My Next Project - An Initial Consultation

Patine

Deity
I think at this point my next project that I feel is one I have an interest in committing to and have mentioned at several points lately is one of five. I feel I could generate a significant degree of enthusiasm if I focused myself for any of these choices once a firm choice is made. They are:
-The Fall of the Roman Empire
-The Rise of the Inca Empire
-The War of the Spanish Succession
-The Greco-Turkish War of 1974
-Campaigns of Santa Ana
Since the majority of the players of any scenario I make are very likely to be in the SL community (at least initially) I thought I'd have a consultative thread and see where the winds of interest may be. Now, since most of you will likely say, "do what you are interested in and enthusiastic about," I'm going to word it this way to ease everyone's minds - since I believe I can be interested and enthusiastic about any of these five choice - it's just a matter of firmly making a choice, consider this a 'non-binding consultation from the community before I firmly decide' as opposed to 'the community will decide by majority vote what I MUST and WILL do.' ;)

Hi Patine,

I’m glad to hear you are finally ready to commit to one project. That’s really the best way to go. With regards the options here are my personal choices by order of preference:

1. The Fall of the Roman Empire: very interested. I imagine you mean the fall of the Western Roman empire, circa 476 AD (though I imagine the Eastern (future Byzantine) Roman empire would play a significant role in your scenario).

2. The War of the Spanish Succession: quite interested, though I imagine this would be by far the most complex scenario to reproduce. Would it be limited to Europe or would it include the Western hemisphere as well?

3. The Rise of the Inca Empire: quite interested though this is undoubtedly the scenario were there is the least amount of available graphics including units, city, advances or wonders. As such, it might be difficult to produce something of quality in that respect.

4. Campaigns of Santa Ana: minimal interest though I’m not very familiar with this part of history.

5. The Greco-Turkish War of 1974: no real interest in this scenario

My vote is for The Fall of the Roman Empire. You have most of the graphics required, plenty of maps to choose from and the information you will need is readily available on the internet. It's about time we had a new ancient scenario set in this era!

Also, this kind of scenario would play to Civ2's strengths when used in combination with events. You don't have to be too fussy with the historical details (IE set events happening on set years), just go for the overall feel and get the gameplay balance right. There are quite a few scenarios concentrating on the Eastern Empire, it will be good to see one where the player has to alter history and hold the west against overwhelming odds. Stack the odds against the human player, make it a real struggle!

I have been guilty of flirting with multiple scenarios in the past. With all the amazing subject and great units available it's very tempting. However, in the past year or so I have been much more disciplined and have focused all my energy at one project at a time. As you must have found with The Korean War, it is so rewarding to complete a project. My advice would be to focus fully on making the final changes to KW so you can sign that off once and for all. By all means gather info and resources for the Fall of Rome scenario, but get KW finished before throwing yourself into FoR fully. Once you start work on FoR put all other ideas aside and give that project 100%. We will support you all the way. Hopefully this one won't take another decade! :p

I definitely take delight in early medieval period history. Exile's unreleased magnum opus Fall of Rome scenario is still something I think about from time to time. That said the problem of forcing collapse on players who tend to gain strength with play time is remains, and is still seemingly without solutions that aren't bit heavy handed. It's a wonderful scenario design problem. The Spanish war of succession is a topic I've enjoyed reading about in the past, and there is certainly a unique story to be told there. I think it'd also be a great subject for a scenario.

My advice, for whatever it's worth, is to always follow your passions when it comes to creative endeavors such as these. Pick the subject you like the best and throw yourself into it!

Thank-you all for the input. It looks like the wind's definitely blowing toward a Fall of Rome scenario (which is fortuitous, in a way, as I already have gathered a lot of material and ideas as it is for this one). I will finish the final touches to the Korean War, and then set to work on making this happen, and actually dedicate to focusing on it to completion. I do certainly agree (from personal experience) McMonkey that it's often VERY tempting to dither, with so many possibilities, but focusing to produce a dedicated effort is, in the long term, more reward.

My first vote is for Roman Empire

War of Spanish succession runner up.

Pat,

I don't know if you would be interested but several years ago I started on a similar project to the Fall of Rome one you're contemplating. I have just been checking my projects folder and the terrain and city graphics, as well as city placement, are pretty much done. I was using the European map I built for Fortress Europe and Aeterna Civitas. If you're interested in using it please be my guest, I will send the files over. Just an idea. I won't be offended if you have another map in mind. Just thought it might save you a bit of time and effort.

The only scenario that really sparks my interest is the 1974 Turkish Invasion of Cyprus.

Please send it over, McMonkey. Since I have formally started placing cities or such yet, I'll have a look, since you graciously offered. Thanks in advance.

@BC1871 - It would seem only you and Tanelorn showed any interest in that one, so, I'm afraid it may have to go on the backburner for the time being. :(

Actually, I never said that. Quite the contrary, for my own reasons I would have trouble appreciating it as a game.

Oh, I'm sorry Tanelorn. I must have misconstrued what you had said. I didn't mean any disrespect or to make false assumptions.

@McMonkey - I imagine you've been busy in RL and all, but I don't suppose you've put together that old Fall of Rome stuff you offered a few days ago? Not pushing or demanding, just a gentle heads up.

How are these for some good examples of Fall of Rome elites - a West Roman, East Roman, and Sassanian Persian? I'm not really sure what to do about Celtic, Germanic, Sarmatian/Scythian, or Hunnic elites, as no symbol overly stands out with them.

Attachments

• Example_Romefall_Elites.png
    Example_Romefall_Elites.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 123
Here are the files Pat. Sorry for the delay. I was in the process of converting ACIII into Fall of Rome so a lot of the cities would need to change hands. Hopefully you can still use CivCity for this as this is pre-ToTPP work. The read me file has a list of city names Barbarian to Roman to make it easy to build the later Roman world. Please feel free to change it in any way you see fit, or if the map doesn't fit your plans please feel free to discard it. :)

Attachments

• Fall of Rome ToT Multiplayer.7z
    808.4 KB · Views: 133
I'm pretty sure there is a boar symbol in one of Curtsiblings ancient city sets. I'm sure there must be other icons you can track down from other sources. Look beyond unit files and see if there is anything suitable in flags, icons, cities etc...

Thanks, greatly, McMonkey! I'll certainly give this a look over!

Top Bottom