NyNES: Might of the Pen

Condor, I believe Jiefin would have likely just told you that you're crazy and went back to sleep. However, placing a bug on Jiefin would be a bad move. He thinks they're delicious. :p

Anyways, yeah, let's try not to god mod or anything. The fighting hasn't even started yet.

Seeing that I have to enroll and stuff today and will sleep for the remainder of the day and therefore will not be able conclude the introduction as I had planned I am quitting. :(

You wouldn't have to finish your planned introduction in order to participate! Round one will last at least two weeks, after all.

How does the "arena" actually look like? I imagined some kind of a colosseum, but now that flyingchicken's mentioning it, it's quite possible that it's either changing for each combat, or have several sections with different terrain?

I was under the impression that it was taking place throughout the abandoned amusement park. I'm also under the impression that said park is on an island.

But seriously Nylan, if I did an entry with a character who is invulnerable, immortal, invisible, unexhaustable, have a never-ending shield which protects against anything (fx mind control) shoots nukes and decides the future, I know I wouldn't win per default, but how could the opponent find a creative way to defeat me?

I know that might not be the case with Cabera (his personality intrigues me btw), but even though my character is powerful, he is only moderately powerful, and nothing more than that. Thinking in actual realistical terms, I am pretty sure that so far there is no way I can defeat Cabera without bending either my or his character's apparence/abilities to a more balanced level.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: this is a STORYWRITING competition. There is nothing to worry about in terms of character creation fairness, and there is a solution to every writing challenge. You can't get an unfair advantage. Now please focus on your own writing. You keep tempting me to deliberately match you up against Cabera in the first round ;)

There are judges in this tournament for a reason, and a major part of their jobs is taking into account all challenges each writer had to deal with. Rest assured, you will be given your fair chance.

EDIT: Like the picture, Iggy :)

But seriously Nylan, if I did an entry with a character who is invulnerable, immortal, invisible, unexhaustable, have a never-ending shield which protects against anything (fx mind control) shoots nukes and decides the future, I know I wouldn't win per default, but how could the opponent find a creative way to defeat me?

I know that might not be the case with Cabera (his personality intrigues me btw), but even though my character is powerful, he is only moderately powerful, and nothing more than that. Thinking in actual realistical terms, I am pretty sure that so far there is no way I can defeat Cabera without bending either my or his character's apparence/abilities to a more balanced level.

I can think of a way... but I will save it for when I challenge you on the field.

Look lj. I know my character seems powerful. What to you want me to do tell you all his weaknesses? Fine. Strong emotion floods through him and can create metal static if you like leaving him unable to think straight like a really, really bad hangover times by a hundred. There's one. Shall I continue? What I was trying to point out was that condor_green had not addressed these issues in his story and I would quite happily help him amend his story so he does deceive Cabera. He can try again but this time guard his thoughts more closely. The perception filter is not infallible. It works by making Cabera extremely hard to notice not invisible and it works on all five senses BTW. You have not mentioned other characters potential overpoweredness and Cabera is also physically weak. I have said I will probably write about Cabera dying in my fight stories, maybe forever. Does he sound so perfect now? Oh and Cabera's body is not immortal, I thought you would have all worked that out by now, he is a telepath and he moves his mind to a new body, normally an animal until he can possess a child, normally a run-away on the streets, and return. This is extremely disorientating and he can only do it once every few years. I need to sleep now and I will address any more points in the morning. If you want me to reveal stuff just ask but I am not going to hand out a list of my character's powers and flaws unless the mod asks me to Ninja it is that simple.

Vertinari118, the other powers don't discourage me. My problem is that I can't (At least couldn't) see a reasonable counter against simple mind-control. But if Cabera's mind clutters up every once in a while due to his insanity, then sure, I can figure out some way to defeat him.

But as you read in my post, it was a global statement, not only being directed at you. And I did say it was based on the facts you had given me so far. Don't take it that offensively. I am not angry with you or anything. :)

I'd still like Nylan to answer my PM though. :p

Oh I've got a plan to beat him. If we are talking in terms of powers I think the Merc may be one of the few who could realistically beat him.

I'd still like Nylan to answer my PM though. :p

Answered :)

5 hours to signup deadline! Let's see if we can't find 2-3 more players and round out a nice 16 :king:

I asked Dachs, but he said his writing was too awful. I don't believe that lazy ass.

