Leman Russ Battle Tank - Unit Preview

muffins said:
Firstly - THANKS ZULU FOR THOSE PICS!! :worship:

I used them to create some Leman Russ variants :D

The models are not finished yet, though (hmmm ... things to do ... civ colour ... more details ... more Leman Russ versions ... little flags ... edit the colours ... plus a non-WH40k version)

@Kal-el - :rolleyes: I do female warriors and everyone complains that they're too big ... I do tanks and people moan that they're too small :crazyeye: ... consider it done :goodjob:

You gotta watch the Civ III scale. I would consider it an "exponential scale", since really, an Abrams would take up the entire 240x240 max FLC size compared to an infantry, and a Titan would not even be able to fit on the map. The Abrams maybe should have been 10% bigger, but not much more than that.

Normal, huge is huge.

Imagine a Huge next to your Titan, it would make it look like the titan is only twice as high.

Kal-el said:
Rouge Trader? Did you play as Avon Ladies and Mary Kay agents? :p

Oh you mean Rogue Trader! ;) Yeah I had some of those old figures. Wish they still made them. Course I haven't played 40K in 12 years, but heck. :D

Ambulls! Remember them? ;)

muffins said:
@Kal-el - :rolleyes: I do female warriors and everyone complains that they're too big ... I do tanks and people moan that they're too small :crazyeye: ... consider it done :goodjob:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :goodjob:

I'd say for the Leman Russ it should be the large. Remember people that a Rhino would be about the size of the normal tank, and the Baneblade would be the Huge size.

Kal-el said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :goodjob:

I'd say for the Leman Russ it should be the large. Remember people that a Rhino would be about the size of the normal tank, and the Baneblade would be the Huge size.

Perhaps an application of the richter scale would be in order.

If the unit is "real life" is ten times the size of a warrior unit, it should be twice as big.

If 100 times the size, then only 3 times the size of a warrior

Neomega said:
Perhaps an application of the richter scale would be in order.

If the unit is "real life" is ten times the size of a warrior unit, it should be twice as big.

If 100 times the size, then only 3 times the size of a warrior
I agree, which is why I didn't propse that the Leman Russ be the Huge size. It should be larger than a regular tank. I am hoping that muffins will be doing the Rhino (+variants :mischief: ) and the Baneblade (+variants :eek: ) in which case it only makes sense to plan for those now when deciding how large to make the Leman Russ. Right?

I'd say slightly smaller that the large one... But larger than the normal :D

:bounce: Awesome! Make mroe make more make more!

Once you get done with these tanks you ought to try for the Thunderhawk Gunship and Space Marine Landspeeder (and variants).

Then maybe some Eldar units?

Last Preview before I start to animate.

I've got eight versions of the Leman Russ :D

Clockwise from the top -

* Modified version for people wanting a WWI style tank
*Standard Leman Russ
*Executioner (plasmacannon)
*Destroyer (heavy lascannon)
*Vanquisher (anti-tank)
*Exterminator (twin autocannons)
*Standard Leman Russ 2
*Standard Leman Russ 3

I might change the texture on the Destroyer if it gives me troble with the civ-colour ...

Are the sizes ok for everyone? They should be slightly larger than the normal sized tanks

Looks great :goodjob: I have a few humble requests on animating (if you don't mind):

Could the Leman Russ rock back when it fires?

Could the Vanquisher deploy stabilisers in the attack flc so that it doesn't rock back?

Could the Exterminator's twin autocannon not fire like machine guns, but rather like two small cannon firing one after the other in rapid succession?

Could part of the Destroyer and Executioner glow in a buildup to firing?

Love that WWI tank, btw :goodjob:

@Zulu - the models are all equiped to have main-wepon recoil - having the tank rock bak is easy ;)

I like the idea of stabilisers - I might do them for both the Vanquisher and Destroyer

I was planning on doing the autocannons like the bolters (the gunflash switching positions in each frame) ... is that what you're after?

Got the first Leman Russ almost finished (animation wise) :D

That looks great! Although...the cannon in the middle of the hull is actually a laser cannon. Additionally, is it possible to do different explosion FX for the different guns?

And yes, the autocannon gunflash switching position is exactly what I was after :)

I must say, you've gotten very good at modelling in a very short space of time.

Great Job there Muffins :beer:
Though the Destroyer is not just a Heavy LasCannon it is TurboLaser Cannon like that mounted on the Titans.
on the Exterminator it is an anti-infantry model variant so could you mount the sponson mounted Heavy Bolters on it, because it does come with them.
The rest are great units I love them.
though I do have a request for you...it is the Mars pattern Leman Russ with a Ryza turret. If you notice it has a heavy Bolter instead of the lascannon in the front hull. if you could use this chassis for the Exterminator I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks Klyde :worship: :salute:

Attachments

• Ryzalr3.jpg
    Ryzalr3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom