More AIs on the map, maybe

Aloha

Richard the Catheart
As the title mentions, I've always felt that the CiV maps are a bit too large for the gameplay. Whatever the map size you follow, there will often be a lot of unclaimed virgin land in the very late game.
And I figure out I should modify the CIV5Worlds.xml file in the directory as: Gameplay/XML/GameInfo, right?
However, when I changed the number of <DefaultMinorCivs>, it never works:crazyeye:, which means you can't change the number of the CS for the game.
Any help or advice?

You can increase the numbers of both AIs and CSs in the game through the advanced set up.

yeah no need to mod, advanced setup is what you want, base game already allows this.

AI are unlikely to start on small islands so if these are the "land" you are talking about increasing CS has a greater likelihood to start those islands settled.

You can crank up the number of CS to something like 42, and 22 civs.

If the map is too small for that many civs the CS settlers will actually just sit there forever. You could use your starting warrior to get a worker on turn 1.

That many CS and civs would easily fill most huge maps even if its pangea or a map without oceans.

You can crank up the number of CS to something like 42, and 22 civs.

If the map is too small for that many civs the CS settlers will actually just sit there forever. You could use your starting warrior to get a worker on turn 1.

That many CS and civs would easily fill most huge maps even if its pangea or a map without oceans.

Yeah, I know. That 22 Civs and 40 CS can be too crowded even in the huge map size.
But you should take a look at those pics. I play on Prince level, and large map.

Attachments

• 20160415094151_1.jpg
    20160415094151_1.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 20160415094303_1.jpg
    20160415094303_1.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 126
  • 20160415094330_1.jpg
    20160415094330_1.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 125
I mean, yeah, it's definitely a lot of unclaimed useless desert if that's what you're talking about. I don't see a problem with that as I wouldn't claim that lackluster land either. In the first pic it looks like Rome was conquered. Are you sure all that land was unclaimed or did some of those cities get Razed.

Also, AI isn't as aggressive about expansion on Prince. Starting on Emporer is where they really start to get aggressive with the forward settling and the plopping cities all around you and the settling of such horrid spots as 4 tile Tundra Islands with no camps/pearls/whales because at that level they get Happiness bonus'. At Prince I think they're playing pretty much the same game as you, so it's something like 9 Base Happiness and they have to build/buy/improve happiness sources beyond that so they're less likely to build more than 4/5 cities.

Guys, it's already in the information era, and lots of unclaimed territory, isn't this a bit unrealistic:D

No, you're not thinking about it realistically. I mean "claimed" land doesn't exist in CiV, rather inhabited land where the boundaries of an actual culture's influence reach. In the modern world map there would be vast swaths of this "unclaimed land", so if you want to play historically, imagine borders in these lands, just like the borders are imagined in real life.

I mean, yeah, it's definitely a lot of unclaimed useless desert if that's what you're talking about. I don't see a problem with that as I wouldn't claim that lackluster land either.

Don't tell me these are wastelands.:lol: Napoleon was just too lazy to build a city there because he liked to capture other people's cities rather than build his own.

Attachments

• 20160415170535_1.jpg
    20160415170535_1.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 93
Well... On Prince, AI is not as efficient as in other level to plant cities and support them. That said, give enough time to the AI and the y will fill EVERY single gap possible even on ungly terrain. Higher level you ply, fqster it will happen. If you have guys like Hiawatha and some other nut cases in the game, you might even see one tle island 1 fish cities once in a while.

As for the ''unclaim'' good territory, just fill it!! ;)

I agree. This is an issue with difficulty setting, not with the core game. I played for a long time on emperor and always ran 22 CS and 9 AI civs because the amount of barbarian territory (unclaimed) in the information era always drove me crazy. On immortal, you will see the map fill up much faster. On deity, you'll be lucky to get four cities out before the map is pretty full.

However, I would just add two civs to your current setup and see if that helps. I can't verify this with code, but I definitely notice that the AI will settle more cities when there is competition for spots. If I found three cities within a turn or two, there is definitely an uptick in new AI cities the following twenty turns or so.

Don't tell me these are wastelands.:lol: Napoleon was just too lazy to build a city there because he liked to capture other people's cities rather than build his own.

Nice laugh emoji. That's not a screen shot that was in the post that I replied to. The screen shot I was referring to had a much larger desert right in the middle of the Zulu empire. Nice try though.

And that was along with a screen shot of a snow covered island. Yeah, there's a reason that was left unclaimed and it's not difficulty setting.

I usually play with at least 15 civs, 25 CS on maps larger than Standard. It's fun to compete for land, and watch weak civs get swallowed (or swallow them myself :mischief: ). Makes for more superpowers in the late game. And this is on King too. Back in my Prince days there was the same issue here.

Up the difficulty, or claim the land yourself.

The AI may not fill it in because they have happiness issues and reduced expansiveness on easy.

Top Bottom