Thanks for the replies, now things are straightened out. :)

Vertinarii, sorry about the confusion but Nolan didn't place a bug on your character:blush:. I had a plan with planting sort of a special bug on your character. Nolan doesn't no Cabera exists right now. So again sorry with the confusion(and really I don't think it matters since you don't have to include the "bugs" in your story, there just important to future fight stories)

Ninja_Dude your right, but for the sake of being lazy lets just call it early morning grump.

I had thought it was made clear in the OP, but:

I was under the impression that it was taking place throughout the abandoned amusement park. I'm also under the impression that said park is on an island.

This.

Anyone can defeat Cabera. Use your head! You've no other choice I'm afraid. Cabera is strong but he is not overly strong. Look at the first story and think why didn't he kill the thugs, who would have killed him? Maybe he has an ethical code, that is correct, maybe his powers cannot be used to kill, correct as well: Cabera invades the minds of others and the hind-brain does not form part of the waking mind. The hind-brain cannot be affected by Cabera: he cannot stop your heart, your breathing; he cannot break your immune system or knock you out, but he can stun you. I will try and write a story about this at the weekend but if you need to write a story about Cabera send an e-mail or PM and I will help you kill him quite happily. I know I will need to ask you about Tok-Tok lj.;) Oh and Cabera won't be killing anyone in this competition. He will defeat you all in other ways. I would like to point out we don't even know the powers of some of the other characters. At least you can start brainstorming ideas for Cabera.

@ Condor_green Maybe I should have picked a different character than my own but what I was really getting at is you did not address the issues of getting a bug onto each character in your story and it is unclear as to whether you meant to or not. Now for some reason the story looks clearer to me. I must have just been tried and not read it properly.

Don't worry too much about showing how your character can be defeated. That's their job, not yours.

EDIT: And I have spoken with flyingchicken. He is indeed still very much in this. :)

Round 1

The laugh echoed.

It was a dark laugh…a disturbing laugh. It was the kind of laugh that withered your soul and sapped your strength. It was the kind of laugh that made you feel like no matter what you did, you would always be worthless. And the worst part?

They had no idea where it was coming from.

Nolan looked up and around, but there was no one to be seen. He guessed it must be emanating from the park’s PA system. Well…he hoped that was it. Sybrus shuddered at a thought before shaking it out of his head, while Jiefin and Germanicus looked around in surprise at the strange sound that seemed to be nowhere and yet everywhere at once. While each contestant reacted to the laughter in their own way, they eventually came to the same conclusion: whatever it was, it did not bode well.

The laugh was replaced by a sinister voice. “Greetings, my friends! I’m glad you all got my message, and I’m so happy to have you here. Welcome to Carnivale: a land of wonder and excitement! Please stay a while. We have rides, we have treats, and we have PRIZES!!!! But the question is, are you skilled enough to win “something nice” from one of our many attractions? We shall see. However, I don’t recommend you wait in line. That could get a little…messy.” The voice chuckled.

“Well I won’t take any more of your time. You’re here to enjoy the park, not listen to silly old me. Go on now, and play nice. If you ever need answers or help…well…too bad. But if you need some motivation, feel free to take a closer look at the observation tower! Hehehehehe….”

The laugh faded into the darkness as the power in the park came on. Lights flashed, music played, and rusted rides slowly creaked to life as a loud clang echoed across the park.

“Well, that’d be the gate.” Harry muttered to himself. He looked around, but saw no one in the light mist. “Guess I’d better get moving before one of those crazies finds me.”

…Too bad it was too late for that…

Matchups

Jiefin vs Anesthesia

Merc vs Cabera

Icekommander vs Germanicus

Sybrus vs Nolan

Thuraen vs Kyle

The Splotch vs Harlequin

Steven vs Tok-Tok

Entries should be posted in thread, and if written in multiple parts, linked together. The deadline for Round 1 entries is Saturday, June 20 at 12:00 A.M. (Midnight) - Please take note of the entry instructions in the rules.

Note: I will accept exactly two more players, if they are willing to face off against one another, purely because it would bring our numbers to 16. Otherwise, this is it. If you are interested, please let me know and I will try to find you an opponent.

Oh crap. I'm facing a psychic gnome with insecurity issues.

... Can't wait :D I'll probably throw a story together tonight. :D

(To present my powers, that is)

OOC: I pictured a fight against Cabera to be partially taking place in a mental battlefield, as he invades your mind in the midst of a physical fight.

Also, for some background, where are the lodgings, and should we skip straight to the fight, or should we write a bit of settling in first?

Oh, and are the fights simultaneous?

Top Bottom