Let's Pla.... Let's Troll CivWorld!

baldfalk

Warlord
Alrighty, if you've followed a little of my posting habits on CFC, you'll probably notice that I'm a little bit of a troll with a really awkward sense of humor, and that I'm an achievement nut.

CivWorld has 36 achievements, all of them which are relatively simple except two - 1000 fame, and getting 10 Military medals. I completely lucked out on my first game, getting good advise from nation-mates and despite starting off terribly due to not knowing how game mechanics went, managed to remain at the top of the pile in my nation and end at 1168 fame. (I had a little civbuck help at the end just to be sure) Incidentally this game was also a hilarious trollfest, but more on that later

AAAANYWAY, with only 24 population and 10 military medals achievements left, I started to devise a plan for 10 military medals. Sitting in a warmonger civ with the biggest army didn't seem like it'd be the most reliable way to handle this, so I thought I'd take my chances by playing normally till mid-game, amassing a 'decent' army, then leaving to start a 1-man nation to farm the inactive/small civs. Since I'd be the only combatant, that was a guaranteed medal per invasion.

I did so. When I left, the only civ available to build was India. I hate India. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE India, thanks to Civ 5 and Gandhi never failing to backstab me every single time (often with nukes) However, since it was the only option available to me, I went with the gig. Declared 4 wars, which would mean 3 repetitions to breach 10 medals assuming I won everything.

My thought was if they defended strongly enough to worry me, I'd talk to them, telling them 'hey you don't lose anything if I win, so just retreat' but if all else failed I'd let them have the win since -I- wouldn't lose anything either. Keeping my army intact was more important since I couldn't rebuild replacements - I had no tech. I could only rebuild buffer fortified militia/natives/etc.

And then I had another amazing idea. What if I did the same to the strongest nation in the game for the heck of it? Just declare war, and not show up, see what happened. SO BEGAN THE GREAT INDIAN INVASION OF JAPAN. Where Bollywood attempts to go head-to-head with anime/manga culture.

4 hours down the line. WHAT'S THIS? This is totally unprecedented! I'd totally expected Japan to roll over and let me take all their wonders. Why are they defending?

Well, on a more serious note, why are they throwing such large stacks at me? Did they not bother to check who exactly was invading, and that I had a paltry ~100 unit, single-nation army?

And then another thought hit me. A frightening thought. An ugly thought. What if... what if Secret Weapon showed up? That would be an amazing troll considering I didn't even intend to fight the battle in the first place.

If you read my other thread about being market-OCD, you'd know I have market control in every game I play and I'm a Great Person nut. I decided to check prices on GPs.

Why GPs? Well, originally, I'd actually planned to wait till ~Global Era, then spam-build wonders with all the GPs I'd amassed through the game and become a pinata, to see all the countries suddenly fight over me (and possibly defend me against each other so they could nab the wonders themselves) since I'm such a troll.

I changed plans. I decided I'd wait till Japan's vote to invade China passed (it was up) so they'd commit to it, then force secret weapon out if necessary by spamming Wonder Events. (I'm a solo nation, it only costs 2 GP per force)

Sure enough, with the uncanny way that these things happen, the last vote to pass the Chinese invasion came in the middle of the night. I decided I'd wait till the next Wonder Event shuffle before spamming my own force-changes. I figured with that and the GP I had, it'd be ~10 changes, or roughly 1 - (0.875^10) = 73.7% chance of succesfully forcing Secret Weapon. I like those odds.

I go back to working on projects, come back a couple of hours later, and whhhhoooaoaaaaa nelly what do you know.

I'll let the other images speak for themselves. At that point their units had pushed 3 pages on the battlefield. I exaggerate not. 3 pages.

So, I've actually managed to become the incarnation of Civ5 AI Gandhi - getting pissed at you for no apparent reason then trotting out the nukes. And I had 1 city, typical of Civ5 India playstyle. Funny how these things turn out. Of course, now if anyone from that game reads this thread, I'm probably dead. Hell, I'm probably dead anyway because no one likes a succesful troll. Anyway, I hope this proved at -least- a little amusing. I'll report back as to who wins Japan vs. China.

edit: Since I had the Great People to spare, why the hell not

edit: p.s. I'm such a great troll I even managed to troll myself by thinking "hey, if I build a whole bunch of lv1 buildings then popped Renaissance, wouldn't I become rich?" So I spent 5 minutes spamming up the entire map with the awful build interface while flash became more and more laggy as it always did.

Obviously I was a little miffed when I found out it seems to only upgrade one building of each type. Doh.

This is why putting armies up as soon as battle is declared is just plain silly, Rome and now Japan have learned that the hard way ;).

It's both the timeframe as well as the fact that I had a paltry 1-man nation with 5 stacks of ~20 units (which is readily available information via the game interface). I mean, I can understand casuals logging on, seeing a battle then throwing units in, but when the biggest stacks go up 15 hours before battle? Uh.

Anyway! Since this is actually a Let's Play thread about my mad goal to get 10 military medals disguised as a troll thread, we should continue. I now have 3 medals under my belt, quelling some moderate resistance who wouldn't listen to reason. There's another 6 battles queued up (not counting Japan) so I'm in pretty good shape. I also have decent-ish tech now instead of just pottery and alphabet, so that means if absolutely necessary I can bolster my forces somewhat with my production stash (of which I'm un-ethically war-profiteering at the moment).

WHY GANDHI, WHY??? (Note: Gandhi pictured here is more aggressive than the Barbarians!)

Oh, speaking of battles, the next battle up is Japan. It seems after the nukes, they reinforced somewhat, but I guess I should at least make an effort to see if I could potentially win. I mean, a domination victory wouldn't hurt, right?

