Merlot Mafia: Last Queen of the Amazons

Suicide note? How so? :dunno:

I... I'm sorry. I just fail to understand how gloating over our now unstoppable victory is suicide... :confused:

...Should... Should I be... Worried about something? :run:

:mischief:

If there is two mafia, then no. If just one mafia, then yes, I would worry.

Wait.... what? What happened to my vote???

If you don't count my vote it is going to look like I am mafia. Why wasn't my vote counted???!

Wait.... what? What happened to my vote???

If you don't count my vote it is going to look like I am mafia. Why wasn't my vote counted???!

It was counted but as Winston reported the arcane rules kicked in and Caledorn was lynched.

Suicide note? How so? :dunno:

I... I'm sorry. I just fail to understand how gloating over our now unstoppable victory is suicide... :confused:

...Should... Should I be... Worried about something? :run:

:mischief:

Actually ... I'm a little annoyed that I have spent entirely too much time in this game and it looks like my vote didn't even count. I'm going to be interested to see how that is addressed.

Having spent the day running in from outside and continually hitting refresh to make sure that the mafia didn't vote, seeing that there was a vote... and responding... If I made all that effort to see some favortism happen... well...

Needless to say this game may take a turn from enjoyable to a waste of time.

Your vote was counted, dear Ash. ;)

It is merely that I have the ability to automatically break any ties in my favour. :goodjob:

True, I do not have the capability to assassinate people at night, but seeing as it has happened like clockwork every night from the start until now, there MUST be at least one other mafia assisting our cause from the shadows. :cool:

Once he's killed off another townie tonight, it'll be left at 2v2. Then, if we have to lynch another tomorrow, using my aforementioned ability we can knock off another townie securing our victory. :king:

Well played, gentlemen. It was a truly intriguing game. :)

Your vote was counted, dear Ash. ;)

It is merely that I have the ability to automatically break any ties in my favour. :goodjob:

What? What are you talking about.

I'm annoyed. I think I'm done with this. I

Vote: mgmgsmuhammad

Turn after that I:

Vote: Tegvtec

I'm off to enjoy a beautiful day away from this last minute silliness. Its unfortunate I participated. I won't make that mistake again.

I've had it since the very beginning.

Winston has not cheated you in any manner.

Heck, the only person here who can be accused of playing you in any form is myself for lasting long enough to use it.

Hold it against me, I have no quarrel with the price for my deception. But Winston is innocent.

Here is as much proof as I can offer to absolve his case:

I'm not bitter, or holding anything against anyone in particular... you, Winston, Sid or otherwise

I'm just annoyed that the game isn't being played by the rules as they were explained to me and I have lost faith that there aren't further exceptions and silliness.

As such I'm doing the respectable thing - I'm not taking part. As a courtesy for those still playing I cast my two votes for the next two turns (so my absence wouldn't ruin the game for them).

Afterall, Tegvtec could have the ability to "win" any time he declares himself winner... or any other manner of silliness. I respect that this is the game Winston ran, and his efforts... but I'm not interested in playing a game where I reasonably expect the rules to be one thing and find out that they could be anything.

No harm. No foul. Carry on. :) Have a good game!

If I made all that effort to see some favortism happen... well...

There has been no favouritism. All rules were determined before the mafia were chosen (which, as I said before, was totally random), and have been rigidly adhered to throughout the game.

Also, if you're worried about game balance, I can reassure you that I consulted a highly-experienced and well-respected GM* before settling on the present game mechanics.

*A gentleman named askthepizzaguy, who has hosted 20+ mafia games across several different forums (including these two here at CFC), and has participated in many many more.

I'm just annoyed that the game isn't being played by the rules as they were explained to me and I have lost faith that there aren't further exceptions and silliness.

I never explained what would happen in the event of a tie. It's standard practice for a GM to leave unstated things that might help the innocents figure out who the mafia are.

Well, go on and try to get Mgsmuhammad! It seems the mafia do not know each other (assuming the screenshot was of the only pm received about being villain) and for them the victory condition might be to remain as the sole survivor. Like the mystery tiebreaker rule, the victory conditions might be slightly more complicated than what we've been led to believe.

In fact, when Winston said he had been thinking of adding a twist before the game, I immediately thought of "2 mafia factions", but I dismissed the thought as impractical. Hmm..
Okay, I'm nearly ready now. Sorry for the delay - had a busy time with RL stuff, and then I had a last-minute idea for a change to the game, and then some beer forced me to drink it. :blush:

As long as it is not over officially, it is not over. Who knows, maybe the assasin decides to assasinate Mgsmuhammad during the night? :) Maybe all 4 left in the game are villains? Maybe the assasin special ability is compensated by inability to vote. (Has everyone voted at least once?) Or they may not vote only if the spent the previous night awake. (Or may assasinate only after passing.) In such cases the game is far from over.

