Leader Screen and Distasteful Animation

pntran84

Chieftain
If not sure this is the correct terminology, but when I say leader screen, I mean the screen with the civ leader when you approach them for discussion and trade.

As we all know, computers doesn't have a personality, let alone a "Civ 5 AI". If they do have one, it's schizophrenic and the like of multiple personality disorder. For whatever the reason they end up disliking you, and so each time you open up this leader screen, the animation they portray for the dislike is horribly childish.

I hate how Maria of Portugual (flicks her hand), Ahmad of Morrocco (slaps his hand down), Elizabeth of English speech ("Oh, it's you again."), and the list goes on... Sadly, when you negotiate trade, fair ones, and one that they should take. They end up "flicking their hands". So I just close the window altogether.

I wish there would be an option to disable leader screen. The negative modifiers just turns them into sour old cows, and those modifiers are so hard to eliminate (if it ever could), and they end up inducing other type of negative modifiers. So I'd rather have trade screen, and pure text for denounce, discuss joint war venture, etc. I just can't stand such animation, let alone having it go on for the entire game.

On similar topic, it is funny how they behave when you caught them spying on you. It's more or less like: "omg what have I done. I dont' know what I was thinking. ..." The most ironic one is Boudicca of Celts. She gets all fire up and slam her swords. I end up feeling like: "All right, all right woman. Calm down, I' forgive you. It's not like I was the one doing the spying. :p"

Usually by turn 100 onwards, most civ dislike me for one reason or another. Thereafter, it only gets worst. Even when you propose trade that tip much in their favour to appease them, and it is still not good enough. Essentially, I don't open dialogue with them and letting them come to me for trade instead. Unless I need to initiate some war. It's bad enough seeing the ever-lasting red negative modifier, and then to have y and childish demeanour for the whole game is utterly distasteful!

A sad fact is that, this game draws on "great leaders of the world" and portray them as stupid tantrum throwing adolescent that is MTV reality TV.

1. You can disable them by setting your leaderscreen quality to Minimum, which disables ALL animations and instead shows off their static images.

2. The caught spying is actually their "deafeat" animation (probaly because they couldn't afford to create new animations FOR ALL existing civs that were in by G&K

3. Quite frankly I don't raelly mind them, it's a smart part.

Yes, the animations used for the caught-spying and stop-converting scenes are actually the defeat scenes. It's not gamebreaking, and I have got used to it, but for the first few months after G&K came out it did get on my nerves. Granted, it's not such a problem for the many whose languages I don't understand at all, but even for the ones I understand a little it's irritating.

It's kind of understandable them not wanting to or having the money to make a whole bunch of extra animation scenes for what is a fairly minor diplo mechanic (although arguably they could have at least recorded new animations for the G&K and BNW Civs, as when they were making the XPs they knew they would be introducing espionage and religion). What I don't understand is why they didn't get have the leaders pop up and do their normal, dialogue-free 'angry face' animation like they do when they're denouncing you instead? It would actually fit the context a lot better. Presumably there must be a way to edit the game so that it does that, although not being a modder, I personally steer clear of these things...

@blackcatatonic:
Distasteful? Boy, you really know know how to go over the top. I was expecting the complaint to be about some kind of sexual or violent situation in the game! I mean, come on, man, just because of the way someone`s wrist flicks?

Sure they should add more varied animations, I wish they did, but I`d hardly say it`s `distasteful`! :D

1. You can disable them by setting your leaderscreen quality to Minimum, which disables ALL animations and instead shows off their static images.

There you go, `distasteful` problem solved.

^^Where did blackcatatonic say anything was distasteful? The OP did.

It's worth noting that Elizabeth would never, in fact, say that she is "pleased to meet you." She might say she is glad to meet you, or delighted to meet you, but due to the possible multiple interpretations of the word "pleased," it was considered incorrect in high society to use "pleased to meet you" in any setting. (According to Emily Post, anyway.)

I sometimes pick at my forehead looking for blackheads between turns, now that's distasteful. Good thing the AI can't see me, not that I don't instinctively jolt out of that position every time.

Not that it matters, they all end up as my butlers and maids eventually. At least, that is what happens in my mind when I wipe someone out. Like most problems, this can easily be resolved with violence.

^^Where did blackcatatonic say anything was distasteful? The OP did.

oops, sorry, blackcatatonic!:blush:

I meant pntran84.

I like the way some of them have a hissy!
For instance, Gustavas stamps his cane in a very hrrmmphhh manner - which I believe translates as "Stockholm would make good target practise for your ships"

Yes, the animations used for the caught-spying and stop-converting scenes are actually the defeat scenes. It's not gamebreaking, and I have got used to it, but for the first few months after G&K came out it did get on my nerves.

