New Civilization: Vietnam (Vit Nam)

This is a very good mod Q-meister how about making Laos next plz:goodjob:

I've fix the "white flag" in my computer.:D Here the new file I've made.Hope it can useful for this mod.The key is change the alpha to black,change this alpha image to black too and hit the refresh button.:cool:

I have another idea about Vietnam unique unit.
How about a trap unit?Which can cause dam to every enemy units when they go through.Or it can hide in hill,forest or jungle and wait the enemy go close.This trap can use once time and be destroyed(for balance game).I think it will be a very special and tactical unit.:cool:

In history,Vietnamese many time won by using trap,using weather

1st Battle of Bạch Đằng Giang (白藤江): To defeat the Chinese army coming to supply aid to his rival, Ngô Vương cleverly planted iron spikes underneath the Bạch Đằng River and timed the attacked of the Southern Han navy. The attack began during high tide in order to conceal the spikes beneath the water and after a few hours of holding the enemy in place, the tides receded and the spikes impaled the boats. The Vietnamese forces followed this impalement with fire attacks, which annihilated the huge warships. The Southern Han navy and the Prince of Southern Han were killed

Bach Dang battle:using trap and tide.

In 1285, Kublai Khan demanded passage through the kingdom of Dai Viet (in northern Vietnam) for his Yuan army on their invasion of the kingdom of Champa. When Dai Viet's king Tran Nhan Tong refused, the Mongol army, led by prince Toghan, attacked Dai Viet and seized the capital Thăng Long. Tran Hung Dao and other generals managed to protect the Royal Court, staying just ahead of the Mongol army in hot pursuit. When the Mongol army had been worn down with tropical diseases, Tran Hung Dao launched a counter-offensive. Most of the battles were on the waterfronts, where the Mongols could not use their cavalry strength. Mongol commander Sogetu of the southern front was killed in an ambush. In their withdrawal from Dai Viet, the Mongols were also attacked by the Hmong and Yao minorities in the northern regions.

In 1287, Kublai Khan again sent prince Toghan to lead another army into Dai Viet. This time, the Mongol supply fleet was ambushed and captured. Prince Toghan had to withdraw his army and fell into a trap set by Tran Hung Dao on Bach Dang rivermouth. The entire Mongol fleet was destroyed. Prince Toghan escaped, but his fleet commander, Omar, was captured.

And in war against USA,In Cu Chi tunnel,may be known as a big trap which the USA soilder meet many trouble.

Attachments

• vietflag.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 140
The Q-Meister said:
Thanks Tron! :goodjob: I appreciate it. Like I said, this was a first mod and I figured Ho Chi Minh would be, by far, the most internationally recognizable leader from Vietnam that everyone, everywhere knows about. I do not make any apologies about putting him into the game.

To those that wish to see different leaders: you need not complain or express disapointment - have you read the entire thread? I thought I deliberately explained that there WILL be additional leaders for the Vietnamese civilization, in fact, I directly asked (on more than one occasion I might add) for some ideas on new leaders so I may put it into the game.

On the Viet Cong being a derogatory name - Honestly, though I am no expert on the Vietnamese civilization, I never heard of that being so. I am someone who personally knows Vietnamese-Americans, have read the Vietnamese entry in Wikipedia as well as reading several books that at least touch on the Vietnamese war, again, I claim to be no expert but just letting you in my experience I have not heard of the Viet Cong being a derogatory name. (Even in this thread for example, there are Vietnamese here and no one has raised this up till now)

Yes, I am aware of the NLF being the "official" name however, I thought that the the National Liberation Front would be too long a name for the UU and the abbreviated "NLF" too short and boring.

It is interesting that on one end I am attacked for taking on a derogatory name of the Vietnamese, and on the other, for *only* including the "Communist" part of Vietnamese history (even though I said I would include additional leaders and would even consider making an entirely NEW Vietnamese Civ with a more ancient-pre-modern aspect to it for those who wished to play that)

That being said, I still appreciate all the feedback. I do no mean to use a derogatory name and if enough people feel that way, I will consider changing it as I want to celebrate the Vietnamese civilization and certainly not deride it (btw, have you read the Civilopedia entries for the Vietnam civ? They are certainly not favourable to the US! )

I will also once again assure everyone that new leaders are forthcoming.

