Main Site Re-opened

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I am happy to announce that the main site has re-opened! :)

I have imported all the articles into the new CMS, but additional work still need to be done to make sure the articles are all linked properly and correctly. This will be an ongoing process.

There are also some articles with BBCode that are not supported by the new CMS, those BBCodes would need to be updated to regular HTML codes.

Currently the new CMS is not linked to the forum, although in the near future we may install an addon to link the users data from the forums.

We also plan to eventually import all the old news posts into the new CMS.

Please feel free to post feedback and comments here.

Anything with URL like http://www.civfanatics.com/A/B are old links. Will need to fix those...
I will explore using URL re-write to keep same URLs if possible.

News posters, please create new account there and let me know and I will provide post privilege. Frontpage no longer pulls news from the News Updates forum.

(I'm probably doing something wrong, but) I can't seem to log in through the new front page (yet). When I click on the 'Meta: Login' link, I get to the 'Enter your username and password' page, but my details then get rejected. Conversely, if I click through directly to the 'Forums' section, I can then use the Sign-in box (in the upper left) without a problem.

In other news: While making posts, since the migration I've found that if I use cut-and-paste to rearrange any of my input (whether before or after hitting 'post reply' or 'preview'), the new software tends to insert spurious linebreaks prior to (or following) the pasted reinsertion, which I can't easily remove (not so much 'hard returns' as 'Chuck Norris returns'!).

By trial and error, I've found a way to get rid of these linebreaks, but it's not at all elegant: it requires re-copying/re-cutting the text I'd just inserted, deleting the linebreak (including the last and first characters of the lines above and below it, just to be sure), and then reinserting the text block as run-on text at the end of the preceding line (and then reinserting anything I'd deleted). Sometimes I have to do this more than once to make the change 'stick'.

This is on a Mac-mini, OS v.10.6.8, Safari 5.1.10 (our IT guy has been promising to replace/ upgrade my machine for a while now, but hasn't got round to it yet...)

The login issue you mentioned is expected, as there is no integration with the forum yet for users database.

Last edited:
I am only able to use the main site top menu on my Fire Tablet. For example, I can select the Civ 4 menu and see the main Civ4 home site just fine. When I try to select a submeu, I can see the drop down menu for about 1/2 second, but any selection I make is ignored. For example there is no way for me to select the Civ IV War Academy or any article in it.

I saw this issue in the default Silk browser; I also installed Opera, but saw exactly this same issue with that browser too.

I can work around this issue, if I know and enter the full URL of the web page I want to see, but the submenus really need to work for all devices (the old web site did work fine on all my devices in all respects).

Using my Samsung Galaxy phone on the main web site, I see just the Home menu, but it does open a popup menu containing all submenus and subsubmenus, etc., which is great!

I do have a rendering issue when I try to view the Civ IV Civilizations web page. Both some text and the Civilization table are truncated on the right side. I'm missing the last 15% of each line of text or the last 15% of each row of the tablet:

Screenshot_2016-10-18-11-00-17-1.png

There is no way to resize the text or table to see the missing last 15%. Please fix this. I am using the Google Chrome web browser on my phone; selecting/unselecting get desktop web site has no effect.

I'm not sure whether another web browser would work better; I will try other web browsers on my phone to see whether that makes any difference.

EDIT: Firefox has the exact same issue.

Nice job !
Thanks to keep alive our dreams !!!

I can access the Civ IV War Academy main page, but none of the articles inside are accessible, because neither my Fire Tablet or my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone can not see the Civ IV War Academy menu or links to any of its articles. A fresh copy of Opera on both devices has no effect on this issue.

I had no issues accessing the old Civfanatics main web site from either device.

Thanks for re-opening the main Civfanatics web site, but from my perspective (Civ IV player), you have significantly more work to do to make it really useable. The Civ IV War Academy is my most used (~95%) part of the main Civfanatics web site.

EDIT: The Civ4 Strategy Articles (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-strategy-articles.156/) forum contains every Civ IV War Academy article, plus the forum aritcle is where any update to the article would occur, so its articles may be more up to date than the War Academy articles. The Civ IV War Academy provides a superior topical organization of the articles though!

Is there a way to see the main web site map with full URLs listed for each web page/article? The URLs could be copy and pasted within a web browser, until the main web site navigation issues are resolved.

Last edited:
I was unable to login just using my username. Took me a while to remember what email account I had linked to this forum. Not sure if this will be ongoing, still kind of frustrating.

Oh, and hey! My title shouldn't be "member" it should be "king"...is the post level reward gone? If so...boo

Top Bottom