More Resources: Jade/Marble, Coffee, Cotton, New Fruit, New Oasis, modified most

Kal-el

Deity
What I have done is combined some of the resources to allow for more pics to be included. It is unfortunate that we can only use 24 images, but what can you do. Well, here is what you can do.

Strategic:
Horses
Metals
- Copper
- Iron
- Aluminum
Saltpeter
Coal
Oil
Rubber
Uranium

Luxuries:
Furs
Silks
Dyes
Spices
Gems
Marble/Jade
Cotton
Tobacco
Incense
Wine
Coffee Beans

Bonus:
Livestock
- Cattle
- Sheep
- Pigs
Fruit
Foodstuffs
- Wheat
- Rice
- Vegetables
Oasis
Seafood
- Fish
- Whales
Precious Metals
- Platinum
- Gold
- Silver

I am still working on the cattle image, I am trying to get the sheep and pigs in there but so far it just hasn't looked right.

Do you think that the metals are a little cluttered? Let me know. Try it in the game first though.

The pic also includes and image for Poppies and the original dyes and aluminum.

Edit: I fixed the red edge around the oasis

Added:
from ToT
Lumber
Corn
moose
walrus
pheasant
bison
From CTP
Crab
Pearls

Sorry for such a short period between updates. No new edits planned any time soon ;)
Edit:
Sheep - google
Camels - CTP
Jade by itself - CTP
Marble - ToT
School of Fish - ToT
Berries - ToT
Pigs - CTP
Calamari - ToT
Clams - ToT
Kelp - ToT
Polar Bear - ToT
Oil - ToT
Sugar – CTP
Alternate Marble - google
Green rocks – ToT
Hemp – google
Alternate Squid – CTP
Leafy undergrowth – ToT
Furs - ToT

version 1 removed after 289 downloads
version 2 removed after 44 downloads

Attachments

• kal-els resources.pcx
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,690
download the above image if you like what you see below.

the marble image came from ahenobarb's mass culture mod

the rest either came from the resource.pcx image included in the game, some other image from the game (the cow), civ2 ToT (fruit), CTP (Jade, Coffee and Poppies), or from some combination thereof (tobacco/incense is a combination of the incense and spices)

How do you think it looks? I was really hoping that the new patch would allow for more resource images, but oh well. I think a lot of people were hoping the same thing.

Kal-el,

Nice work, dude. It's a shame that you haven't had more support.

May I suggest that you lose the grey blocks behind the jade Buddha? Other than that, it's looking pretty nice. :)

Josef

thanks for the support.
the grey blocks are supposed to be marble. I was thinking about using an image of Michaelangelo's Statue of David to go along with the Jade Budha.
What do you think?

It makes no sense. They are different minerals, found in different places and for different purposes. Use one or the other or both, but not together.

The same goes for all the rest. From a game-playing standpoint, what difference does it make to have "precious metals" rather than "gold"? Why is fruit not a foodstuff?

i realize that they are completely different minerals but the game only allows you to use 24 images and of all the different types of resources marble is the most similar to jade, they are both "rocks".

I separated fruit from foodstuffs because I feel that apples and oranges, etc. are much dfferent from wheat, rice and veggies. it would be possible to combine wine and fruit which would allow for an additional image. I am not sure why I didn't do this from the start. maybe I will do that tonight.

the idea is to use the images as only a representative of the type of resource that may be found in any specific tile.

you as the end user have to go into you bic file and add additional resources in order for this to be really useful.

how it would work:

add resources:
Copper - assign it the strategic metals resource - required for trireme (military version of galley - yes I know triremes were galleys, but horsemen were Cavalry, so what?)
Jade - assign it the jade/marble image
Marble - assign it the jade/marble image
Cotton - assign the cotton image
Tobacco - assign the smoky thing image
Coffee Beans - assign the coffee beans image
etc., etc.

you can then distinguish the different types of precious metals, livestock, strategic metals, etc.

e.g.
platinum = 0/0/4
gold = 0/0/3
silver = 0/0/2

cattle = 2/1/0
sheep = 1/1/1
pigs = 1/2/0

these are just ideas, i haven't fleshed out the values that should be assigned to the various additional resources yet.

any ideas?

I tried changing the blocks of marble to a statue of the Venus de Milo, but it just didn't look right. The statue ended up being too small. I didn't try it but I suspect that the David would have similar results. This just came to me as I was typing, possibly using a broken marble column. I think that would look pretty cool.

Ok, so now to find the proper image.

so I found this image and am going to edit it and add it in place of the current marble blocks. What to you think?

Attachments

• greek column2.jpg
    greek column2.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 4,539
I would like to see a resource for Hemp or Marijuana as many commonly know it. I want to make a scenario that uses Hemp as a major resource with civs to match. For now though sense a large number of people consume weed for medical and recreational purposes it would be cool to see it included as a resource. Maybe add in poppies and coca leaf although these are very terrible drugs unlike marijuana. Just a crazy idea I had, I am probably alone with my idea :D :crazyeyes Peace.

Desert Fox :p

Desert Fox
I was thinking the same thing, it would make an interesting game

Originally posted by NegativePower
Desert Fox
I was thinking the same thing, it would make an interesting game

I expected a rant about my post. :lol: I am trying too locate the graphics needed to put into my own mod. Later a scenario when we are able to do so. I made a faction for SMAC (Alpha Centauri) featuring Jack Herer as the leader. :lol:

I am agnostic (spelling) myself though :D

Well, nice work but I have encountered a Bi-i-i-G problem>

All resources above number 23 are invisible. ?!?!?!?!!??

But when I convert the saved map into .BIC file and then open it in Civ edit everithing seems to be OK.

I lost entire my day to find a work around, but...

How do you get the game to run with more than 23 resources?
I add extra resources and the game crashes?
Help!!!!!!!!:cry:

Originally posted by Crist2000
Well, nice work but I have encountered a Bi-i-i-G problem>

All resources above number 23 are invisible. ?!?!?!?!!??

But when I convert the saved map into .BIC file and then open it in Civ edit everithing seems to be OK.

I lost entire my day to find a work around, but...

You can see all those extra resources in the editor, but they don't appear while playing the game. The simple fact of the matter is, that icon position 23 is the last one you can use. No icons after #23 will appear on the map in the game. The game will crash if you try to hook up an "invisible" tradable resource to your trade network. It's odd (and frustrating) that you can place those resources, and you can see them on the map in the editor, but they will not work in the game.

yeah, it is frustrating:aargh3: that the other images don't show up. I was hopeful after razorwing's post, but no one else seems to be able to get it to work. Oh well, I guess you could use the images for your own mods, cut and paste. Maybe this will change with 1.18. lets keep our fingers crossed.

Originally posted by Desert Fox
I would like to see a resource for Hemp or Marijuana as many commonly know it. I want to make a scenario that uses Hemp as a major resource with civs to match. For now though sense a large number of people consume weed for medical and recreational purposes it would be cool to see it included as a resource. Maybe add in poppies and coca leaf although these are very terrible drugs unlike marijuana. Just a crazy idea I had, I am probably alone with my idea :D :crazyeyes Peace.

I have made a mod with the hemp ressource!
This is a strategic ressource that is using to build all ancient ships. I work on the version 1 and I've found one picture that could look well:

The picture under isn't the good. But it is that i've done for my mod. The ressources are more visibles and strategic ressources have got labels. You will find the picture with the hemp at the next post by me.

Now a question: somebody have got crashes as me when using more than 23 ressources (or 24)?

Top Bottom