Moving an shooting

SonofHades

Chieftain
As we saw in the gameplay preview shooting will cost one movment, therefor an archer will not be able to shoot after he went on rough terrain.

My question now is, will ranged unit be able to move after they shot?

I'm almost certain that shooting will end a normal archer's turn. However, the Arabian UU, the Camel Archer, can apparently shoot and then move.

yeah, only cavalry units can move after they attack. for everyone else, attacking (ranged or otherwise) ends thier turn.

i really hope it will be this way. cause otherwise ranged units could be even stronger in areas with much rough terrain.

Unless otherwise specified (and otherwise I think only occurs in abilities, not promotions) attacking ends a units turn - with the only variation being a unit with multiple attacks may perform additional attacks, at a cost of one movement per attack, until they either run out of attacks or run out of movement points.

As we saw in the gameplay preview shooting will cost one movment, therefor an archer will not be able to shoot after he went on rough terrain.

My question now is, will ranged unit be able to move after they shot?

Attacking ends all unit's turn's unless otherwise stated.

e.g. logisitics gives two attacks, so the first shot only uses 1 movement point, the second uses the rest (which is usually 1)

a chariot archer may or may not be able to shoot and scoot, we're not sure yet.

If you could move and shoot it would be near impossible to win against war chariots with move 5 on a large enough landmass.

Move 2 near front, shoot, move 2 back.

If threatened shoot and move 4 back. (even cavalry can't get you)

If driven back to the sea circle around with full 5 move.

Uh, what about retreating behind cities?
Yeah, the Chariots would have to hold ground. How about cavalry behind their infantry, like this

War Chariot is w: Enemy Infantry is I, Enemy Cavalry is C, Open ground is o
W
O
O
I
C
They can still charge you and if you do this,
W-O-O-O-O-I-C swich with
W-O-O-I-C
They can split off and seige your cities.

don't think chariots can shoot and scoot, iot would have been mentioned somewhere, we've seen them in the civlopedia and in the manual.

Why couldn't they make it be like in civ3 where each attack spent one movement point and that was it?

Why couldn't they make it be like in civ3 where each attack spent one movement point and that was it?
Because chariots have 4 movement points and war chariots have 5 movement points.
That would be totally broken.

Yes, but in civ3 you could set it so that units could only attack once, so you could move forward, shoot once, then retreat.

They don't want to make them too powerful, hence why they stop moving after attack. Camel Archers can do what you're proposing, however.

I need my own copy of thisssssssss game! My precioussss!!!
They don't want to make them too powerful, hence why they stop moving after attack.
They can make it a short-ranged weapon, lower the bombardment stat, etc. instead of disabling it… guess it's another thing I'll have to mod :w00t:/:cringe:
Louis XXIV said:
Camel Archers can do what you're proposing, however.
But they come in much later, making civ5 somewhat… historically inaccurate.

While I agree that archers (especially horse archers) excelled at moving in, inflicting damage, and retreating, but, in general, this could be horribly unbalancing in an early game considering the turn based nature. Perhaps, in the future, if they added either the Mongols or Carthaginians, I could see either being capable of doing this, but they don't want an obvious strategy like this one, which would essentially focus on fast units that could weaken all opponents without consequence.

I've played my first game as India, and the War Elephants can move and shoot, since they have 3 movement. I've done it several times. Can do that with ships too.

You can't shoot and then move though. Using a ranged attack seems to use up all movement.

While I agree that archers (especially horse archers) excelled at moving in, inflicting damage, and retreating, but, in general, this could be horribly unbalancing in an early game considering the turn based nature. Perhaps, in the future, if they added either the Mongols or Carthaginians, I could see either being capable of doing this, but they don't want an obvious strategy like this one, which would essentially focus on fast units that could weaken all opponents without consequence.
Then nerf it! Make it be non-lethal bombardment, or short-range, or give it a low attack stat, make it a very weak defender, make it be very expensive, or just throw in some good old special bunker/trench/walls terrain that doesn't allow units on it to be bombarded and that's it.

Firaxis still doesn't grasp that there is a way around every problem instead of just simply eliminating a whole feature. I'll still need to check out on the handling of economics and demographics in the game.

They didn't "eliminate" a feature, they chose to implement it a certain way. If you want a slightly different feature, mod it.

What, you think I won't?

Top Bottom