Natural Wonders Mod Development Thread

I love the idea of having a large list of natural wonders for the game to randomly choose from. But I hate the idea that there would be more of them. One doesn't presume the other.

what about the idea of improving said wonders

for example building a mine on mount fuji which would give a big production bonus?

As someone else pointed out, there are only a few Natural Wonders in vanilla because AssignStartingPlots is really careful about where to place each, having specific code for each one.

I'd really want to see people favor quality over quantity, instead of adding a bunch of reskins actually take the time to make full fledged new wonders that also work with Lua's scripted placement.

I think "New England Autumn" might be a fun one. You could make it the only tile with the "autumn" graphic.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm working on scaling back the initial wonder list to be more managable as well as not try and put something out that is poor in quality.

I'll update the first post this weekend. For the artwork I'm going to start poking around some of what has been done in Civ 4.

Keep the suggestions coming, they help a ton for a novice (i.e. dummy :D ) like me.

I think this is a fantastic idea. It adds more variety to the game and improves the fun factor!

It does make sense to first do simple renames of existing wonders (like various mountains that all use the Mt. Fuji graphic), then branching out into new graphics once that stage is done.

I feel it pertinent to mention that Ayers Rock is called Uluru, and should be represented as such.

To do the amazon....it should be like the monsoon jungle in SMAC. Where a region of terrain has a special jungle feature which grants extra resources.

Angel Falls will be such a beautiful thing to find :)

Also said technology you mentioned could be simply called "Tourism"

Are you still working on this?

How do you want to make Grand Canyon...I don't think you can go UNDER normal terrain level.

The Grand Canyon isn't necessarily below "normal terrain" either. On the north side its 9,000+ feet in elevation. From the top it looks like a giant gap between very large tall plateaus. In game it would have to take up more than 1 hex though.

Still trying to work on it...between family (wife and two kids), and being a physician, it's been pretty busy lately.

I'm trying to work things out but if someone with more skills who could do it faster wanted to run with this idea or some part of it, please go ahead.

Since there are seperate (several in fact :p) parts of the first release, it should be easy for someone else to give a hand, any takers?

You could probably get someone else in who has allready made several tech mods for the tourism tech, they might be able to do the national park improvement as well, and a 'park ranger' unit, based on the same coding as the work boat, it gets consumed by building a national park, which can only be built on a natural wonder.

If I knew how to mod natural wonders I would help for sure.

-bump-

I've got FiresForever to add in a Tourism category for his categorised Tech Tree. I'm going to (attempt) to mod in a Tourism tech that requires Steam Power, which allows you to build national parks on natural wonders with selected units, and a handful of other buildings.

Now here's the real question... what will Tourism's quote be? :p
Johnny Cash said:
I've been everywhere, man,
I've been everywhere, man,
'Cross the deserts bare, man,
I've breathed the mountain air, man,
Of travel I've had my share, man,
I've been everywhere.
That. :p

Top Bottom