have an ATI Radeon IGP 340 M. Although according to Catalyst installer, I have no graphic card in my computer, so the drivers just won't install.:mad: So I guess I downloaded the wrong driver. Does anybody know which one is the right for my card?

what do you do if you get the INF error while trying to install the driver?

Driek Desmet said:
Also get the same error after the patje ""INF error. Video driver not found."
It's an Mobile Radeon 7500 inside an R51 IBM

Same system i have....:(

I've had a little luck with updating my drivers.

I have a Dell notebook running a ATI Radeon Mobility 7500. I could get it to load before but the leaders heads were missing and the terrain was all black like many of you have experienced.

I had a look, turns out ATI doesnt update drivers for notebooks, only desktops. So i went to this site below

www.omegadrivers.net

and installed their ATI driver. Now i can see the leaders heads and terrain, though the terrain is still wrong (not black though). I'm gonna try adjusting the settings to get it right.

Maybe this will help you too. If you resolve all the issues please let us know.

Thrasher0723 said:
People... I have a top of the line computer with more RAM/SPEED/ROM etc etc etc... than most people do...and a Radeon 9800 Pro... This Damn game would lock up 3-5 minutes into it and kick me to a black screen and I'd have to reboot the whole computer. I tried Catalyst...that didn't work... I tried the old drivers 4.18...that didn't work...I tried moving that damn ART05 file or whatever and that didn't work... I tried re-installing, lower graphics...name it... BUT... I didn't try this fix...

Go to desktop and click properties
Settings
Advanced
SMARTGART

Turn that damn thing off!! Under AGP speed... Take it down to off... Now that thing works great... MY GAME WORKS NOW BECAUSE OF THIS!!! :goodjob: I complained all over the place about how my Radeon 9800 Pro didn't work with the game...Tried EVERYTHING... all the fixes except for this one. And this one actually worked.... I played the Revolutionary War for the last hour with no crashes... Of course...I got my a$$ handed to me, but...I had fun and the game didn't crash... SPREAD THE WORD!! Now I'm not flipping out like I was before----> :mad:

Thanks to whoever found this... I forgot where the post was... Dammit! :confused:

Hi to all...my first post here in this forum...All thanxs of the world from my side to whoever found this. This WORKED for me, too. Now the game works like a charm without a CTD, automatic reboot or freezes. Nearly 10 hours without problems...Can´t stop gaming.:king:

Big thx again

Greetz from Germany

Athlon XP 3000+
Gigabyte GA-7VASFS
1 GB Ram DDR333
1,5 GB Virtual Memory
Radeon 9200 SE

hi,

works fine for me too, i was having problem with texturing (all map was dark, i could only see trees and rivers)

Radeon 7500 AIW

Cheesemonkey said:
I've had a little luck with updating my drivers.

I have a Dell notebook running a ATI Radeon Mobility 7500. I could get it to load before but the leaders heads were missing and the terrain was all black like many of you have experienced.

I had a look, turns out ATI doesnt update drivers for notebooks, only desktops. So i went to this site below

www.omegadrivers.net

and installed their ATI driver. Now i can see the leaders heads and terrain, though the terrain is still wrong (not black though). I'm gonna try adjusting the settings to get it right.

Maybe this will help you too. If you resolve all the issues please let us know.

my ibm notebook is also running ATI radeon mobility 7500 and i installed the omegadrivers but still can't see the face of leaders
and the fog of war still exists
hope the new patch will fix that

I have the same black tile and leaders with floating eyes and lips problems.

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 running Windows 2000, 1.7 ghz Pentium, 512mb ram, with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32mb video card.

I read this and other forums and I have tried the following steps:
1) I followed the instructions from 2kgames as shown on http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_ati.htm.
*I tried this both with ATI driver (well what I could find as ATI website says that they dont provide drivers for win2000 for my video card) and I tried the Omega driver (found in this or a similar thread)

RESULT: Nothing changed.

2) I tried the PakBuild changes as also described on http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_ati.htm. I did use the widows 2000 version.

RESULT: Nothing changed. However, I am confused that nothing was really "created" when I ran the unpack. I was expecting it to extract files like winzip.

Has anyone had different results doing the same thing that I have done OR has anyone with similar configuration found something different to do to get this to work??

rickmc
PakBuild creates 'art' folder in the folder you specify after selecting Art0.FPK file. This should be 'assets' folder of the game. If you specified different folder, you should move contents of that 'art' folder manually.

Initially Assests/Art folder contains only 'Movies' sub-folder. After extraction it contains much more sub-folders (terrain, units, etc... etc...).

Don't forget to rename/delete Art0.FPK after this step.

This action saves ~300Mb address space (not memory), so it helps only in very boundary cases when your system in on the tight threshold of running the game or failing to do so.

wilwil said:
my ibm notebook is also running ATI radeon mobility 7500 and i installed the omegadrivers but still can't see the face of leaders
and the fog of war still exists
hope the new patch will fix that

Ah i forgot to say that you also need to disable SMARTGART (through display properties), turn your AGP off then restart. That should give you the leaders faces and probably the washed out terrain too. An improvement but still not what we want to be playing.

I have a ThinkPad T42, 1.7GHz Pentium M, 512MB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (Omega 2.6.75a).

ALSO, under display adapters is listed the following driver: Microsoft SMS Mirror Driver. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT? Is there a primary and a slave driver?

The reason that I ask that is when I run the civ iv system compatibility test on www.srtest.com, it gives me the following under the Video Card section:

Video Card
Minimum: 64 MB 3D Video Card with Hardware Transform & Lighting (NVIDIA GeForce2+ /ATI Radeon 7500+)
You Have: Microsoft SMS Mirror Driver ()
Could not determine the video card requirement for your computer. Please review the Video Card details below or use another method for your evaluation.
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Video RAM: Required - 32 MB , You have - 0.0 B
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - Yes

Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)
Your driver version number is: 6.14.10.6575
FYI: Your video card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper video card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.

Top Bottom