Moving production and food.

this makes resources more relevant as well. settling by iron will make that city a great place for a workshop and fourge and iron works. you build the steel city to ship to others.

Wonder production was specifically mentioned as one of the uses for this feature.

Ed Beach said:
Trade routes can also be created between two cities of the same civilization. Once the origin city has a Granary, it can send food to the destination city, and once it has a Workshop it can send production. This can be powerful if you have a new city that needs to be “pumped up”, or a city that’s constructing a Wonder that could use a production bump."

It should defenitly be a certain percentage lost when transfering food or hammers until the refrigeration and replaceable parts techs.

Maybe also railroads could increase the effectivity if the transfers.

Also do you think rivers will enable trade routes now that the won't yield any extra gold?

maybe you could build a river port/barrages that consume one horse to gain a road effect and an other building that cost coal for steamboat connection that would equal railroads.

Also lumber mills could give extra production in downstream cities since it's so easy to transport logs on rivers...

Wonder production was specifically mentioned as one of the uses for this feature.

This was one of my first thoughts before reading that article :D

I also wonder if this means it may be beneficial to "specialize" cities now. Currently there is very little incentive in doing so, but maybe that will change. For example have one city go crazy on food and feed it to the city that has Heroic Epic and Brandenburg, a ton of hammers, and is churning out military reinforcements every turn.

Um, there have been plenty of foods that transport perfectly well long before refrigeration. Either by their nature or through various methods of preservation, or indeed, by being transported while still alive (in the case of meat).

This feature is great news to me. I remember an old thread where people discussed about why cities can't send their surplus food to other cities. Finally they can.

Although this is rather interesting, I doubt Civ 5 (or any other Civ for that matter) has the capability to implement such a mechanic in a satisfactory way. If you just build units that give another city food/hammers or just directly transfer food/hammers from one city to another, that would be fairly awful. I'm hoping that they have some way to represent the supply chain and have it deteriorate with travel time (rather than tile spacing).

Also, wouldnt this be terrible for city balance, which is bad enough as it is? If we can have huge food only cities provide food for massive production centers, we would have even more unit production than before. I don't think Civ 5 needs anything more adding to the potential army carpet lategame.

Very much looking forward to this feature. I just hope you can have a few caravans on hand (over and above your limit) so that when you cancel a route you can get the new one up and running fairly quickly. It would also be nice if you could alter, after the route has been completed, whether it imports/exports food/production and that you don't have to set up a whole new route.

You dedicate one of your sparse ITR (international trade routes) to do the caravaning of food/production between two of your cities. It comes at the expense of gold you could have earned by going foreign.

I'm thinking that this will be particularly useful on isolated starts in the early to mid-game where international trade routes are going to be few and far between, if there are any at all.

Also, I'd rather centralized production than gold on Immortal+ if I'm going for a wonder or the space race or anything like that.

Edit:

Although this is rather interesting, I doubt Civ 5 (or any other Civ for that matter) has the capability to implement such a mechanic in a satisfactory way. If you just build units that give another city food/hammers or just directly transfer food/hammers from one city to another, that would be fairly awful. I'm hoping that they have some way to represent the supply chain and have it deteriorate with travel time (rather than tile spacing).

Also, wouldnt this be terrible for city balance, which is bad enough as it is? If we can have huge food only cities provide food for massive production centers, we would have even more unit production than before. I don't think Civ 5 needs anything more adding to the potential army carpet lategame.

Oh, it's very likely going to be an absolute disaster in terms of implementation, I've very little doubts about that but it's a fantastic idea and one I think quite a number of people have been looking forward to since the old Civ 2 days when it first appeared.

City balance will likely be saved by virtue of the limited number of routes available and the army carpet in the late-game is not going to be made any worse by this, it's about as bad as it can get at this point really.

Top Bottom