Next City Plot by Ace v2.3

Next City Plot by Ace v2.3 2016-11-14

Ace Cooper

Chieftain
Ace Cooper submitted a new resource:

Next City Plot by Ace - Mod to display the next plot a city will gain upon cultural border growth

This mod shows you where the city will expand to upon the next growth of cultural borders. It also display the number of turns left until the border expansion. Currently the marker is only available within the "Purchase Tile" city screen.

I'm open to any suggestions on improving this little mod.

I. Screenshots
Spoiler :

II. Features
Spoiler :

1. Shows the next plot the city will expand to upon the next cultural...

Read more about this resource...

Awesome, that's a really great help. Good find on that function returning the next plot!

Well, it took a player/modder to make a 'should be in vanilla' concept. :popcorn:
Spoiler :

6a7700b42be3996dce4176da0a06c075.png

Thank you fine sir for this mod!

I have just got an idea.
Since the resource icons often overlap with the border growth marker - I need to bring back the old-fashioned purple border from Civ5.
Well, I can take the assets for such border from the districts lense. Credits to this picture for the idea.

Nice. Now the quest to be able to indicate where you want to expand, or to at least decide where to expand considering city focus (food, prod, culture, etc.)

It's very possible I have missed a crucial step but I can't get the mod to show up in the additional content list. I dropped the folder in the mods folder but nothing. Hmm, any ideas?

Yeah, you should extract the mod in the DLC folder of the game itself, no the MOD folder in %UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods. Lets assume it was three-letter typo.

Also the mod doesn't show up, it is hidden in Additional Content browser by default. You can changed this behaviour by changing the mod descripton file Next_City_Plot_by_Ace.modinfo
Find the line <ShowInBrowser>AlwaysHidden</ShowInBrowser> and replace it with <ShowInBrowser>Visible</ShowInBrowser>

Lastly, when you start the game with this mod extracted in the DLC folder - you can hit ESC for the menu to show up - and there below the menu be the list of enabled mods with my mod among them if all done correctly.
Keep in mind that the next plot marker only shows up from the second turn after the city is placed - it's a game mechanics issue, i can't do anything about it right now.

And finally, check if any other mods you use also contain files PlotInfo.lua or PlotInfo.xml. Because if they both do - it is a conflict of imports and the last mod to load his file copy wins.
Changing mod order or merging mods is a whole different issue, I don't recommend touching it without basic LUA knowledge or programming skills.

Last edited:
Thanks, why this isn't included in vanilla is beyond me...

Can I ask why it needs to be extracted to the DLC folder rather than mods?

Yeah, you should extract the mod in the DLC folder of the game itself, no the MOD folder in %UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods. Lets assume it was three-letter typo.

Also the mod doesn't show up, it is hidden in Additional Content browser by default. You can changed this behaviour by changing the mod descripton file Next_City_Plot_by_Ace.modinfo
Find the line <ShowInBrowser>AlwaysHidden</ShowInBrowser> and replace it with <ShowInBrowser>Visible</ShowInBrowser>

Lastly, when you start the game with this mod extracted in the DLC folder - you can hit ESC for the menu to show up - and there below the menu be the list of enabled mods with my mod among them if all done correctly.
Keep in mind that the next plot marker only shows up from the second turn after the city is placed - it's a game mechanics issue, i can't do anything about it right now.

And finally, check if any other mods you use also contain files PlotInfo.lua or PlotInfo.xml. Because if they both do - it is a conflict of imports and the last mod to load his file copy wins.
Changing mod order or merging mods is a whole different issue, I don't recommend touching it without basic LUA knowledge or programming skills.

Awesome thank you for the response! Out of curiosity will this work with a game already in progress or would it require a new save to be activated?

Tiny "bug": If I change my culture out put (say, by moving some pop around) the turns until border growth counter doesn't adjust until I leave the "buy tile" screen and enter it again.

Very minor, but thought I'd mention for completeness.

Can I ask why it needs to be extracted to the DLC folder rather than mods?
Hm, legitimate question. I've just tested it and the mod really works from the Mods folder as well.
While working on Next City Plot I started from the Mods folder, found it not working and rejected the idea.
I guess it didn't work due to some markup errors, not because of particular game rules.
I will add this to the mod description page upon next release. Tnx!

here's another challenge for this kind of custom "Tiles growth device"... allow us (as seen in Civ5) to select which would be next in any possible expansion ranges!
Yeah, this is my goal for the next mod as we discussed in the Reddit community at /r/civ
Though without an actual SDK I don't think I can manage it.
So we have to wait some time for the modding tools from developers.
I'll try to contact Firaxis for an ETA on the SDK release, if they are not too busy diving into the pool of money right now =)

Awesome thank you for the response! Out of curiosity will this work with a game already in progress or would it require a new save to be activated?
I looked into this as well, way before starting this mod even, and the mods can be added to the existing save files with the help of a HEX-editor.
The mod reference is just a line near the beginning of the save file.
I'll find some time to write up a guide for this feature on the weekend.
Subscribe to my account updates or check back manually later.

Last edited:
Been doing a few mod spotlights around the forums, trying to get some attention to some of the great mods that people have created. I love this mod and it's really helped a bunch with city planning and is easy to install.

Just though I'd post it here as I usually do for the mods I spotlight.

Ace Cooper updated Next City Plot by Ace with a new update entry:

Next City Plot by Ace v2

• Next city plot marker now also available at Citizen Management screen
  • Border growth text now updates correctly when reassigning citizens
  • Added white border to the next city plot marker (Civ5 style)
  • The mod is now visible in the Additional Content screen (enabled by default)
  • Refined code, moved modifications into two new functions - ShowNextCityPlot() and HideNextCityPlot()

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom