Most Anticipated Change to Older UAs?

Which one Civ's UA would you update for Gods & Kings?

• Babylon (Ingenuity)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Egypt (Monument Builders)

• Inca (Great Andean Road)

• Korea (Scholars of the Jade Hall)

• Persia (Achaemenid Legacy)

• Polynesia (Wayfinding)

• Siam (Father Governs Children)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bcaiko

Emperor
Hey folks,

I haven't been the largest proponent for changing the older Civs' Unique Abilities, but we have gotten word of changes on the way. So here's a question: in Gods & Kings, if you had the opportunity to change one of the existing Civs' abilities, which one would you change and why?

[Edit - as I was creating the poll, I remembered that, by the changes in the game coming, Sonhai's UA must be updated, lest they have no UA at all. Rather than remove Songhai as a choice for those who'd completely change Songhai's UA or rendering the poll moot, assume Songhai is already getting a boost to embarked defense in Gods & Kings.]

England's bonus spy and a possible change to the Ottomans (though, if played right, it was already powerful) in terms of most anticipated. I don't have special wishes about other UAs.

I wonder with what idea the devs will come up for Songhai.

ottomans allready powerfull ? No its the must useless unique ability you rarely use it ..

I would ike to see a conquest related unique ability for the ottomans

Because they have 2 unique units for the offencive

Thats what bothers me with the ottomans there unique ability doesn't really work together ith their units.

And ottomans had a strong navy but they wheren't know for it they where rather know for there artillery cannons (great bombards )

I voted Mongolia because I know people will forget them otherwise. With the Huns coming out I would like to have their UA made more distinct and give it a further purpose.

The Ottomans will get a revamp I bet and England is already confirmed to getting a revamp.

Part of Songhai's UA is the fact that embarked units can defend. If all embarked units can defend themselves as well as Songhai, then Songhai has just lost half of their UA.

Personally I think the extra spy for England will do wonders for them. I can see them becoming incredibly powerful with this, if they're keeping their +2 movement for naval units too, given that naval units are becoming much more important in this expansion. I really think England will become one of the best civs in the game with these changes. Can't wait to play them.

Rome's 25% 'savings' for buildings already in the Capital.

Usefulness is somewhat questionable when you're also building wonders in your capital (and it's usually the best 'equipped' to do so). Below prince, I was able to circumvent this by Buying buildings in the capital, but not so easy on Prince.

P.S. Not part of the poll but Rome's UUs kinda iffy too due to HIGH dependence on Iron (I.e. No Iron, no UU!).

First to vote India.

Underpowered civ. Wide>Tall, mechanism behind India is underpowered for humans. Especially for multiplayer. The opposite for the AI with their mega happiness bonuses.

For example, they should introduce a lower bucket for food growth instead. Devs will probably fix the ''courthouse bug'' making their UA even less powerful.

The civs,which there should be some kind of change,IMO,are:

Siam: Their UA will include Religious(50% more faith) and Mercantile city states(50% more happiness) . But,there's a chance that the happiness bonus turns out to be very overpowered(if so,Greece might get this bonus instead) .

Arabia: Their UA might get a boost with the addiction of religion,like +1 :religion: for each trade route;

Ottomans,I'm pretty sure their UA will be extended to meele ships as well .

First to vote India.
Underpowered civ. Wide>Tall, mechanism behind India is underpowered for humans. Especially for multiplayer. The opposite for the AI with their mega happiness bonuses.

Considering the historic of patchs,there's a great chance that India will receive the same UA they have in Unofficial Patch and Vanilla Enhanced mod

England is getting an extra spy, and longbowmen will be infinitely more useful since ranged units go into the industrial and modern area. They'll end up being one of the most powerful civs in the game, calling it now.

Siam: Their UA will include Religious(50% more faith) and Mercantile city states(50% more happiness) . But,there's a chance that the happiness bonus turns out to be very overpowered(if so,Greece might get this bonus instead) .

I just don't see this. Siam and Greece are already very powerful civilizations as it is, they don't need an extra bonus. Instead, their bonuses could be applied to work with new civilizations so the new ones have a religious & mercantile city-state advantage.

England is getting an extra spy, and longbowmen will be infinitely more useful since ranged units go into the industrial and modern area. They'll end up being one of the most powerful civs in the game, calling it now.
Keep in mind that ranged units would become less OP as melee units would be able to withstand attacks long enough to get close to them. Still lbows will be great units but they might need some pikes/swords to protect them.

Well, since I can only vote for one, I chose India. It just seems a little unfair that they are the only civ to receive a penalty with their UA. I'm sure the developers could come up with something better. Especially now that we have religion again.

I voted Denmark, now that they introduce mele ships that can raid cities, it would be an obvious chance to add character and uniqueness.

Not that I consider the current abbility underpowered, it could be a modification to the current pillage abbility of mele units.

Songhai needs in my opinion a complete overhaul of their UA. I don't understand why a civilization which inhabited mostly desert areas and wasn't known for its maritime prowess should get a bonus to defense to embarked units.

Why did somebody voted for the american's manifest destiny?

The extra sight is verry powerfull throughought the game from early swordsman seeing archers to infantry seeing targets to bombard with artillery and bombers

The purchasing is a extra bonus handy if you need the resource but isn't in you're culture grasp

The UAs that I expect to get revamped:

1) England (already confirmed, so didn't vote it)
2) Ottomans (I hate Barbary Corsairs, and would hope to see it completely changed)
3) India (It is a different kind of UA, but they could some minor update to improve it a little bit)
4) Mongolia (Definitely deserves to get a stronger UA. Perhaps change the increased city state attack to apply every City, not just states)
5) Germany (Ok but... perhaps if Barbs are made stronger in G&K this UA would shine a bit more)
6) America (It isn't that bad, but with all these improvements/new things coming in the expansion it could be different/better)
7) Arabia (not bad, but could use a boost - Faith from Oasis tiles?)
8) Russia (Perhaps add some Espionage bonus on top of it)
9) Songhai (Weak UA, I think it will be changed undoubtedly)

EDIT: 10) Polynesia (now that I think of it, the Polynesian UI could use a slight boost. Not much, but a small adjust)

Voted for Mongolia. Just because, out of these Civs, I want to play more with them.

Part of Songhai's UA is the fact that embarked units can defend. If all embarked units can defend themselves as well as Songhai, then Songhai has just lost half of their UA.

Personally I think the extra spy for England will do wonders for them. I can see them becoming incredibly powerful with this, if they're keeping their +2 movement for naval units too, given that naval units are becoming much more important in this expansion. I really think England will become one of the best civs in the game with these changes. Can't wait to play them.

Seems like the Songhai are still really strong regardless.

Voted for Mongolia. Just because, out of these Civs, I want to play more with them.

In one of the articles they mentioned that you can bully city states, move your army close and demand tribute.
If Mongolia is 30% more threatening then that could be usefull.

Ah, forgot about that. Very true. Looking forward for it :)

When I said Songhai had weak UA, that was also based on the G&K info about defensive embarkation promotion becoming universal.

Top Bottom