RBC15f - Ottomans - OPEN - Emperor

I'll take this game. It appears we're still in quiet builder mode... maybe.

We are probably still in the midst of the worker push. We didn't start with any offensive military so we need some time to build up a force. Don't be shy about cash-rushing Courts or other infrastructure. I doubt Libraries are a useful build but Markets definitely are. (Even before our cheap Cathedrals).

If you get strictly builder/trading turns it could be pretty quick and dull. This game isn't attracting a flood of attention so I doubt anyone would mind if you played 2 peaceful years (12 turns) so you could at least do a round of trades.

Watch for a 2-fer on Nationalism, it has to spread around a bit soon. And send a couple of troops after the slaves we are trying to use to build colonies on the Russian lux. I think barb Camps might be able to sprout out there.

Pre-flight – Nov 1801 – Map study shows that the French have had a city razed just north of the Pyrenees. In western Europe war is raging. In the east, peace reigns.

City check – everything looks good. Mess around with a few moves, but end up with everything the way it started.

Diplo check – We can get nationalism. Russia will sell for WM & 919G. No one else comes close. Then Naples will sell it for 859G & WM. Nationalism doesn’t add a great deal to our military, but it does get us closer to Advanced tactics. I’m not sure why we’re bothering with researching at a pace that will get us Code Civil in 91 turns. There are only 85 turns left in the game. Change our lone scientist to a working citizen. If we really wanted to research, we should be working towards Advanced Tactics (a 5.5.1 unit which is pretty weak in this game.) and Artillery Tactics which gives the Grand Battery. I will hold off buying Nationalism until we are further along. Investing in our infrastructure is better.

Military dude says we are weak. Let’s see 19 muskets, and one Sip. You’re right!

Guys, I don’t want to sound too negative here, but if the game only lasts 96 turns, and if we’re going to be investing in courthouses. Let’s get them on line so our investment can actually have some return. I spend about 800G, short rushing five courts and a harbor.

IBT – Russia and Austria sign a MPP. Naples declares war on Austria
Athens: worker=>worker
Thessilonika: worker=>Sip
Afyan: cannon=>cannon

1. Jan 1802 – Austria now has nationalism. Why do we have Danish workers way up in Russia? :hmm: Go back and read the log and see Troy’s suggestion of some colonies up north. Send them that way.

Spend 80G finishing off Mostar’s courthouse. Want to see what increase we’ll see.

IBT – Portugal and the Netherlands declare on the Austrians. Don’t these little civs have their hands full with the Nappy one?
Mostar: court=>cannon (production went from 2 spt to 4 spt.)
Cide: Harbor=>Musket

2. March – Start building a pass over the mountains to Sibiu. Spend 64G on Sulina’s court and 88G on Chisinau’s court.

IBT – Sofia: duct=>sip
Athens: worker=> worker
Sulina: court=>cannon (production 2 =>4 spt)
Chisinau: Court=>musket (4=>7 spt)

3. May – Spend 72G on Orsovo’s court. I find the lack of military progress by any of the warring parties in western Europe to be pretty amazing.

IBT – Bucharest: court=> sip
Angora: sip=>sip
Orsovo: court=>musket

4. July – Disperse a barb camp, pass “Go” and collect 25G.

IBT – Athens: worker=>sip (Actually I should start an Olympic stadium and it may get built by 2004)
Spokje: court=>sip

5. Sept – Found the spice colony east of Russia. Russia and France now know Code Civil.

IBT – The Dutch want to swap TM’s, no thanks.
Istanbul: Sip=>sip

6. Nov – The pass over to Austria is complete.

After Action – Our production is starting to take off. We are just one or two shields short of being at optimal in several loctions (i.e. Istanbul is at 19 spt and Angora is at 18 spt.) We already have several cities producing nice numbers, Athens is at 10 spt.

We have 5 cannon and three sipahi. We’ll need a bit more than that to attack Austria. We’re probably another year away from war. We may want to sign a MPP with Russia and have Austria attack us. No screenshot as nothing has changed, including the map of Europe.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/RBC15f,_Nov.,_1802_AD.SAV

:bump:ing the thread again, feel free to try it out, this is a fun conquest, fast-paced and all. :)

C'mon people, give it a try!

You, just you. You who lurk there in the shadows waiting for a game to strat so you could join, try this SG, it's easy and casual. No need to panic in front of the great players like T_McC and Bugsy. Come and play. :)

I may take this at some point. However, I am overloaded with non-civ stuff at the moment.

Ankka said:
C'mon people, give it a try!

You, just you. You who lurk there in the shadows waiting for a game to strat so you could join, try this SG, it's easy and casual. No need to panic in front of the great players like T_McC and Bugsy. Come and play. :)
You never established a roster for this? I might have a go at it this weekend... (I owe Bede some turns in a rather vexing situation...need to deal with that tonight...)

This may be the last building year, or we may need 1 more. We should definitely be ready to start wars by turn 30. From what Bugsy posted we still have to build up our military.

Just a couple of things: Keep those slaves headed for the Russian lux. Having all 7 accessible lux means we can withstand almost unlimited warring without having to run a lux tax. It also means we don't have to trade with anyone, if we don't want to. We also shouldn't be shy about colonizing the extra lux that are outside our cultural boundaries. There is plenty of cash to be made selling to people we aren't fighting.

