Marine built in city with Alhambra and Brandenburg?

I was NC

Chieftain
Has anyone done this? If so, does the unit have five promotions? Seems like it would be Amphibious, Rough I, then the three from Barracks, Armory, Military Academy, and Brandenburg. What a bad@ss! Or am I missing something?

For crying out softly -- you forgot your Heroic Epic!
Heroic Epic is better than Alhambra in unit strength: 15% in ALL circumstances, not just in rough terrain. Of course, Alhambra gives the city more culture.

But yes, having 60 XP out of the gate is great, especially for air units which can start with air repair. Add in the level-2 Autocracy tenet Total War and you can have 75 XP.

Doesn't matter where you have Statue of Zeus, it's a "free" global promotion ("free" in the sense that, like Alhambra and Heroic epic, it doesn't require XP and doesn't increase the XP required for any other promotion). And its a promotion that applies to all units (like combat benefits from social policies and tenets), starting the moment you get SoZ (but it's lost if you lose the city in which SoZ is located).

Aren't we talking about the most epic marine that can be obtained (without even gaining XP in battle)?

Aren't we talking about the most epic marine that can be obtained (without even gaining XP in battle)?

Exactly. Seems as if what I've described is how to have the most promotions out of the gate (in G&K, haven't upgraded yet).

Has anyone done this? If so, does the unit have five promotions? Seems like it would be Amphibious, Rough I, then the three from Barracks, Armory, Military Academy, and Brandenburg. What a bad@ss! Or am I missing something?

In terms of pure XP bonus, the maximum is 90 XP on build.

Assyrian also gets Royal Library, with a great work, its another +15XP, so with Brandenburg, you starts off with 75XP + Amphibious. And with Autocracy's Total War, you get another 15XP, maxing it out at 90XP.

And then there is Himeji, Zeus, Heroic Epic, Alhambra for additional bonuses. If you add discipline from Honor (+15% for adjacent) and Just War from Religion (30% against enemy of same religion)... well...

Assyrian also gets Royal Library, with a great work, its another +15XP, so with Brandenburg, you starts off with 75XP + Amphibious. And with Autocracy's Total War, you get another 15XP, maxing it out at 90XP.

And then there is Himeji, Zeus, Heroic Epic, Alhambra for additional bonuses. If you add discipline from Honor (+15% for adjacent) and Just War from Religion (30% against enemy of same religion)... well...

At that point i think they cease being soldiers but TERMINATORS!

At that point i think they cease being soldiers but TERMINATORS!

Especially Caroleans, just build them with ALL the buildings and wonders, and enjoy the march/blitz/drill3/woodsman units.

IIRC, by the time you get Brandenburg your units will be Gunpowder or Infantry, not Melee, which Discipline only applies to. Once you upgrade your Longswordsmen to Musketmen, they no longer get the Discipline bonus, I believe.

In vanilla there were quests to litteraly wipe out rival CS, instead of bullying, I liked that. Maybe it would have fun to have a quest like "Our friend, Kuala Lampour, has been invaded by Mongolia. Free them, and we'll reward you!"

IIRC, by the time you get Brandenburg your units will be Gunpowder or Infantry, not Melee, which Discipline only applies to. Once you upgrade your Longswordsmen to Musketmen, they no longer get the Discipline bonus, I believe.

No that's not right. I've got a cataphract upgraded to landship in my current game that's retained heroic epic the entire time. My new units get it to. I think it applies to anything but planes. It ought to apply to workers too! They improve 15% faster!!!

I've got a cataphract upgraded to landship in my current game that's retained heroic epic the entire time.

He was talking about the SP discipline, from the Honor tree.

In a city next to Mount Kilimanjaro ! :D

This is why America's Minutemen are some of the best UU in the game. Their innate ability to ignore rough terrain is already better than amphibious, war canoe, or any other janky special ability another UU might get. Combine that with the fact that they start with Drill I and add on a Rax, Armory, Military Academy, and Brandenburg Gate and you have Marching Minutemen right out of the gate that ignore terrain costs. No competing with the 6 AI's in your game who will rush for Alhambra, all you need is Brandenburg which AIs don't prioritize.

Top Bottom