Persian War - part 3

ravensfire

Member of the Opposition
After the last DP completely borked things up (nice job, Ravensfire! :mischief: ), we're finally in position to begin hammering Persia West.

I'll update this post tonight, but the jist of the plan will be a methodical beat-down. We've got a big stack, and we're going to use that to kill Persians. Many of them, in fact. The course will basically be the same as the previous plan, I'll just update the screen shot and look for tweaks.

I'm also going to see about removing the Persian's saltpeter source, if any. They DO have Nationalism, so the massed Cannons will be needed to red-line the Riflemen before our Cavalry charges in. This truly will be a methodical process, as it will take time to defeat everything.

There is a stack of workers with them, I suggest that we use them to build a Rail connect to our cities for quick healing and replacements.

-- Ravensfire

The Persian source of Saltpetre is on the northern island so will be difficult to pillage We do have a frigate but that will take a long time to get there. Pillaging the saltpetre will not prevent the Persians building Rifles, but it would prevent more Cavalry.

We now have 2 Cavalry Armies which will defeat Rifles easily, they also have a long reach and blitz ability. If our stack is large enough it may be worth sending the Armies and a few Cavalry as a more mobile force while the slow stack with the cannon takes on another more reachable city.

Workers will be essential to prevent our supply lines getting too stretched.

And now, the promised details!

Basically, the troops will move along the red lines, and attack along the blue lines. Please note that the attack on Pasargadae needs to be where is is to avoid attacking across a river.

The railroad will follow along on the red lines, and be protected by several defensive troops.

Once we capture Antioch, the Cavalry armies will swing towards Arbela, and go after the two far west cities. The remaining units will turn north, to Persepolis, and grind the capital into dust. This will keep our army together during the most likely counter-attack phase, and split them up at the end, to hasten the demise of Persia on this continent.

Thoughts?

-- Ravensfire, Minister of Defense

When attacking Pasgadae, the Cavalry will have to attack avoiding the river, but does it make a difference to bombard odds? I don't think so but can't actually remember at the moment. If the river makes no difference to bombarding, the Cannons can attack from S of the city while the Cavalry will have enough movement to hop over the river then attack. This will allow the attack one turn earlier than waiting for all troops to cross the river.

You don't think there are enough troops to send the Armies on ahead with a few Cavs to take Antioch earlier? Or they could attack Antioch on the same turn that we attack Pasgadae. From the position South of Pasgadae, they will be able to reach Antioch the same turn, just don't use the Armies unless you have to against Pasgadae then send the Armies and remaining Cavs against Antioch. Razing those 2 cities will clear the way to Persepolis.

Furiey - the Cannon (and some defensive troops) can probably stay on the other side of the river and bombard - that will get things going one turn earlier. I'll note that in my instructions.

I'd prefer that the army stays together until Antioch is captured. I'm concerned about a Persian counterattack, and that will hit before Antioch falls. Once that city is down, Persia is doomed.

Call me a methodical general - I'll use speed, but a sledgehammer works quite well too!

-- Ravensfire, Minister of Defense

In the preturn, some cavalry reinforcements can go near Persepolis; they'll be enough to finish the job (I'm thinking Persepolis will draft itself to size 6, and cannons should redline most, if not all, of the rifles there). The army may be healed enough to kill stuff in Arbela (let's hope Furiey's luck in that area is better than mine, so that it can kill more than one before going in the red), or maybe it should wait another turn. Then the cannons can go help with Gordium. I'm assuming we want peace after the Persian presence on our continent is gone (i.e., Gordium is razed)?

Persia will do peace right now for either:

A) 740 gold
B) 41 gpt, 2 gold
C) Communism, 3049 gold for Steam Power
D) Communism, 169 gpt, 7 gold for Steam Power

The only nation we are at peace with, France, won't give us squat for Steam.

Japan will not talk Peace straight up. England and Babylon don't have enough to worry about. Rome won't talk to us.

Oh, by the way, England went from being the number 3 power, to having a single city. Japan is huge over there. Huge. But I have a plan ...

-- Ravensfire

As you say, England went from the number 3 power down to a 1 city civ. We are currently at war with England after they declared on us as part of an alliance. Alliances were coming thick and fast at one point, but as they were amongst the small Civs it was not critical. Even Rome joined in and got knocked back to 1 city again. But what to do about England? That city is pretty useless in the Tundra where it it, but if we (or Japan who they are also at war with) destroy it, then that is England gone and our choice of cities is restricted to the original English cities on the other continent (I think :confused:). We could try and protect England, making peace as soon as possible to allow them to settle a city where we wish by shepherding their Settler into position. This overlaps with our choice of which city we want from England, but I ask it here as we need to know - do we wipe out England or not?

Peace with Persia is fine, let's DO keep them off our island, tho.

But let's not reduce our options - protect the English (someone has to!) ;)

The Japanese are trying to tell us that size DOES matter... :lol: Now that's funny! Ravensfire, let's go knock some heads together across the water.

I've gotta say, 3000 gold is a powerful, powerful arguement. If there's any other nation (Japan especially) that would also grab peace, and trade for Steam, I would say go for it.

I support making peace immediately with Persia under option C.

France, on the other hand, is gonna get whooped on.

-- Ravensfire

Excellent progress, and from what I can see Rheims, Rennes, Marseille, Lyons, Hannover and Bayonne should all fall in the next preturn!

This will leave the French with the main cities of Tours and Orleans with the minor cities of Paris, Grenoble and Amiens in the southern tundra.

Razing these cities will destroy the French as the French islan cities have fallen to Japan and Persia.

Top Bottom