Avoid MPP's. We want to be able to choose what wars we fight. In my shadow it has proven to be very cheap to buy anyone we want in on our side during wars.

I still think this start is winnable by Domination. In my shadow I waited until turn 40 to start attacking, and with a little more than 10 turns remaining it's going to be a nail-biter. It should come down to the last turn between VP and the Domination limits. Lesson: Don't wait 40 turns into a 96-turn game to go on offense. :lol: You get too many points from unit kills and city captures to make Domination comfortable.

With only three sipahi, we aren't ready for anything at the moment, although by the end of the Kiech's turns we should be well prepared. That would be about 30 turns into it.

I think we're only 3 years/18 turns into the game. So even if Keich gets a builder's turn, he at least gets to do some trading. (Not with Austria!)

Don't be afraid to cash-rush infrastructure. We will never research so Libraries are only useful if we want to fight a culture war at our borders. Courthouses still have plenty of time to pay off, and Markets are always good. (Much better than Cathedrals for Happiness if we have 7 lux.) I believe some of our towns can also use Aqueducts.

The sooner we get infra out of the way, the easier it will be to mobilize. That is, once we acquire Nationalism. A discount on tech is an excellent use of our spare lux.

Preflight: Our workers up north want me to make sure we don't war vs Russia so their colonies don't get whacked. No problem guys.

There are a number of possibilites out there, I can't resist but go for trading techs. Code civil from Russia for 31gpt 635g. Nationalism, 11gpt and a deal-breaking 14g from Italy for Code Civil. Naval tactics and 13g from Spain for Code Civil. We have all known techs. I could trade what we have to some of the other civs, but it doesn't appear to be worthwhile.

Researching still isn't useful to us, so I leave it off. We should watch for any two-fers that appear.

Symaria is a nice productive town, but needs a harbor to grow anymore, so I switch to it.

IBT: Prussia wants us to fight France...no thanks, but I do get RoP. Sweeden and France sign vs Portugal.

(1)Jan 1803: Holy crap...code civil lets us build roads in 1 turn, and mines in 2. Very nice. Mostly worker movements. I place a Musket on top of a mountain near Athens just in case any barbs show up. No deals yet, so I move on. Athens is MM to grow faster.

(2)Mar 1803: More movements...I want to switch to Mobilization to have a proper force for the next player to attack with, but we have to wait for the FP to complete.

IBT: Italy wants to trade WM with us...ok. Austria and France sign vs Spain. It looks like Italy is taking a beating from the Austrians. Russia declares on Spain. France declares on Russia.

(3)May 1803: I traffic horses and dyes over to Italy, cleaning out his coffers. I send horses, dyes, and wines to Denmark for a worker, and 10gpt.

IBT: We lose our silks. Italy wants more money...way too much as we are also giving him iron. I end the deal, our silk road is almost done anyways. Russia asks us for wines and ROP...hmm no. Russia declares on Italy. Sulina riots.

(4)Jul 1803: I raise lux to 30% so we get wltk day in our FP town. Switch Sulina to a marketplace. Seapower and Espianoge is known. Best deal seems to be from Spain for 4gpt and 835g. Done. Seapower is a little pricey, even when using our wines to deal with Russia. So I throw in our last dye!!! And get it for 21gpt. I trade Code Civil to Prussia for 8gpt and 18g. I will have the our extra luxuries hooked up for the next player.

IBT: :sleep:

(5)Sept 1803: I work feverishly to hook up the extra luxuries. Our worker making a silk road wayyy up north finds a BARBARIAN CAMP right next to the silks!!! Ugh. We should have sent calvary over there with him. I setup a ROP with Russia for 40g, and send a worker and horse. I learn Russia has Advanced Tactics. Seems France is the tech loser right now.

IBT: Prussians declare on Austria. Russia Declares on the Prussians. And our silk worker dies...

(6)Nov 1803: My computer starts moving really slow...good thing this is my last turn. Ah, perhaps closing my mail program will help, eh? I setup a colony for dyes right outside our territory. All we are missing are silks and the elusive elephants.

Sorry, no pictures as I usually show. Our workers are running out of jobs, and I have a few trying to colonize the remaining luxuries. I highly suggest mobilizing as soon as the FP is done. We have 7 calvary in all, and more on the way. Try to rush the market in Sulina, it really needs the happiness. I think Italy will fall soon, and suprisingly, the Dutch are not doing badly at all.

The Save.

Looking at the posts made during my turns, I hope I didn't dissapoint too much. There is no way we are ready for a war yet. We may want to send an extra worker up north to make an outpost so no more barbarians show up, but the horse should be able to take care of that.

We can build the naval academy (Frigate every 5 + movement) and the Spy HQ, but wanted to let the next player choose where they should go.

That was just fine. I think you got 5 techs in 6 turns. :lol:

Yeah, unfortunately we'll have to guard our colonies outside Russia. Or at least 1 of them. They may be close enough together to only require a single unit.

I doubt we'll ever need the Naval Academy. Who are we going to attack by boat?

Top Bottom