I actually like that the defeated animations are used for something else. Especially now that wiping out a Civ carries such a HUGE penalty, a lot of players will never see most Civs' defeated animations. Heck, some peacemonger players may never see a single defeated animation now.

...unless they kill a spy or 18. ;)

I actually like that the defeated animations are used for something else. Especially now that wiping out a Civ carries such a HUGE penalty, a lot of players will never see most Civs' defeated animations. Heck, some peacemonger players may never see a single defeated animation now.

...unless they kill a spy or 18. ;)
However, some just make no sense when used for spying incidents. Catherine willing to become your slave? Bismark saying "Germany has been destroyed. I weep for the future generations"? Genghis Khan waiting for his execution? All these reactions are just wrong.

Gandhi needs a unique leaderscreen animation when he gets his hands on nukes.

It involves him giving the player an evil Kubrick stare as the screen darkens, and a distant sound of a nuclear bomb hits the ground, followed by Gandhi cackling evilly as his eyes and teeth shine.

We need to ham it up to eleven, people!

Gandhi needs a unique leaderscreen animation when he gets his hands on nukes.

It involves him giving the player an evil Kubrick stare as the screen darkens, and a distant sound of a nuclear bomb hits the ground, followed by Gandhi cackling evilly as his eyes and teeth shine.

We need to ham it up to eleven, people!

Spoiler :

I enjoy looking at Shaka's loincloth :mischief:

Seriously, To be honest at this stage in the game i don't even bother paying attention unless they are new leaders, I pay attention to why I have them on my screen and just go.

I mean, I get why you would be annoyed at it, as it is pretty childish behavior for a lot of them, but I'm not gonna criticize Firaxis for putting extra effort into the leaderscreens. I think it's nice that they do change expressions when they get mad at you, although they could be a little more dignified about it.

Do you realize that you typed out several paragraphs about how an animated figure upsets you? I've never read the rules for this forum because I never thought that I'd even have the opportunity to break them, but whether it's against the rules or not; I'm telling you that you should take up martial arts, rock climbing, kayaking, or something that will increase your self-confidence because this thread is pathetic.

If not sure this is the correct terminology, but when I say leader screen, I mean the screen with the civ leader when you approach them for discussion and trade.

As we all know, computers doesn't have a personality, let alone a "Civ 5 AI". If they do have one, it's schizophrenic and the like of multiple personality disorder. For whatever the reason they end up disliking you, and so each time you open up this leader screen, the animation they portray for the dislike is horribly childish.

I hate how Maria of Portugual (flicks her hand), Ahmad of Morrocco (slaps his hand down), Elizabeth of English speech ("Oh, it's you again."), and the list goes on... Sadly, when you negotiate trade, fair ones, and one that they should take. They end up "flicking their hands". So I just close the window altogether.

I wish there would be an option to disable leader screen. The negative modifiers just turns them into sour old cows, and those modifiers are so hard to eliminate (if it ever could), and they end up inducing other type of negative modifiers. So I'd rather have trade screen, and pure text for denounce, discuss joint war venture, etc. I just can't stand such animation, let alone having it go on for the entire game.

On similar topic, it is funny how they behave when you caught them spying on you. It's more or less like: "omg what have I done. I dont' know what I was thinking. ..." The most ironic one is Boudicca of Celts. She gets all fire up and slam her swords. I end up feeling like: "All right, all right woman. Calm down, I' forgive you. It's not like I was the one doing the spying. :p"

Usually by turn 100 onwards, most civ dislike me for one reason or another. Thereafter, it only gets worst. Even when you propose trade that tip much in their favour to appease them, and it is still not good enough. Essentially, I don't open dialogue with them and letting them come to me for trade instead. Unless I need to initiate some war. It's bad enough seeing the ever-lasting red negative modifier, and then to have y and childish demeanour for the whole game is utterly distasteful!

A sad fact is that, this game draws on "great leaders of the world" and portray them as stupid tantrum throwing adolescent that is MTV reality TV.

If you really don´t like these graphics, you can try to fix them by modding. If you are not able to fix them and the graphics really annoy you, you should try a different game.

I have the same problems with the "standing-on-top-of-a-table-and-looking-down-on- that-table-view" the world is graphically presented in Civ 4 and Civ 5 (and many other games using 3d-engines). As I´m not able to fix it, I stay with Civ 3 (especially as the - in my eyes- bad graphical presentation now in Civ 5 is combined with Steam-slavery).

I was expecting the complaint to be about some kind of sexual or violent situation in the game!

Top Bottom