Please Read: Welcome to the Civ-V GOTM

Since the file name is GlobaDefines.xml, why the requested clarification in 3? Is there some rampant misapprehension among community members that some files ending in .xml are, somehow, not xml files?

On the other hand, removing "other" from 4 is a good change. And I would delete "unfair" if it were up to me -- if a mod gives any advantage, it should be prohibited, rather than opening up debates about whether the advantage is benign or "unfair."

Since the file name is GlobalDefines.xml, why the requested clarification in 3?
I am requesting the clarification because I am trying to figure out, in hindsight, if there is any phrasing that might have alerted me to the fact that I was effecting GotM save files without intending to do so.

I read the OP before my first GotM submission. That group of rules is clearly about not hacking. I was not hacking. I never gave them a second thought. And maybe I had already changed GlobalDefines!

On a scale of one to ten, with using the MODS menu button being a 1 (in difficulty) and crafting an actual-but-trivial mod being a 10, I would put changing a number in GlobalDefines at about a 2. I also would not have ever expected my GlobalDefines file to effect a saved game, since I assumed that only effected the initial map generation, and not the in-play game rules. I would like for OP to provide more clarification about how sensitive shared files are. (OTOH, you might not exactly want to advertise how very easy it is to “hack” game play.) The way OP is written did not connect the dots for me, and I do not think I am a particularly stupid person.

I am recommending that you call out GlobalDefines specifically because if a person is temped to changes only one file, that is probably the one they touch. Plus, you know, modern OSs hide the file extension by default. That GlobalDefines is XML can easily be overlooked, especially by someone just trying to change a game play setting that feels like it belongs in the menu options.

Candidly, I have little sympathy for your position. GlobalDefines is the file that specifies nearly every parameter that affects the game, from food consumed by each citizen, base research rates per citizen, and the parameters for city growth and cultural border expansion, to happiness per luxury and per natural wonder, unhappiness per population and per city, unhappiness growth penalties, great general range and many, many other key parameters (see http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Civ5_GlobalDefines). it sounds like you tinkered with one element of GlobalDefines (city spacing), but you could have chosen to transform the game in myriad other ways -- would your excuse still have been "oh, I changed GlobalDefines many months ago, so shouldn't I get a pass"?

I broke the rules, intent does not matter, and I am not asking for a pass. But I am sure it that you did not mean for the rules to be so easily broken by accident. It is too late for me, but I am asking for additional clarity in OP so that someone who does the most trivial changing of game settings might see enough detail to trigger a clue to the effect, “Oh yeah, that applies to me!”
GlobalDefines is the file that specifies nearly every parameter that affects the game, from food consumed by each citizen, base research rates per citizen, and the parameters for city growth and cultural border expansion, to happiness per luxury and per natural wonder, unhappiness per population and per city, unhappiness growth penalties, great general range and many, many other key parameters.
Is that not all the more reason to call it out specifically?
On the other hand, removing "other" from 4 is a good change. And I would delete "unfair" if it were up to me -- if a mod gives any advantage, it should be prohibited, rather than opening up debates about whether the advantage is benign or "unfair."
Why even qualify it with the word “advantage” at all? The qualifier “advantage” is just as subject to debate as “unfair”. The rule could simply be:
4. Using mods.​

Last edited:
I read the OP before my first GotM submission.
I also read the OP after I learned that I had changed the behavior of GotM files. I wanted to see, with the benefit of hindsight, if (1) that I should have realized that GlobalDefines changes files that others generate, and (2) if the rules forbid what I did.

(1) is still no, I think, sorry. But OP is probably not the right place for that sort of information.
(2) is yes, but I had to read it twice even after I knew about (1)!

So my opinion is OP could and should provide additional clarification.

I don't understand why globaldefines.xml has to be called out specifically. I've said any xml file. Surely that covers it?

I've said any xml file. Surely that covers it?
Yes, from a lawyerly perspective, you have covered it. But the phrasing is not as helpful as it could be to the more casual ‘modder’.
I don't understand why globaldefines.xml has to be called out specifically.
Because you are trying to help amateurs avoid mistakes and an example would be illuminating.

Civ 5 GOTM - I am new to the competition. I downloaded the file but I do not know how to open it in Civ 5 so I can play it. May someone advise me with that?

Civ 5 GOTM - I am new to the competition. I downloaded the file but I do not know how to open it in Civ 5 so I can play it. May someone advise me with that?
On Windows, you can put the save file in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single. Then you can load it like you would any other save.

May I ask what exactly means "Victory Condition: Science (all VCs are enabled)"? Does it mean only Science victory is enabled or all victories are enabled? And I have to achieve only Science victory, right? Even if all other victories would be enabled (so I simultaneously have to prevent computers from achieving any other victory too, right?).

It means that the goal of this Game of the Month is a Science Victory. All other VC's are enable so you may, if you wish, choose the victory condition you would like to play for as you are not forced to play for Science VC.

This was decided early on because the goal of Game of the Month has been to help players improve their game as much as being a competition. Going for a targeted victory condition allows players to more closely compare their games and learn from one another.

It "counts" as you have completed the game. There really are no "standings".

Not sure what you are trying to achieve?

Then I do not understand why there is mentioned Science victory in the conditions, when I can also win by any other mean? What is the purpose of that?

As I said in the post several above, to make the games more comparable. Hard to compare games that all have differing victories, no?
It means that the goal of this Game of the Month is a Science Victory. All other VC's are enable so you may, if you wish, choose the victory condition you would like to play for as you are not forced to play for Science VC.

This was decided early on because the goal of Game of the Month has been to help players improve their game as much as being a competition. Going for a targeted victory condition allows players to more closely compare their games and learn from one another.

I read that. Just then it makes no sense to try to achieve any other type of victory than science victory if the purpose is to compare science victories. I would be left out of the competiton if I have achieved, for instance, Domination victory, even if I would have achieved that 10 turns faster than the fastest player with science victory.

Just then it makes no sense to try to achieve any other type of victory than science victory if the purpose is to compare science victories. I would be left out of the competiton if I have achieved, for instance, Domination victory, even if I would have achieved that 10 turns faster than the fastest player with science victory.
This is essentially correct. I think leif was just saying that GotM is not a strict competition like Hall of Fame for example; so you can, if you want, go for any victory. You should try and achieve the stated victory type goal in the GotM though. And sometimes that adds to the fun of the game, because you have to avoid getting another type of victory that would come sooner.

Allright, I just wanted to make this clear. :) I played a few testing games with the given conditions and diplomatic victory would be the fastest, probably a lot faster than science victory so I need to adjust strategy then.

@Wuji Everybody plays the same game, and tries for the same type of victory. Then we share our stories and compare them. There really is no contest anymore, other than informally comparing the number of turns you took to how everyone else did. After that I often play the game again and do something different; maybe a different type of victory but usually the same kind with a different strategy. But what I post to the After Actions thread is the first run-through.

The stated victory type keeps me from getting into a rut always playing science or always playing domination (etc) :)

Top Bottom