Viet Cong aka VC is not a derogatory name, it is a common usage(have been used by many foreign history text book).

I dont know why people cant keep politics out of the game. Game should be played and understood as it is just for "loisir" and "fantasy"...if the gamer act radical then dont play it...

For example: I dont play the game Viet Cong (i hate this game) from Take Two because i think it is a derogatory, a mockery, an insult to my country and it is a shame, a crime of conscience, to act as an American and massacre my own compatriotes.

Thank you The Q-Meister for your great job. I've been waiting for this mod for a long long time. I'm just not good enough at these things to do it myself.

You said it's your first mod, but I can say it is very well-thought. Your choices of Ho Chi Minh as leader, Viet Cong as UU, traits and initial techs all make perfect sense. Even Civilopedia information is detail and accurate. BTW, as a 100% Vietnamese myself I don't see anything derogatory about using the name "Viet Cong". It is not their official name but I cannot think of any more convenient way to call them in a game.

As far as ancient leader is concerned, here are from top of my head right now, in preference order :
- Ngo Quyen ( he regained independence for Vietnam from 1000-year long of China's domination ).
- Tran Hung Dao ( the general who defeated Mongols during 13rd century and the only one in the whole Vietnam's history called Saint by Vietnamese ).
- Quang Trung ( he kicked Chinese out of Vietnam in 18th century and considered one of the most talented military brain in Vietnam's history ).
- Hai Ba Trung ( Trung Sisters who led a revolt against Chinese occupation in 39 A.D. They succeeded and became Queen for about 2 years before being defeated and drowned themselve. First recorded liberator in the history of Vietnam I believe. They are known for using war elephant ).

Looking forward to your update version. If I can help with anything, I will.

P.S : I too can only see the white flag in game. Not a big problem, just want to let you know.

As much as I don't like communist you have to give Uncle Ho & the Vietmease people some credit for there courage,determination and bravery during the illegal vietnam war. I will be downloading this civ anyone know if it overwrites any of the other civs or is it seperate?

Update on the flag issue :
I corrected it by changing the alpha channel to black AND the bWhiteFlag value from 0 to 1.
On the other hand, on my friend's laptop, the mod displays the flag correctly without any change ! Very funny indeed !

Since Uncle Ho is the only leader, i doubt that the former South Vietnam's flag would be an option. Might be in the next version when there're also ancient leaders or in Vietnam War Mod (should anyone create it, of course). But everything has been quiet lately :(

Koelle said:
Since Uncle Ho is the only leader, i doubt that the former South Vietnam's flag would be an option. Might be in the next version when there're also ancient leaders or in Vietnam War Mod (should anyone create it, of course). But everything has been quiet lately :(
I meant like an alternate file that you can switch in if you want. I think if my relatives saw the red flag with one yellow star they wouldn't be happy if you know what I mean

Hmm... I was thinking this sounds so much like a North Vietnam mod only. LOL. But I guess since South Vietnam did lost, it was not considered existed as a recognized country to the North Vietnam history.

It's Vietnam mod and Vietnam history dude. No north or south here as well as no north and south America civilizations and no west and east Germany civilizations. About the mod, if you try the original version, you might only see the white flag instead of red. But the leader is still Ho Chi Minh and the UU is still VC so your relatives wont be happy anway. Btw this is my game and i play what i want and dont care if anyone wouldn't happy about it

It is not thing like that. I am glad there is this mod. I am not Vietnamese, but it is interesting how the victor of war will write history. :D

I think Southern Vietnam belongs in a Vietnam scenario, it's favorite civic being police state.

Or it could be just another leaderhead.

One way or another, I look forwards to seeing what comes next.

Let's keep up with history, an additional bonus to Communism civ is warriors look like farmers as below.

That's really cool where your empire look like peaceful so you can declare war on unsuspected leaders. Even if you're at war with them, they wouldn't know who to attack. They can mistakenly attack your reall farmers and waste a turn. Then your real warriors (who looks like farmer) just take out the offending warriors in the same turn :lol: . They wouldn't be able to tell if you bring maceman, pikeman, ... cause they all look like farmsers.

I am Vietnamese, too. Thank for your MOD. I played CIV IV long time ago from CIV I, but only single mode. Now, I want to play with other players. Who can create room and invite me?

Top Bottom