RBtS1b - The Thief Economy

I've started to limit myself to one SG at a time for precisely this reason. I ended up needing to be skipped too often because I would be up in 2 or 3 at once all the time.

Eh...it isn't normally an actual problem (and it's balanced pretty well - this game is really early and fast, and "The Sun Never Sets..." is in a late-game war mode) to get the reports out in the mandated 48 hours, it's just curious to me that I now have 6 strait turnsets with 2 or more games up at once.

I do notice that some players tend to get their reports only a few hours after their "got-it" posts, while I normally approach the deadline. I sort of fell bad about that, but I'm just a deadline oriented person. I guess you'd get much faster play out of me if someone started a fast-paced SG with 12 hour play times.

Some more comments after looking at the save: we'll get our Gold online in 2 turns, which is handy. Granaries are needed throughout (L can whip its one), and more workers for max cottage cheese.

I'd avoid the quest: we'll be in classical too soon and 8 chariots would hurt our finances too much.

Re: multiple 'up'. I try to note the day I plan to play in such situations: I feel it gives the team a chance to pick up the save and chime in with advice. Otherwise there's the 'has he played?' question that leads people not to offer advice that may well be redundant.

Re: multiple 'up'. I try to note the day I plan to play in such situations: I feel it gives the team a chance to pick up the save and chime in with advice. Otherwise there's the 'has he played?' question that leads people not to offer advice that may well be redundant.

95% of the time, if I haven't posted the turnset I haven't played. I type the report as I play, so it only takes me a few moments to copy it into Firefox and upload the pics.

To be specific however - these turns will be played and go up late Thurs night, EST.

Back in action.

Granaries are needed throughout (L can whip its one), and more workers for max cottage cheese.

I'd avoid the quest: we'll be in classical too soon and 8 chariots would hurt our finances too much.
Agree with both.

My thoughts were that we would plan to attack one either Egypt or Persia and then steal tech from the other. Does this make sense? If so, then we should wait on religion until we are clear which way we go.

Welcome back, ungy. I think you've about summed up the plan. With his capital, I'd favour leeching Darius' techs, but Alphabet will show how the techscape looks, and then we can debate our options.

Roster
Kodii -
pindicator -
sunrise089 - currently playing
ungy - on deck (tbc)
Swiss Pauli -

ungy - is it OK for you to swap with me (I can't play til Monday)?

I like Darius better because he has some really nice economic traits and seemingly a better capital. You're right about waiting until Alphabet to attack though.

Whichever one we pick to steal from, we're going to want help them expand as well. We will only be able to tech as fast as they do, after all.

Well we have 5 cottages, 3 more under construction, and five workers, plus a settler under way, so I guess we're ok. Next player can seriously consider building lots of military, as infrastructure looks good.

Turn 0: Press enter

Turn 1: Holkin kills barb warrior near where I presume will be our next city spot.

Turn 2: Whip granary in Lakahma

Turn 5: We meet Wang Kon.

Turn 6: Whip work boat in Uxmal, start monument

Turn 7: Whip work boat in Chitzen Itrza, start Granary

The Roster:
Kodii
pindicator
sunrise089 - just played
ungy - up!
Swiss Pauli - on deck

The Save:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/91988/RBtS1b_BC-0850.CivBeyondSwordSave

Pics are boring for this set, but available upon request.

Had a look at the save anf have the following advice:

- postpone settler for now, we need to get some more cottage working pop to hand before we found the next city;

- switch Monument for Granary in Uxmal (it has Judaism to pop borders);

- remember than we can swap the corn tile between Uxmal and Lakahma;

- train an axe or two (and an exploring chariot).

Meeting Wang is interesting: he could tech quite well and, if he does, he would make a better target for the Pie Bomb than Darius, whose lands we'd quite like to take sooner rather than later. The only problem would be to find him...