Or maybe it is over. Oh well. As long as the official status is "running", do keep trying, though.

Day 4 - The Fouler Sex

As the sun began to rise in the eastern sky, Princess Umarth rolled over in her bed, disturbed by a sound at the window. As her sleepy eyes adjusted to the morning light, she perceived a figure climbing down onto the floor of her chamber. It took a moment for her to recognise the intruder's face, but when she did, it was with a profound sense of shock.

"You? But what..."

Her question was cut short. Looking down, Princess Umarth saw the shaft of a spear sticking out from her chest, where the intruder had thrust it. As the last, baffled thoughts raced through the mind of the dying Princess, her attacker lifted her clean off the ground and used the spear to suspend her on the bedroom wall. Leaving her there to slowly bleed to death, the killer climbed back out of the window, minded that there was another appointment to be met before breakfast.

At this exact moment, in a secluded corridor elsewhere in the Palace, mgsmuhammed stood waiting. Well aware that his revelation the previous night would lead to certain death if this meeting did not go as planned, he felt a little uncomfortable. What if the cause of male emancipation was not the killer's motive? In that case, he might very soon find himself lacking those bodily features which distinguish his kind from the ruling caste of the Amazons.

Caught in this sobering reflection, mgsmuhammed let his guard down for a few seconds. Long enough, it turned out, for someone to sneak up behind him and press a blade to his throat.

"So, male, you dare to infiltrate the court of the Amazons. Are you aware of the punishment for such a crime?"

Taking a moment to compose himself, mgsmuhammed replied in as clear a voice as he could manage:

"I have no regrets. The natural order has been upset, and if I die in the cause of redressing that wrong... Well, so be it!"

The blade pulled tighter against his windpipe, and msgmuhammed was sure that his moment had come. But then, without warning, the knife was withdrawn, and the figure stepped out of the shadows, with a large grin on his face...

"That's all I needed to hear. Now, let's finish this!"

-----------------------------------​

A short while later, the remaining Princesses assembled in the Throne Room once more. In the wake of his revelations the previous night, it was assumed that mgsmuhammed would quickly be tried and convicted, both for his obvious treachery in the death of Princess Caledorn, and for his being - horror of horrors - a man.

Looking around at the others gathered there, Princess landlubber seemed rather nervous as she inquired as to whether they had seen Princess Umarth that morning. With Princesses ash88 and Tegvtec remaining silent, her gaze settled on the smirking figure of mgsmuhammed.

"What have you done, you monster?" landlubber cried, advancing on the smug-faced male, and drawing a blade from beneath her robes. At the last minute, however, she turned away, and leapt towards a startled Tegvtec, thrusting the blade straight into the Princess's throat. As the true nature of the situation finally dawned on Princess ash88, she drew her own weapon and waved it towards her advancing foes...

"It's too late now" growled landlubber, finally allowing his deep, masculine voice to ring out in its natural manner. "There is no stopping us. We men will rule over the Amazons".

"The sisterhood will never accept a male ruler!" replied ash88, defiantly. "You can't hide your true identities forever!"

"Ah, but we don't need to..." said mgsmuhammed, who now held in his hands the War Club that had been used for the executions. "This experiment in democracy has shown how easy it is to manipulate you people to our own ends. All it requires is to put in place a simple voting system, and the sisterhood will do whatever we command of them. They'll be so enamoured of their newfound 'rights', that they won't even think to question who it is that's really pulling the strings. Now, let's get this over with. We've got a country to run..."
Spoiler :
Princess Umarth was Innocent
Princess Tegvtec was Innocent
Princess ash88 was Innocent

Congratulations to landlubber and mgsmuhammed, aka the Fake Princesses.

Game over. The Mafia have won a Total Victory

Oh, the irony.

Landlubber was going to get it in the first vote and things were looking nice, until the discussion prompted me to write another sarcastic comment against abstaining. Doing that, I found out that abstaining would actually be most likely helpful instead of harmful and decided to withdraw the vote...

Closer to the end, I was hoping ash would be (one of) the villain, since his play would've been so awesome had he been one. Regardless, even this outcome is quite close to what would've been the awesome bit: we proved that monarchy > voting nonsense.

I'd just like to say thanks to all who participated. For a bunch of people who (to my knowledge) had little or no experience of mafia games, you actually did a great job of working out how to play the game. Sadly for the innocents, you guys learned a couple of tough lessons along the way, which I may talk about later on.

