News: TSG 143 Announcement

My first test game went well enough that I am going to jump into this one without a second test game or even finishing the first one. I got four caps from the WE. The last three will be much slower, probably would take me until cannons. So slow compared to the better players, but much better than I was expecting.

Elephant and horse rush (mostly elephants) with a few spears? And totally ignore all the unhappiness? Gold might be a problem.

With my test game, I did not need spears. I did a horseman as soon as I could. Gold is an issue. Happiness has been no problem at all. I did Liberty, and only one expo after the free one. I got one nice city from each of two AI before killing off their cap. Normally, when warmongering, taking cities in a peace deal is actually counter productive. These two cities were size 6+, so for India, the happy hit was quite minor.

Elephants and scouts, I think. Unhappiness might be annoying as India, I don't think it's even worth expanding here, probably better to just stay on 1 self-founded city.

I think the fastest wins may do that. I was pretty happy with my three cities. I stopped building units in the cap about when Notre Dame came online. The two expos were up and running by then, so that worked well for me and my more causal sweep.

I also wonder if March might be the best 3rd elephant promotion instead of Accuracy III or Barrage III since they are your front line.
I held out for Logistics, but I am going to settle for March for the GotM file. It takes too long for the WE get Logistics (and therefore become invulnerable), so I lost a couple, and by then their firepower is just not relevant. I was shifting to XB just as my WE became fun. (Another reason I walked away from the game.)

When you meet the other civs and they decide your warmongering is an issue, they slow down as they build military so you can knock out 3-4 civs before you are heavily in need of upgrading.

I expect great players will get 60 turn win easily with worker abuse exploit. Rest of us can expect 100+ turns. If you hit 150 just quit.

How is it even possible to get a 60 turn win with this? I'm just getting units out @ turn 60 and I'm not building much (3x scout, monument, granary, pyramids, spam units in cap - monument, granary, spam units in expand - using free settler from liberty).

I've tried a few variations, engineering NC to end game with xbow + knights, not researching writing at all and just winning the game with elephants and horsemen; it always seems to be turn 90-100 no matter what. I thought maybe sending workers to the center immediately to start building roads would help, but the game I did that actually ended up being longer than most.

I guess I'll try an occ honor game and see if teching straight to elephants, building just a monument and maybe a worker or two until then is any faster. I could probably do without the scouts though I like seeing exactly where the caps are and what the terrain is like around them before I get there. My suspicion is that the extra production from a 2nd city and the 1-turn roads and repairs from liberty+pyramids is optimal though. I've been using the engineer to block other civs from taking Great Wall when I don't go NC->xbow.

How is it even possible to get a 60 turn win with this? I'm just getting units out @ turn 60 and I'm not building much (3x scout, monument, granary, pyramids, spam units in cap - monument, granary, spam units in expand - using free settler from liberty).

I've tried a few variations, engineering NC to end game with xbow + knights, not researching writing at all and just winning the game with elephants and horsemen; it always seems to be turn 90-100 no matter what. I thought maybe sending workers to the center immediately to start building roads would help, but the game I did that actually ended up being longer than most.

I guess I'll try an occ honor game and see if teching straight to elephants, building just a monument and maybe a worker or two until then is any faster. I could probably do without the scouts though I like seeing exactly where the caps are and what the terrain is like around them before I get there. My suspicion is that the extra production from a 2nd city and the 1-turn roads and repairs from liberty+pyramids is optimal though. I've been using the engineer to block other civs from taking Great Wall when I don't go NC->xbow.
Turn 60 win requires the most optimal of maps. You can look at comparable HOF entries to get an idea. While four corners isn't the worst domination map, it isn't the most friendly one either. Realistically, you're probably doing things about as well as you can and I wouldn't read too much into it. Spam units and throw them at your opponents is all dom really is at lower difficulties...

That poster you quoted said the exact same thing in the last GOTM lol. I think it's just a number he arbitrarily made up.

Top Bottom