New Civilization: Thailand - Version 1.1

This isn't working for me. I've tried it in the base game and in Warlords. I get this error:

Failed loading XML file xml\text\thailand.xml [/AspyrBuild/depot/Civ4/SourceWarlords/Win/firePlace/Fireworks/Win32/FXml.cpp

File: xml\text\thailand.xml
Reason: (null)
Line: 0, 0
Source: (null)​

Obviously I am playing on a Mac, and obviously it needs a file thailand.xml that is not where a mac expects it to be. It loads perfectly up to the XML part, though.

Edit: OK, I fixed the encoding on that file. Now I am getting an XML tag error on the LeaderheadInfos file. Do Macs take different tags? I've run a diff against the same file for Alexander the Great, and of course darn near every line is there due to the different values. How do I find a bad tag? And if it HAS a bad tag, why hasn't anybody complained about it not working?

Hey guys

Glad somebody is trying to put Thailand together in Civ4. I was kinda hoping its added in Civ4 but nope, never happens. =(. But as a keen Thai historian myself, I shall take the liberty to express some of my opinions. Hope they are constructive.

I would say the name Siam delivers the punch more than Thailand. Ick is right about it being poetic and historic and all but more importantly, the country was introduced to the Western World as Siam and that was when it was at its greatest height. (Like before the French and the British tore the country apart, colonizing half the country which is today Melayu Peninsular, Laos and Combodia) Its flag, if Siam is favored, then should be an elephant with a default colour of red/blue/gold

As for its leader, I would say it is somewhat a no to use the current king, Bhumibol as a leader head. Majorly, because he still is in reign and thus would induce that disrespectful feeling the most. (the same way i believe Hitler was never appeared whereas Churchill and Roosevelt does) But as for other choices of LH, there are 3 kings who with the title 'The great': King Buddha Yodfachulalok (Rama I), King Mongkut (Rama V), and King Bhumibol (Rama IX). With King Bhumubol out of the question, that leaves the first two. King Buddha Yodfachulalok was not that well-known. Thus my choice would be to go with King Mongkut, if you insisted on the name being stated. But i would suggest stating Rama V, as Civ4 has wrote Suriyavarman II. As for PM, there has never been a Thai PM who fit the description of being a national symbol therefore i suggest doing the king would be the best. As for the pre-ratanakosin era kings, King Naresuan or King Taksin would fit into the position. King Naresuan was the liberator of Siam during the first fall of Ayothya, and King Taksin in the second.

As for the traits, for any choice of LHs, the Siamese has shown unparalleled amount of loyalty to its king, hence there would be limited anachy in the kingdom, if there were any. Hence, i would say Spiritual is defenitely in. If Rama V is chosen, i would go for protective as he defended the freedom of the country (quite succesfully too) against foreign power. (although spiritual/protective belongs to Saladin, i believe Saladin should have other traites, =) ) But if Rama I is chosen, i would go spiritual/organized for how he found Bangkok. As for King Naresuan/Taksin: protective/organized, for how they liberated Siam from the hands of Burma.

As for UU and UB, I totally agree on the Battle Elephant, just the correct and balanced version. (i suggest making it a 10/1 vanilla unit, an 8/2 war elephant, or 8/1 war elephant with 25% against melee) But as for UB, how about a (elephant) breeding ground, a replacement of stable, but also add ivory to the trading resources, making the Battle Elephant readily available regardless of terrain as well as tradable goods.

Lastly, for the city name, I shall list down the name of cities according to its importance during Ayudhya era where the country is at its greatest. (do note that these cities are spelled using anglicization of the original bali language that is used to name the city as used in the Khmer Civ)

Sri Ayodhya (capitol)
Chantaburi
Sri Sajanalaya/Sukothai
Nakorn Sridhammaraja
Kanchanaburi
Nakorn Rajasrima
Bhitsanulok/Song Kwae
Surajadhani
Bangkok

(follow by the original list)

I also leave out the important cities in area that are no longer Thai such as Vientiane that is now Laotian and the Melayu Peninsular cities.

Hope that helps making a better Thai Civ Mod =)

Feel free to change it to suit yourself.

The version here works on an older vanilla game, not the current one. I took the version here and, with help from AlanH, I modified it to work in Warlords on a Mac. The files I changed are available in the Mac section of the forum as attached files. You could try it and see if it works in Windows Warlords; it should unless you have BtS and then it probably won't.

Correction! I modified it to work with the latest vanilla game, not Warlords. Doh! Modifying it for Warlords is on my list of things to do after I get the info on what needs to be changed. so it should work on the Windows vanilla game, too.

Hey! Um... I'm Thai. Well. I want to help me some favor.

At First. I am a bit upset when seeing Khmer empire with no Siam. As only nation in SE Asia that not conoli(ed) by d**n western colonist. Who invade and vassal Laos (Lanchang)
Chiangmai (As part of modern thailand. It and its empire called Lanna) Malaysia (Malaya) and CAMBODIA (Khmer). OK. Well now.

