Newb Qs: ranks, independents, Great People, et al.

Grotius

Prince
Hi all,

I'm kinda liking CivWorld, but I'm still befuddled by some things. In the middle of my first game now.

1. How do I tell what rank I have? I was a Duke, but now I see my name on one of the white bars in my civ's screen. I guess I was demoted?

2. Is it always optimal to join the biggest civ? Is it ever viable to play as an independent?

3. I'm pretty sure I bought only one military unit, but I see the option to "sell" 3 such units in the market. Can I sell units from fellow members of my civ??

4. Is there any way to see exactly how I gained fame?

5. A fair chunk of my fame came from newb quests, and I'm #9 in my game now. In my second game, will I get to do quests?

6. How in the world do people acquire 50-100 or more Great People? I have about five.

7. When I decide what to research, if no one else in my Civ is researching the same thing, I will do that research alone, yes? How can I tell who is researching what?

8. I don't really understand the military screen. I see a lot of grayed-out units and 3 color (non-grayed-out) units. I think I bought and contributed one unit.

9. Likewise, I've read about barbarians, but I've never seen any attack me. Do they avoid me because I'm in a big civ?

Thanks in advance!

Although I haven't played civ world for more than a year, I'll try to answer your questions.

1. -> http://wiki.2kgames.com/civworld/index.php/Ranks
2. No, a small and active team is the best.
3. No, you can't.
4. -> http://wiki.2kgames.com/civworld/index.php/Fame
5. Era wins (early or late) + the highest rank in your civ will give you the most fame points.
Also, late game era wins will give much more fame points than early game era wins.
6. Culture and/or buying them at the market. Great Persons are very cheap early in the game.
7. Yes. Most of the time you can see what other players are researching when you look at the maze of a specific tech.
But sometimes you simply don't know whether a player is in the next maze or set his/her research on hold at a already known tech.
8. -> http://wiki.2kgames.com/civworld/index.php/Battles
The battles are the ugliest part of civ world. They consume too much time + resources.
At the 2k civ world forum there's or was a screenshot where one side had 1 million strength.
9. Probably someone else defeated them or the barbs won and reduced your population.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm sorta getting the hang of it. I joined the biggest civ in the game, and whenever I gain fame, the people above me gain more fame. So yeah, next time, I may opt for a smaller, active civ.

The game is very stratified at this point.

I only play in games populated by folks who have played competitively for over a year. To win those games you need to be in a large civ of coordinated players who are online for at least 50% of the game.

In a game without any of those players, a top flight player can easily win in a civ all by themselves.

It is a strange world as you can easily outclass your competitors in one game and get thoroughly trashed in another based on the luck of the draw. Our throwback games are constantly getting players who felt they were experts... until about 24 hours in. ;)

On the plus side, most of the top players who still play the game play for the social aspects and thus are happy to chat with newbs and do a lot of teaching if you ask.

For example, your question 6:
6. How in the world do people acquire 50-100 or more Great People? I have about five

Most people who provide screenshots of that many great people are posting a screenshot of a farm (i.e. artificial) game. I watched a team of the game's 5 best puzzle swappers perpetually swap puzzles for 5 hours. They generated 70 great people FOR THE TEAM doing that. It is the best I have seen. I can generate 40-50 great people in 48-72 hours between puzzle swapping and Market manipulation, and I find few who can match that as an individual. Most screenshots that show folks having 100 greats are posted by horders who have been collecting great people for weeks... a top quality game using spam lasts <24 hours. A top quality game without spam lasts <72 hours. A strategy that requires a week to happen is not a viable strategy in the long run.

Top Bottom