Latest ATI Drivers

I've read the pages and pages of info about problems with ATI graphics. I'd been experiencing various crashes playing civ4. I had an ATO Radeon 9250 with Catalyst 5.11. Based on that advice I tried Catalyst 4.12. Civ4 still locked up. I tried sdhide. Same.
So I upgraded to Catalyst 5.12. Now when Civ4 crashed (which it still did frequently - but at least it crashed rather than just locking up and forcing a reboot) I got an ATI prompt to send them the crash data. This was an improvement but I just wanted civ4 to work.
Last weekend I bit the bullet and replace the ATI 9250 with a Gigabyte nvidia geforce fx 5500 card. CIV4 plays faster (and for the first time the intro graphics play without pauses) and NO crashes ! I wish I'd done it weeks earlier and saved myself days of stuffing around.
I'm sure ati will get their stuff together eventually (Catalyst 5.12 is better than 5.11 and both better than 4.12) but i no longer care. Civ4 works ! Now I can focus on the game, not the PC. ...Adrianv

Hmm I use Omega drivers based on 5.12 cats and it works just fine with a softmodded 98000SE

Does ATI have mirrors for its drivers somewhere? I've been trying to download the Catalyst drivers for about a month now, and never get past "Connected; waiting for reply".

I get a black screen for the map and I get some freaky looking floating eyes and mouth for diplomacy with other nations. any suggestions would be helpful.

Chemchops

chemchops
My fix (look post #102 on this page) usually solved black terrain problem, but sometimes it brought leaders bug. Well, at least its current version. Leaders problem is going to be fixed soon with the next version of my fix.

How well does the 5.12 drivers work with Civ4 compared to the 5.11s? I've read the 5.12s are much worse performance-wise on other games. Has anyone tried both with Civ4?

Vinc said:
How well does the 5.12 drivers work with Civ4 compared to the 5.11s? I've read the 5.12s are much worse performance-wise on other games. Has anyone tried both with Civ4?
They seem to be working as well as can be expected with my machine. I still play Civ4 with minimal "whistles and bells" in 16bit color, etc.

auldian said:
They seem to be working as well as can be expected with my machine. I still play Civ4 with minimal "whistles and bells" in 16bit color, etc.

Cool. The demo works ok on my machine with the newest drivers, I'll get the game in a few days and if I'm having problems I'll try the 5.11s...

I tried the 5.12 drivers and the same problems I had resolved prior to reverting to 4.12 came back (unplayable lag on large+ maps as the game progresses). So if you're hoping for any Civ fixes piggybacking in on them you are probably going to be diappointed.

This sticky thread really should be removed as recommendations to move to the latest ATI drivers rarely is a good idea...with any game. They do usually get worse the higher the version you run past 4.12. Hehe, its a nice combination though...ATI which can't write drivers to save their life, and Fraxis who will release a game well before its time.

try using older and stable drivers and use the folowing fix for the black terrain:
use 'worldbuilder' (hit ESC during game) and reveal all tiles (fog of war).
this takes away the excitement of exploring, but makes the game playable.

Is there a mirror for the drivers somewhere? I haven't been able to download anything from the official site in two months' trying.

Sorry for being a n00b here, but I'm having a really hard time finding out which drivers I need here.. I have a HP Pavilion zv5000 (laptop), which uses an ATI MobilityRadeon 9000IGP card, but I can't find any info on the ATI-pages. Could anyone be so kind to give me a link or something?

Bakaroyna said:
Sorry for being a n00b here, but I'm having a really hard time finding out which drivers I need here.. I have a HP Pavilion zv5000 (laptop), which uses an ATI MobilityRadeon 9000IGP card, but I can't find any info on the ATI-pages. Could anyone be so kind to give me a link or something?

You can probably just install the 5.11 or 5.12 drivers. You might want to check out the Hewlett Packard website to see if they have drivers for your laptop. If not, and you install the drivers from ATI, then you might get an error. If so, check out this Thread here. There you will find a crack that will allow the driver to install on your laptop.

kittcat73 said:
umm, what is a .net framework? how do I know if i need it or got it?

It is a special development network used by some companies to develop software that will theoretically be guaranteed to run on any system supported by the .net framework. As a result, perhaps even ironically, some programs developed in this framework require it to be installed in order to run. You don't need this to install your driver (I assume that's why your asking), but it is the only way to run some of the special interface software that the company has developed. All companies offer just a pure driver install that does not require you to install the .net framework.

HP/Compaq isn't very helpful for getting new drivers unfortunately. :( I have tried to download other drivers but I can't get them to work. Unless anyone can give me some advice I am resigned to the fact that I have to wait for HP/Compaq to update their laptop drivers. *Sigh*

i was using the omega drivers fix before, and it worked like a charm. when the latest patch and ATI driver came out, I figured I would give both of them a go. I was also wanting to run the new ATI catalyst drivers for other games i have installed as the Omega drivers seem to have issues with them.

So I installed the new patch for Civ4, and then put on the new drivers. I'm back at the begining of my slow crappy games now. Even at the start of a game, on a small map with one CPU player, turn 1, it is so slow and crappy I cant play a single round.

So it would seem if i wanted to play Civ4, I'm going to have to sacrifice my other games to run the Omega drivers, and not the new ATI catalyst drivers. Is this about right? Is anyone else seeing something similar?

i was using the omega drivers fix before, and it worked like a charm. when the latest patch and ATI driver came out, I figured I would give both of them a go. I was also wanting to run the new ATI catalyst drivers for other games i have installed as the Omega drivers seem to have issues with them.

So I installed the new patch for Civ4, and then put on the new drivers. I'm back at the begining of my slow crappy games now. Even at the start of a game, on a small map with one CPU player, turn 1, it is so slow and crappy I cant play a single round.

So it would seem if i wanted to play Civ4, I'm going to have to sacrifice my other games to run the Omega drivers, and not the new ATI catalyst drivers. Is this about right? Is anyone else seeing something similar?

Hi somewhat new to the site but not to Civ been playing since the first Civ. i am having the dreaded error "Failed to initialize renderer-Check Direct X version and Graphics settings" I have done everything that this site and what the Civ 4 support site says to try and still nothing!! Please Please someon help. I have all necessary system requirments and a Radeon 9550 card. Please help as I am going through withdrawls here!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom