Let's pool our ideas for our own game

Unfortunately, the latest attempt at creating our own Civ-based game, IndieCiv, seems to have been abandoned. We beta testers haven't heard from jimmyh for months, and we're left with nothing but a primitive demo. This whole process of waiting for a hero to rise up and start a project, then rehashing all of our ideas as he goes off and codes something up, clearly isn't working.

That said, I've created a new page on Modiki for archiving the discussions about our own game: http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Independent_Game_Ideas

The page includes references to all of the previous attempts, some major discussion threads, and a section for summarizing ideas that we've come up with. I've populated first 2 sections with what I could find, but left the latter mostly blank. That's for you all to fill in. I included some guidelines to try to keep it from getting out of control, and a few examples to prime the pump.

Hopefully, this will reduce the repeated discussions that come up every time, and encourage someone who does want to attempt something to start off on the right foot. It's a wiki page, so any of us can contribute to keep it complete and current. That way, when a new discussion does come up we don't have to go digging through old threads or repeating the same arguments.
Nice page, do we need to make a new account to edit the Modiki or do we use the same as here? I've never done more than look at it.
Does nobody here know a hacker capable of going in and having a look at all of the code we already have currently available to us?
I know a few people who might do that but you'd have to pay up a fee which you could just use to fund your own game.
That's why I drifted away from a clone and started on SSS then SGF. Unfortunately I never could find a good team to work on that, with programmer and most importantly artists ready to do what I needed when I required it.
Surely the fact I changed for hexagon last year, after several years working with iso squares with no real support from artist, shows how inexact (I won't use another word so I won't have to autoinfract me) this comment is.

Beside, the quality of the terrain gfx depends greatly on the artist and what he does with raw materials. For instance, we could have some very nice graphics potentially, but with a very poor choice and ligthning and very dark shadow you spoil them.

We can have crappy graphics with iso, and good graphics with hex.
I might ba able to do something about that. Summer is coming, and I'll have a lot of free time at night.

You have to create a separate account for the Wiki. It's pretty simply, but let me know if you have any trouble registering or editing because I had to go through a lot of troubleshooting with the mods to get that page up. Apparently the whole wiki had been broken and forgotten about.

Steph, I know you're busy with your mod again and who knows what else, but my offer to help with SGF development still stands if you have any tasks that I can do.

I thought I would Google IndieCiv for a laugh and managed to stumble upon this thread and the wiki. I was quite shocked to see Humanitas and IndieCiv mentioned on the wiki.

Rest assured IndieCiv has not been abandoned and I'm still very committed and dedicated to it, unfortunately RL took over and prevented me from continuing to work on IndieCiv.

I've been back on the project for just over a month and it's moved along quite a bit.

Oh and I think the wiki needs to be updated :p

Top Bottom