Massive Barb Rush

I was playing the Persians on the huge (24 civ) map on Prince (at marathon speed) and at first things were going fine. I settled three or four cities, started building an infrastructure, etc. Then after a little while, I start having barbs coming up from the Arabian Peninsula attacking Susa (at the southern tip of Mesopotamia) and having to station most of my units there to fight them off. Then, as I start trying to expand into central Iran, barb javelineers and tribal warriors start showing up in groups of three. They sack one city I'd just founded and were about to raze another when I gave up. I know it's not just me either, because I saw on the info screen that the capital of Media had been taken by barbarians a little earlier. I understand that the area to the east of my starting point is going to be a massive breeding ground for barbarians (being uninhabited), but having to fight an endless two-front war from the get-go seems a little ridiculous. It's not like I have the resources to pump out units without giving up on growth completely (I'd JUST discovered mining), and I don't remember it being this bad when I'd played civilizations in the same area on this same mod before (albeit on Noble).

I don't think you can go into Custom Game and turn on/off Raging Barbs with a scenario, so is there any way I can turn down their spawn rate?

Yeah maybe Barbarians are just more brutal in this mod.

I playing Carthage with raging barbarians right now, not a good choice :(

All those desert squares that will never be settled with endless waves of barbs

In a custom scenario, you have these barbarian options:

No Barbarians

Raging Barbarians

The barbarian presence on the outskirts on a normal setting allow far flung empires like Persia or Carthage to expand and build experienced units which you send to the "civilized" front once you have leveled them up.

Emmm, I'm playing the standard med map (well I added 3 more civs to balance the map), I play raging barbarians and I just need to go directly archery or wood working than two or three units dedicated to fighting them. It's actually useful because you gain some xp. the only problem I've seen is that some AI civs are wiped out early due to that. And I play either Emp or Mon

Top Bottom