New Natural Wonders?

Carmen Sandiago should be placed somewhere on the map, huge $$$ bonus for finding her

There was an accidental patch a couple weeks about that contained files for four new natural wonders: Mount Kailash, Mount Sinai, Uluru and one other that escapes me

Since all these sites are religious in nature, I wonder how they would tie in with the new religion mechanics in G&K... Maybe discovering these natural wonders would give you some bonus faith points that would help you found a religion faster? Any thoughts?

Since all these sites are religious in nature, I wonder how they would tie in with the new religion mechanics in G&K... Maybe discovering these natural wonders would give you some bonus faith points that would help you found a religion faster? Any thoughts?

That sounds like an excellent mechanic, so long as it isn't the sort of thing that pushes a civilisation a long way ahead with faith; it would need to be a relatively small bonus, perhaps similar to the current ancient ruins culture addition.

This works especially well since the Great Prophet is a randomised spawn and so an additional +20 faith [or whatever other value] is valuable, but not game changing; it adds to the chance, but doesn't make it inevitable.

I guess a citizen will create faith when he works on a religious natural wonder, just like he can create culture from the Fuji. Obviously, if you change your religion in the later game and keep working on Mount Sinai, god will smite your citizen from time to time. :p

Only if you mean you would like to see many more variety, then I would agree. Having more natural wonders (as well as resources) on a map (i.e, higher density) would be a very bad idea.

I think a higher density would be good too. I rarely have a natural wonder in my Civ's limits when I play, and in the real world there are many natural wonders in nearly every country. We here in America have dozens. Hell, just in California there are at least 5 significant ones (Mt Whitney, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, everything in Yosemite, Mt Shasta, etc.) and they all play a role in the economy and culture.

We don't need the fictional ones (Fountain of Youth, Cerro de Potosi, El Dorado) which are very powerful, we just need mediocre ones which are only powerful in early game like Old Faithful and stuff.

The fictional Fountain of Youth has been a moderate tourist attraction for Florida for quite a while.

I don't think adding waterfall graphics would be difficult at all. Just have a mountain tile with water flowing down it. They could add additional impassible tiles if necessary.

I think the Grand Canyon would be an awesome addition. a long impassible canyon (3 or 4 tiles?)

i also want to see the Amazon River as a natural wonder. It would have to be really long so it would be too many tiles to have tile yield boosts...but maybe a science boost to any city that is founded on the river itself?

i am excited about all of these possabilties.

I'd like to see waterfalls, but because rivers exist between tiles, it would have to be a two tile wonder like the GBR. I think the Grand Canyon would work best as a rift between tiles too.

BTW, the Royal Gorge? The one with the Arkansas River running through it? I've been to the top and the bottom of it, and it's cool and all, but it's not Wonder material, IMO. It just doesn't inspire the same kind of jaw-dropping awe that the Grand Canyon does.

i'd rather have them call it ayer's rock than uluru, since most people have heard of it using that name, but i guess using the indigenous name makes more sense if it's going to be faith-based. i also wouldn't mind an espionage natural wonder, but i'm not getting my hopes up.
Bermuda Triangle :)
i jokingly mentioned this one in the april fools thread and someone even came up with an ability for it. i wouldn't be surprised if it's part of next year's joke.

We don't need the fictional ones (Fountain of Youth, Cerro de Potosi, El Dorado)

Last time I checked, el cerro de Potosí was real, and actually contributed to the devaluation of silver in the old continent.

Last time I checked, el cerro de Potosí was real, and actually contributed to the devaluation of silver in the old continent.

You're right that it's a real place, but not exactly as it's depicted in the game. It's far too powerful in comparison to the other non-fiction ones.

I mean, Bolivia would certainly be much better off if Potosi was actually as it is in the game.

The only thing fictional about Cerro de Potosi was that it was often rumored to actually be made completely out of silver (which likely contributed to its look in the game). Other than that it's an actual place that exists.

As for the topic at hand, I would really like to see more wonders that aren't from the United States; the U.S. has a really lopsided representation in the game as far as natural wonders go. The Grand Mesa over Ayres Rock? Really? Personally, I'm among those routing for Victoria Falls to be included.

I mean, Bolivia would certainly be much better off if Potosi was actually as it is in the game.

They kinda were until the silver started to run out. Well, that and the whole Spanish conquest thing.

I love the idea of the Amazon.

Have also noticed that the wonders seem to always be really close to city states. The last game I played, I rushed a settler to get the gold mountain wonder... I had to buy the tile before the CS creeped in on it. I see this quite frequently. It makes me want to start wars.

Another benefit for Austria, then. Plus, you can conquer unallied city-states in G&K without being labelled a warmonger (or so I hear), which will help you scratch that itch as well.

On a (semi) unrelated note -- I hope they add a toggle to turn off fantasy natural wonders. But more variety would definitely be welcome.

I remember Lake Titicaca (Peru/Bolivia) was mentioned many times before Civ V came out, However it never appeared in the game.
Maybe in the G&K expansion?

Lake Baikal has always intrigued me.

And I would love to see (and I've mentioned this before) mountain ranges become important as tourist features. Rockies... Alps... Everest...

I would also like to see engineers/workers be able to build passes through the mountains at the steam age.

I remember Lake Titicaca (Peru/Bolivia) was mentioned many times before Civ V came out, However it never appeared in the game.
Maybe in the G&K expansion?
Both the names of Titicaca and Everest appear often in the mapscripts. It must have been at quite a late stage that they were rejected.
Hard to say what will happen with Gods & Kings.

Top Bottom