I am too stupid to fit it with BTS. Well. I know I can paste it on Civ4's but umm... I just want to change something. Firstly I want to make Bhumipol (spelling?) unavailable (spelling?) because Well. He is alive. You could know that everyone in this game except Sid are dead.
Two, I want to change music so I will not panic when they're play as AI. Well. Cathy just invade Hatty and Me in 17xx, and last game. She just capitulate every civilization in the world except me because I smart enough to good to her. Imagine that Joao, Pacal, A.Caesar, Louis, Gilgamesh and Cathy declare war to you as once.

Well. Can anyone make xml for me?

Sawadee, Poom, ka.

The Thai nationality will not work with BtS. It will not even work with Warlords. The changes to make it work with Warlords can be made, but it is very slow, and hard to find all the things that need to be changed. I do not know if it will work with BtS if somebody makes the changes needed to have it work in Warlords.

I do not know what changes you want other than having it work. You want the ruler changed, I think. Do you want His Royal Majesty the King Bhumipol made the ruler, or another, previous king made the ruler?

To avoid the music frightening you, when the AI plays Thailand, don't play the modified game with the Thailand nationality added. If you don't want to play Thailand, play the vanilla game.

I hope I helped you. Please post again if you need more help.

HELP !
I can't see the Thai Empire Civilization. I have done everything just like in the guide topic said I have tried in both on Civ4 and BTS it still can't see it looks like load succesful but I can't see any new civilization. I have tried holding Shift when start fmae and I have edited the civ4config file too neither work.
Plz help I really want to play
im thai btw just bought civ4 a week ago

Which mod are you trying to use? Do you have all the patches installed for your game and any expansion packs you might have? (Warlords, Beyond the Sword)

i dont think my BTS patch is update to the latest(1.31) yet do I have to ?
But I have all Pack Civ4/Warlord/BTS/Colonization (Its not that hard to find in thailand ! :DDD cheap too ! ;DD )

SHAMELESS PROMOTION ALERT!!!

I don't know if this is updated to 3.19, but if it is I suggest someone use my Mongkut LH. Check my signature for my Leaderhead Gallery. :goodjob:

i think the first name that bumps into one's head as the leader of Siam, aka Thailand, is the King from the movie, "the King and I" Mongkut, i think he is the most suitable as the leader of Siam.

Sawadee, Poom, ka.

The Thai nationality will not work with BtS. It will not even work with Warlords. The changes to make it work with Warlords can be made, but it is very slow, and hard to find all the things that need to be changed. I do not know if it will work with BtS if somebody makes the changes needed to have it work in Warlords.

I do not know what changes you want other than having it work. You want the ruler changed, I think. Do you want His Royal Majesty the King Bhumipol made the ruler, or another, previous king made the ruler?

To avoid the music frightening you, when the AI plays Thailand, don't play the modified game with the Thailand nationality added. If you don't want to play Thailand, play the vanilla game.

I hope I helped you. Please post again if you need more help.

Sorry. But it's doesn't help me too much.

I know I shouldn't do anything with xml. I ever screwed my game so I have to reinstall it.

Okay. Now, I will tell you what I want to say. I agree to theabysmal that we shouldn't play Rama IX because if you bring your laptop/Mac in thailand and someone see his face and you do anything like declare war, (or anything) you would load and continue your game in jail. Thai SERIOUS about insult the king because ancient indian & cambodian culture saying that king is the "sommuttitep" artifical god or living god or else. So you SHOULDN'T play with him (or play as him). I believe that everyone in this game except sid is dead. Right?

About leaders I want either Rama I, Rama IV ,King Naresuan, Prak Piboonsongkram. along with Rama V.

Unique Building?
Erm... My Idea. Elephant is bit hard to breed so I think

White Elephant Stable
"The White Elephant is elephat with few er.. whatever, so it's skin is white. Siamese King like having a several elephant in his palace because they believe it will bring good luck. Burmese ever ask Siamese to give white elephant as tribute. So it represent how white elephant is valueable to South-east Asian"

+1 :) +2 :culture: +2 Horse EXP +1 Elephant EXP
Require Ivory

Too much?

Last, I am Thai native speaker. I'm no problem about thai except R and L. (Trust me, every Thai children have this problem.) Only thing that my problem is I'm bit too young so I couldn't make adult-like sound. I am good at english. I could translate "simple" words that english and american say when I selected them. But I just 14 years old.
I couldn't say that.

Hey poom3619 Im Thai too ! and Im also 14 :D
I wanna make this by myself can anyone tell me how to get this start ? ! :D

Well, you basically have two options with different amounts of effort.

1) go through the database for units, buildings and leaderheads and pick the ones which you find most suitable, then change the xml accordingly (looking at some example xml, i.e. an existing civ should be enough to get you going)

2) create new leaderheads, buildings and units 'from scratch' (i.e. by using parts of existing ones and doing some retexturing). This requires a lot more effort, esp. for leaderheads. There are tutorials on how to do this, so those should be your first starting point if you want to go that route.

Top Bottom