News: Game of the month for Civ V - feedback appreciated

That method is too labor intensive to be useful. It would take 30 min or so per save. :( That would take 15 to 20 hours to review. Thats way too much time not playing :D

Lol yeah its like going into Australia on the various huge mape with true start locations. Nothing but barbs.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'd like some policy or ideology driven games. Ideally the lesser taken routes like autocracy or piety

Sent from my 2014813 using Tapatalk

Welcome Knowtalent!

I would like to ask, with the heavy emphasis given to “our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns!” -- Should the starts be allowed to be terribly compromised? Especially when you are trying to generate participation and the series is framed as a competition?

Yes, having to make a choice on T0 does add some interest. But I want in curated maps with a few good choices on T0. Not maps that look they are trying to troll me! I am thinking of TSG119 as an example:
  • SiP is bad. Gives up mountain and stoneworks (despite both stone and marble).
  • Moving is bad. To get mountain and/or stoneworks, you sacrifice the coastal spot (and all that normally entails) and opportunity to build UU in cap.
  • No dirt for UI anywhere in starting screen shot.

Hi beetle, the harder difficulty games often get harder maps. We dont fully design that many maps, the process for getting that done is labour intensive. Im fairly sure that Leif chose that map specifically to cause the initial choice of moutain or coast. The 1st of the month games are by design harder, though the arent always, just as the 15th arent always ideal. I will be doing next months 15th hopefully you will enjoy it :)
Thank you for the feedback

Any plans for traditional Christmas' special deity game? :)

It could be strong map with strong civ to max participation.

Hmmm let me check the list
IronfighterXXX hmm let me see. Lump of coal? Oh wait that's IronfighterXXIX. Strong like Babylon and 3 salts, Or strong like land locked Venice pangea domination? :mischief:

I think i can make something for Holidays. Now will i be Krampus or St Nick?

Cooked Deity Huns OCC would be fun. A long snaky fractal like map with 8 little areas that Warmonger Civs can grow. Eldorado, Cerro de potatoes, Solomon's Mines, and Mount Kilimanjaro all within range of Huns capital, and a huge area for Shaka or Cathy to city spam at the end of the line. If you don't make this map, I will lol. I need to learn how first though...

Cooked Deity Huns OCC would be fun. A long snaky fractal like map with 8 little areas that Warmonger Civs can grow. Eldorado, Cerro de potatoes, Solomon's Mines, and Mount Kilimanjaro all within range of Huns capital, and a huge area for Shaka or Cathy to city spam at the end of the line. If you don't make this map, I will lol. I need to learn how first though...
That could be constructed, but not in time for Christmas. There is just too much involved in creating a whole map. You literally have to put everything on the map. Which takes time...

No need to cook a Huns map for deity. They're very strong anyway. I prefer to have a deity map full of warmongering civs so that even turtling for science is difficult. You can try to give the starting capital extra buildings/lux/resource/workers to compensate for the difficulty but it'll be fun. In the Venice DCL, the start was cooked with full of resource/lux in the 3 ring and also with Petra prebuilt so it was very easy and it was actually fun despite the map full of multiple Shakas/Sejongs.

That could be constructed, but not in time for Christmas. There is just too much involved in creating a whole map. You literally have to put everything on the map. Which takes time...

Well regardless, if you do it, and are not a Krampus, I am looking forward to it! I will design this Hunnic OCC masterpiece on my own time and maybe post it in Strategy forum if it's not too much of an embarrassment.

How about this:

Large map with 2-4 extra civs
America
Renaissance Era start
Domination VC
Tailor the AI starting positions to give the human player a bit (just a bit) of breathing room at the start of the game.
Opponents include Assyria, Aztec, Germany, Greece, Japan, Mongolia, and Zulu (and other aggressive AIs). Perhaps throw in a couple of tall wonder hogs for good measure.

I'd love an Austria GOTM personally, there hasn't been one since GnK

I'd love an Austria GOTM personally, there hasn't been one since GnK

I third this request, Austria is great. Just don't make it a Diplo-V if you do Austria, that would make the UA become a U-PITA. Actually, it'd be cool to try and figure out how many City states to Marry to knock the vote down to a 1 turn cycle.

If it hasn't been decided yet I also vote for Austria and science victory on good map.

It has strong, still mostly unknown potential for quite easy adding mid and late game science, so it could be interesting :)

Just a couple more bits from someone who very much appreciated the IV GotM back in the day, but has not (sorry) found much appeal (yet) for participating in V GotM. Obviously, the format works for the regulars, and I have no idea how much appetite there is for trying new things.

With those caveats out of way, I would suggest rotating only through Emperor/Immortal/Deity and dropping the easier difficulty levels out of rotation completely. I think it would be more interesting to have more people describing how they managed, maybe just barely, to get through the game. As it is now, the dialog seems to be only about fewest turns to victory. Which makes sense when half the games are at a difficulty level where the only way to make them challenging (for most players on the forum) is to get through them as fast as possible.

For someone who is challenged at King and new to the forums, finding the GotM at King might seem ideal -- but I suspect that they would not come away with much that they can learn from. And they are certainly not going to feel welcome with the competition being so focused on quick wins. That person hits the same wall if s/he looks at Prince or Emperor. So the GotM is never really very inviting to a new participant, no matter what their skill level, until and unless that new participant is a very good player.

In contrast, if the GotM games were always at Emperor or better, I think you could regularly (at least with a third of your games) attract new additional Prince and King players that would at least be able to dialog with each other about their experiences. Having every third game a Deity run would have curmudgeons like me participating regularly (even with the Emperor and Immortal games).

Can you guys track your statistics of new participates over time? I suspect they drift in and out at pretty constant pace. But, of course, it is more likely that I am just projecting my own prejudices!

Top Bottom