1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Main site is finally re-opened! We migrated it to a new CMS and gave it a new layout as well.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Downloads database has been migrated and re-opened! Check it out and post in Site Feedback if any issue. We have done URL re-write so that old links will continue to work.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A new Civ6 theme forum style is now available and it's made the default forum style! Check it out and comment here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. We have successfully migrated the forum from vBulletin to Xenforo! Please take a look around and report any issue you see in Site Feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranged units tactics

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Napo981, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Napo981

Napo981 ***ernEmperor

May 26, 2005
    I want to know how you use ranged units. I want to know different strategies than mine, particularly in the pre-bomber era.:confused:

For my part, I first lower city def with cats(or other ranged units).

Then I send a first wave of "kamikaze" low level cats to weaken the enemy, then a second wave of high level ranged units I try to level up a little bit.

I like to give these ranged units city attack ability to have better chance of surviving:sad: .

I heard some people are able to get cats to 5th level...:eek:

Wanna hear from you!!:cooool:
  2. weimingshi

weimingshi Chieftain

Feb 22, 2004
    Give them flanking promo, helps survival rate. personally get an artillary to level 5 is stupid. artillary is a fire and forget unit, much like missles in previous civ.
  3. Ezy

Ezy Chieftain

Oct 31, 2005
    i dont see why u are losing
    after u get the town to 0%, usualy 2-3 cat/can/ or art and then just pull a stack of ur unints on tonw, i always have moare unints attacking then defending, always. Make sure ur units have +% vs city, i think thats the best because no matter what units is in it u will have bonus vs him, i can go on
    but im sure there are beter threds on this, read them up im sure ull see what u are missing:cool:
  4. nullspace

nullspace Chieftain

Aug 20, 2002
    Siege units can't get flanking. It would be useful, though.

There's a few tricks that I use:
    Four catapults with the accuracy promotion are enough to destroy the defenses of any city in one turn. So I get four of those and keep them around even in the modern age.

I usually go with barrage promotions for most catapults. They're almost certain to lose, so they might as well do as much damage as possible.

Sometimes I use city raider or combat (for attacking stacks outside of cities). If the promotion gives a decent chance of survival, then it's worth it. Also if I want to do more damage the the unit the catapult fights than to other units in the stack. I usually don't promote catapults until right before they fight.