Oh God, this doesn't look too good. Well, at least 8-11604 is better than 1-36092. I like these odds! Plus, my legion has weather advantage so he should do pretty well! I'll report back how this battle goes. SPARTAAA

edit:

He's getting hammered :(

edit2:
He died. :'( After valiantly fighting off the might of the entire Japanese army single-handedly for over 10 minutes, he finally succumbed to numerous puncture wounds resulting from their relentless strikes. Rest in peace, Leonidas.

edit3: As a brief look into the progress of the achievement itself: This is what the fights have generally looked like so far.

A very typical person who wouldn't listen to reason. Ah well, I guess I'll just have to wipe out the entire army. I tried and tried yelling at him nonstop but he just wouldn't withdraw. Oh, maybe that was because he was offline. But that's just details. NONE SHALL STAND BETWEEN ME AND MY ACHIEVEMENT.

Japan vs China at the moment, a few hours away. Seems pretty close at the moment. Historically, this would be the precursor to WWII - I wonder if I should step in and alter history.

...Well, any more than one where already Gandhi invades 7 countries and nukes Japan.

edit: 13500-11000ish in favor of Japan now. Not much I could even do if China doesn't log on to fix the ******ed unit orders. :( Oh well.

Oh Jesus what have I done

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edit1:
It's now 18000-18000. THIS IS ABOUT AS CLOSE AS IT GETS FOLKS.

I think I should head over to the Wonders screen and see what's available.

OH MY GOD LOL

Well, I can't have either side blowing the other up unfairly (only Gandhi is allowed to do this) so I built them both:

Okay, time to grab the popcorn!

Edit2:

I guess I'll throw in my lot! Although both sides have absolutely no idea how to do unit orders. I never liked DragonBallZ anyway.

Edit3:
Japan just ninja-built Leonardo, it's now 21k-20k in Japan's favor

Edit4:

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

Edit5:

THIS IS IT. Both sides have finished their last-minute jostling. Both armies stand lined up eyeing each other across the scorched battlefield waiting for thSPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edit6:
It was going toe-to-toe, 21k-21k

Weather just changed to Foggy. That + rifleman/artillery spam on both sides = 39k-33k in favor of defense now rofl

Edit7:
Japan just discovered Electricity. Were they holding out on production to spam submarines? LET'S FIND OUT.

Edit8:
China won. WWII has been averted! Unfortunately some Chinese players logged on at the last minute and started sh1ttalking Japan (Yeah, they did a whole lot!). I don't know if I can cope with this. What actually transpired behind the scenes will never come to light. Maybe it's best if it's kept that way. For the sake of humanity.

By "what actually transpired" I actually mean a madman rapidly swapping a huge stack between retreat and heroic at a rapid pace (every second or so) to randomly determine who had rating advantage each round through more than half the battle since battles aren't nearly random enough in this game. (although during foggy weather the victor was clear)

I'll just leave this here. In Civ5 terms, it means although Gandhi had good relations with China, when China defeated Japan (despite Japan being the aggressor, and despite Gandhi being involved in the war), Gandhi suddenly swapped over to "We think you're a warmongering menace to the world". Yeah, Civ5 diplo AI makes sense.

edit:

IT'S A MIRACLE, LEONIDAS IS ALIVE! Unfortunately China doesn't have a sense of humor :(

Now sitting at 7/10 medals. Two thirds of the way there!

Unfortunately a small flaw in the strategy has emerged: Some of the inactive nations I was attacking have either quit or been removed due to inactivity, cancelling the battles even though the nations were replaced soon after. This calls for drastic measures. A three-pronged attack! They can't all coincidentally quit, right?

Might as well invade Rome (the 3rd of the 3 big nations in this game) while we're at it. I mean, if Secret Weapon shows up, the more damage, the better, right?

Leonidas is so strong he will fight both China and Rome at the same time.

However it appears he has cloned himself so now there are two of him (WTF?)

Well, the Spartans DID actually have a dual monarchy in those days, so it's bang on historically ;)

9/10 medals. I guess all the extra battles I've lined up are overkill. :|

omg African League is a total cutie<3 I will attack and lose so they get all the tech I've been collecting.

That's sorta like STDs. Ew.

Leonidas vs Chinese Army: NOT GOING WELL

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

edit: LEONIDAS NOOOOO

I wouldn't have done it except -he- started it!

Okay, I guess I broke character in-game for a moment there. I'm a failure as a troll. :(

edit2: Haha oh wow, I accidentally nuked the Romans too. :| I thought they'd withdraw stuff considering some of them are actually reading this thread. Sorry guys!

edit3: I'm watching Chinese total $ go down on the world screen, so I head over to the market to check it out.

Um, okay, thanks for helping fund Nuclear Gandhi!

edit4:

It is a sad day when there is a nuke up but no one to use it on.

That should fix it!

Uh oh! China has started to defend the inactive states. Is my quest going to end in failure at 9/10? Have I ultimately trolled myself out of my achievement by being the incarnation of Nuclear Gandhi? :(

Success!

And now for my next trick:

I guess now that I'm completely out of production stockpile and out of $, the trolling opportunities have begun to dry up. :( I'm hoping for one last Call to Arms for whoever invades for Magna Carta.
editInterject: AUADGFAUDSF I'M LINED UP FOR BATTLE AGAINST JAPAN/CHINA, they'll get Magna Carta before anyone can invade. Doh.

Why do I do this, you may ask? Especially considering CFC's policy against actual forum trolling. The short answer is, I like to think outside the box and break games so that normal people don't have to. I mean hell... the game is in beta and could use some balancing passes (the pay2win is strong in this one)

If you've read up to this point, thanks for following along; hope it's been as amusing to you as it has to me.

edit: wanted to draw attention to http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?114103-The-true-effects-of-a-1-man-nation

Final edit: There always is an encore.

Top Bottom