OK here's my thoughts for the set.. 10 turn set I assume?

switch uxmal to gran. get a couple of chariots out to scout once we get OB.

delay settler a bit(1 char) so we can get some workers over to city site. While it will whack research initially, it is a great city site and better to get it going and switch to work cottages in other cities to compensate. Then we can build quickly with 3 great production cities and 2 good whippers.

I think looking at the map we will most likely want to rush Persia pre-cats. Cats are nerfed in BTS and waiting to steal con is too long IMHO. So if I have extra builds get barracks, axes going.

Meeting Wang is interesting: he could tech quite well and, if he does, he would make a better target for the Pie Bomb than Darius, whose lands we'd quite like to take sooner rather than later. The only problem would be to find him...
I think better to pie bomb someone closer--there is a distance penalty. Wang also has a pretty low score here so probably not as good tech as usual.

Also all the stealing will likely poison relations, so better they're the next target.

I think better to pie bomb someone closer--there is a distance penalty. Wang also has a pretty low score here so probably not as good tech as usual.

Also all the stealing will likely poison relations, so better they're the next target.

Both good reasons to steal from Darius. If Darius does sour enough to attack, we have the perfect counter for his units!

OK here's my thoughts for the set.. 10 turn set I assume?

switch uxmal to gran. get a couple of chariots out to scout once we get OB.

delay settler a bit(1 char) so we can get some workers over to city site. While it will whack research initially, it is a great city site and better to get it going and switch to work cottages in other cities to compensate. Then we can build quickly with 3 great production cities and 2 good whippers.

I think looking at the map we will most likely want to rush Persia pre-cats. Cats are nerfed in BTS and waiting to steal con is too long IMHO. So if I have extra builds get barracks, axes going.
We're on Epic speed, so 15 turns is fine.

I think we're probably too late to rush Darius: with that capital and his traits, he should have good military options (and potentially Jumbos). I don't think the tech stealing will impair our relationship too much as most discovered spies are of undetermined origin, and attacking our prime tech source seems like biting the hand that feeds us; let's see what our scouting chariots can tell us about Darius' units before deciding on war.

OK here goes:
850 switch Uxmai to gran, delay settler in Mural (char), Lak steals corn.

Since we're undecided about who to attack I plan to get a couple of chariots out scouting and just build axes since they will be useful whoever we go for.
The worker and settler under construction are sufficient for our expansion.
Plan to work more commerce tiles.

IBT Shaka-jud.
IBT Wang offers OB, Darius takes HR.
775 Lak worker-char. Whip gran in Uxmal--bar.
725Lak char-axe, Mut char-settler.
IBT GLH built
700 whip gran in Chicken Itza
675 Writing in OB Darius, Hat. Pasargade has 2 archers defending.
IBT holkian kills barb archer.
650 Thebes has a single archer defending!
625 build road in Persia. Mutal settler-axe.
600 building road to Egypt.
575 Pesopolis has only one archer. I'm guessing we should axe rush Darius.
550 Persian city of Tarsus has one sword and iron mine.
IBT Hindu in Mutal.
500 Mutal, Lak Axe-axe. Scout Susa 2 archers, axe.

Turn the helm over to the next emperor.
Darius has two irons--one by Tarsus and one by Ectbana. I still think an axe rush makes sense. Both Hat and Darius seem really weak so we can probably take either but my vote would be Darius. If so we should MM both Mutal and Lak for 2 pop whip next turn.
Zulu will OB--I didn't.

save is here:

Attachments

• RBtS1b BC-0500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    129 KB · Views: 108
I've got it, but the weakness of Hatty and Darius makes me think we have reason to attack sooner rather than later. I don't favour attacking Darius: he already has Monarchy which means he's the tech leader and (probably) on the way to Feudalism and Longbows. He also has Jumbos which, if paired with an Axe, can give us headaches.

Hatty has War Chariots, but our Holkan can cope with them, and she doesn't have Monarchy yet, so I'd prefer to attack her, and milk Darius for tech (esp. military tech short term). She has two workers we can steal, too, and she's diplomatically isolated by being Hindu.

I'll delay my set to get input from the rest of the team.

Top Bottom