MoO2 and my mouse

Kerb

Chieftain
Hello,
I recently installed window 95 version of master of orion 2 v1.31(I use windows xp though).
the game works fine except one thing...the mouse
the mouse cursor works fine...but when i open like tax window, refit window, and etc, the cursor freezes. So I have to use right mouse button to overcome this. It becomes very tidious.

I tried compatibility option on windows xp. It fixed the problem, but then created new problem with the cursor. Now, the cursor becomes transparant(kinda flashes rapidly) and gets draggy.

I tried all sorts of things in directx, but nothing worked.

I use logitech mouse, driver 9.80. I even disabled this mouse, and tried default driver with microsoft mouse....but still no luck.

It would be nice if someone has solution for this problem...although it is kinda old game. It's one of my old classic favorite though.
anyways..thanks

This is what I had hapen. By holding the shift or cntrl key I was able to move the mouse on all screens when it stuck, except the tax. I never could get teh tax one to behave.

This seems ti be a function of the processor speed. I got Moslo and that make the mouse behave fine and I can change the taxes now. I set it to run the game at 49%.

True.

But I thought he has tried this already: I tried all sorts of things in directx, but nothing worked.

Could be, I am not sure what all kinds of things is exactly, but this is the one thing that could work. I never tried it, so I cannot say for sure. Slowing down the process does work, for me at least.

Kerb said:
Hello,
I recently installed window 95 version of master of orion 2 v1.31(I use windows xp though).
the game works fine except one thing...the mouse
the mouse cursor works fine...but when i open like tax window, refit window, and etc, the cursor freezes. So I have to use right mouse button to overcome this. It becomes very tidious.

you posted this a few weeks ago but in case you do check it, or have reply notification sent, i have a suggestion for you, altho not exactly the one you want.

i had a MOO2 craving the other day but couldn't get it to work in winXP at all. i did some googling and found about the DOSBox program. it is working out well for me to use the DOS version, and doesn't mess up my windows settings for anything else.

if you do want to take that step, do a google search for DOSBox and VOGON, htey have a good forum there that helped me figure it all out (<3 civfanatics too tho, don't get me wrong!). trust me, if i can do it, you can do it. i'm the type that knows where the on switch is on my pc, and knows that the first step if i hit a problem is to restart. my second step is to go 'honey can you fix this for me?' but this one i got working all by myself! well with internet help but not honey help.

I have used DosBox for Moo and Moo2, but I normally do not use it for them. It is great for Alien Legacy and Ascendancy. D-fend2 makes it a snap.

This is what I had hapen. By holding the shift or cntrl key I was able to move the mouse on all screens when it stuck, except the tax. I never could get the tax one to behave.

You probably know this, but on the tax window you can get around the frozen cursor by pushing numbers 1 through 5 to indicate 10 through 50&#37;.

Yeah, but I use Moslo so no issues with the mouse. I usually would flounder around and forget the keypad until I was already going nuts. So issue for a few years now.

Hi all,
Thanks for all the helps.
I tried DOSBox; and mouse works fine...but, now, my sound does not work. :eek:
I followed every single steps listed here:
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006/05/dosbox-guide.html

I use audigy2 sound card. So I did some research, and found out that some sound card does not support DOS sound; but I'm not sure if audigy2 is in that category, since I was not able to find any list of soundcards which supports DOS.
Is there any work-around(assuming my sound is not compatible with DOS. But please let me know if it does support DOS) without having to install another software?
Again, thanks for all the helps ;)

Well do not even use the sound, it does work for me though. Be sure to select the origianl SB.

Ah, I see
How do I need to configure my dosbox.conf to select original SB?
I'll list my current dosbox.conf sound setting:

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus] ** should I disable this? because I don't use gravis ultrasound. (actually...dont even have that hardware) **
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

If I need to config something...please help me out ;)
Thanks in advance :goodjob:

Music and Sound effects SB orig, address 220
Music card SB orig
Digitize card address 220, irq 5, dma 1
check in the device manager to find the values on your system.

Music and Sound effects SB orig, address 220
Music card SB orig
Digitize card address 220, irq 5, dma 1
check in the device manager to find the values on your system.

hmm...assuming you are talking about [sblaster] section of dosbox.cofig, I changed like this(sound still does not work though):

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb1 (assuming sb1 is SB orig)

sbbase=220 (could not find this in device manager...so left as 220)

irq=5 (in resources tab, I saw irq with value: 18. Tried 18, but no luck. so I put 5 like yours)

dma=1 (could not find this...so left as is)
hdma=5 (could not find this...so left as is)
mixer=true (could not find this...so left as is)
oplmode=auto (could not find this...so left as is)
oplrate=22050 (could not find this...so left as is)

I think I'm bit confused since I could not find most of values :confused:
Thanks though :)

No I am not talking about DosBox, that I did not have to do anything to at all.
I am talking about running the install.exe for MOO and using the reconfig option to set the sound up.

After Dos Installation run setsound.exe (should be in your moo-folder) and choose soundblaster compatible. In combination with Dosbox default settings I have sound. Though it is a bit choppy.

For MOO II, I set dosbox's cycles to 50000, and changed frameskip from 1 to 0, which on my computer resulted in a decent speed without choppy sound. The default cycles=auto setting doesn't seem to work too well. Frameskip probably didn't have anything to do with it, though.

I noticed the other day that I cannot go to full screen in Dosbox with Moo as I now run in 1440. If I play Moo without Dosbox, it runs? It is not a concern as I use DosBox only when I want to be able to play winamp and not have to keep switch windows.

Top Bottom