As for the villains, this was a really excellent performance. Either one of you could easily have ended up killing the other, but you managed to avoid that. Had there been an experienced mafia player amongst the innocents, then the pair of you might have got caught out thanks to your ready desire to abstain (often seen as a 'scummy' - ie. mafialike - thing to do). Anyhow, landlubber's kill choices were excellent, and he did a great job of avoiding suspicion after picking up some votes early on. And, as for mgsmuhammed, that move last night with the last minute accusation of Caledorn was one of the ballsiest moves I've ever seen in a mafia game. I can't help wondering, though, what would have happened if you'd picked landlubber instead... ;)

Finally, and by way of explanation for this ending, I decided to call a stop to things here, rather than leaving them to work themselves out, because, frankly, it was going to be another three days of sliding towards a now-inevitable conclusion. I apologise if anyone was unhappy with this, or with any of the other game mechanics. All I can say is that, if you liked the general idea of the game, but not the specific mechanics, there are plenty of other variations out there to be played.

And, on that note, I'll end by pointing you guys towards CFC's forum games and the gameroom at totalwar.org, each of which hosts many excellent mafia games. If anyone here feels like signing up for a game or three, then by all means go for it. I look forward to killing you. :mwaha:

Regardless, even this outcome is quite close to what would've been the awesome bit: we proved that monarchy > voting nonsense.

I actually had it worked out so that either result - town or mafia victory - would lead to a democratic system being adopted.

Having a background in political philosophy, I'm fascinated by how specific decision-making processes become enshrined as almost sacred traditions. One major reason for this is that the people in charge will nearly always view the system by which they achieved power as, if not the absolute best, certainly a highly-effective way of getting things done.

In the case of this game, whoever won would win under a system of voting, and thus would decide that that system was, in fact, a good thing. :crazyeye:

I became concerned about the Merlot team spirit at one point and stopped posting because of that. The game requires more aggressive stance that normal discussion on this team forum and while paranoia is good for the mafia game, I was not sure how well everyone could keep it inside the magia game. I didn't want to hurt my image any more - I got the feeling I was quite annoying, which was to some degree quite intentional/irrelevant for the goal. As none of you know me as the nice person I actually am (or hope to be) and we are going to spend quite a few more weeks/months playing the actual game this team was made for, I decided civ game > mafia game. Had everyone been my old friends, I would've been much less worried about it.

Msgmuhammad doing the solo vote at the end of voting period was almost guaranteed, but I was surprised at only one people reacting to such obvious move. Maybe they did not pay attention to the exact deadline or were unable to check in at that time. 2nd person to log and vote would've made the day.

I actually had it worked out so that either result - town or mafia victory - would lead to a democratic system being adopted.

Well, I was not thinking of the game world and how the RP might have carried out. I was more thinking of pointing out the townie play got dominated by... oh, just let me quote the Merlot mission statement (emphasis added):
Mission Statement
We all know democracy doesn't work online. Everyone becomes a selfish grade-schooler on the internet. So let’s try something different - let's re-embrace Monarchy. (I want to farm some wine anyways). Crushing some serfs under your oppressive heel sound appealing to you? Of course it does. You play Civ4. Our mission is to have a lot of grape-stained fun. We want to discuss Civ 4 stuff. We want to do it inside of a governmental system that works better on the internet. We don't want to have to debate about whether to settle the NE square or the NW square for 2 days. We want to place someone in power who has excellent vision and listens to us, and boot them when they stop. We want to have cool important sounding medieval titles attached to our names and bite our thumbs at people with less important titles. We want to farm some wine. But most of all...

Of course the mafia game is about the mafia confusing the other people in the discussion, but at least this time the townies managed all by themselves. :lol:

I became concerned about the Merlot team spirit at one point and stopped posting because of that. The game requires more aggressive stance that normal discussion on this team forum and while paranoia is good for the mafia game, I was not sure how well everyone could keep it inside the magia game. I didn't want to hurt my image any more - I got the feeling I was quite annoying, which was to some degree quite intentional/irrelevant for the goal. As none of you know me as the nice person I actually am (or hope to be) and we are going to spend quite a few more weeks/months playing the actual game this team was made for, I decided civ game > mafia game. Had everyone been my old friends, I would've been much less worried about it.

Yeah, I was concerned about that, and thought long and hard about whether to run the game for that reason. On the other hand, I know from experience that, if handled properly, the little rows and arguments in a mafia game can actually serve to bring people closer together, just so long as they don't start getting personal.

In the event, I think I was actually a bit too sensitive to that particular danger. Now I look back, ash didn't say anything especially aggressive before I made my comment there. In a game anywhere else I wouldn't even have batted an eyelid.

Top Bottom