My Review of Civilization 6

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator
I have emerged from the rabbit hole I fell down to post my review, now if you excuse me I need to go back down the hole and play some more Civ

My Review

Last edited:
Very good review I agree with almost all your points I'm loving the game.
A lot of new stuff to get used to but I like you wont be going back to 5 anytime soon.

I like that in the early game every turn you have to think about what your doing.
No more click,click,click. I'm only 200 turns into my first game as Rome but since civ4 I have not been so engaged in a civ game so to me it is great!

Besides the intro for the game, I think the music pretty uninspiring. I really prefer the music in civ 2 and call to power to any of them. As a musician, I just don't find the in game music that catchy or interesting. I'm sure most disagree.

I love the music but I hope some day maybe in 7 they bring back baba yetu.
But overall I love the soundtrack throughout!

And just like so many other reviews out there, this one does not mentioned that the completely incompetent AI turns this single-player-focused game into boring and pointless farce.

Great review, well done. I disagree on the graphics side of thing, but that is probably more a personal preference rather than anything

Great review, well done. I disagree on the graphics side of thing, but that is probably more a personal preference rather than anything
The rendered terrain and leader scenes are clean, crisp and even the painted leader backdrops have parallax effects with a film grain filter applied to it , giving the whole leader scene a sense of gravitas.

The art design isn't my first choice either, and the pop up tech/civic tree unlocks look out of place and too much like something ripped out of an iPad game, but the fidelity and quality of the rendered visuals are without compare in the 4X genre. It looks really good. You don't have to like the art direction to know the visuals look great.

Lol ...... I have watched every episode of the Gilmore Girls :lol: .... I admit it odes start to feel like a retread after after awhile :sleep:

Nice overview bite, i agree with your general impressions overall. Interesting though you compared Rome to Arabia in regards to Unique Infrastructure. I have found getting a City with an Aqueduct in every city is harder than getting a Holy Site as an example. Some maps have these wide expanses with no rivers, mountains or lakes anywhere. If you settle there you literally can't build an aqueduct. You can always build a Holy Site though, it may have zero adjacency bonus but you can still build one. Rome and England have the worse UD's IMO for that reason, it really constricts your settling options, I do agree with the base premise that UD > UI > UB though.

Lol ...... I have watched every episode of the Gilmore Girls :lol: .... I admit it odes start to feel like a retread after after awhile :sleep:

Nice overview bite, i agree with your general impressions overall. Interesting though you compared Rome to Arabia in regards to Unique Infrastructure. I have found getting a City with an Aqueduct in every city is harder than getting a Holy Site as an example. Some maps have these wide expanses with no rivers, mountains or lakes anywhere. If you settle there you literally can't build an aqueduct. You can always build a Holy Site though, it may have zero adjacency bonus but you can still build one. Rome and England have the worse UD's IMO for that reason, it really constricts your settling options, I do agree with the base premise that UD > UI > UB though.
I might have got lucky, I've only had one city that I could not build a bath in, but no issues with the other civs

Interesting for me to see what other people are interested in. You spend 2/3rd of the review (and Firaxis probably more than that proportion of fheir resources) commenting about graphics, music and stuff I usually turn off or don't care about.The MP part was a bit short but interesting.

Nothing about NOT being able to name yourself. Nothing about naming cities. Wow. Are all you guys paid not to point out the things that have been in Civ games forever but suddenly omitted for no reason??

This is why I don`t trust these excitable reviews on release. I`ve learned to wait, wait, wait. The best things come to he who waits.

Let me know when those things are back and I`ll buy the game.

Top Bottom