Resources Ideas

I had a couple random thoughts regarding Obsidian. First of all, I've noticed that health and happiness are pretty easy to come by in the Industrial and Modern Eras and I'd like to rein those in just a bit. Hospital and Medical Clinic have what seems to me to be unnecessary +1:health: from both Obsidian and Lead. I think we could take these off without it hurting gameplay at all.

Second, without these bonuses, there really isn't a reason for Obsidian to hang around after the Classical Era is over; it can serve as the resource requirement for Spearmen, Axemen, Light Swordsmen, and Heavy Horsemen, but that's all. I was thinking about having Obsidian go obsolete somewhere during the Medieval or Renaissance Eras -- Metallurgy seems like the best bet, as by that point you have Longbowmen or Arquebusiers that are superior to any unit that can be built with Obsidian only. (I also had a brief thought about Lead going obsolete in the Modern Era, but I realized we want to keep that around for nuclear stuff, so I'm not going to touch that.)

Civilopedia says:

"Obsidian is used in cardiac surgery, as well-crafted obsidian blades have a cutting edge many times sharper than high-quality steel surgical scalpels, with the edge of the blade being only about 3 nanometres wide. Even the sharpest metal knife has a jagged, irregular blade when viewed under a strong enough microscope. When examined under an electron microscope an obsidian blade is still smooth and even. One study found that obsidian produced narrower scars, fewer inflammatory cells, and less granulation tissue in a group of rats.

Obsidian is also used for ornamental purposes and as a gemstone. It possesses the property of presenting a different appearance according to the manner in which it is cut. When cut in one direction it is a beautiful jet black; when cut across another direction it is glistening gray. "Apache tears" are small rounded obsidian nuggets embedded within a grayish-white perlite matrix."
This makes me sence for the +1:health:

Regarding lead: This is actually not a health bonus increment, rather an unhealth penalty reduction. Lead is unhealthy, but modern health care can handle it.

You may change these if you insist, but IMO it is better to leave them as they are; though it is not a big issue.

I don't think obsidian vs. steel scalpels is worth an entire point of health. The same goes for lead; the Hospital bonus itself covers treating that. +1 health should be something that has a big impact, and I think we have way too many of these little bonuses scattered around without realizing just how much they add up. Pruning some bonuses back will make paying attention to health and happiness important for a longer period of the game; right now, it seems to me that the late Industrial Era is where health especially stops being something worth caring about because you will have so much of it that it overwhelms all your unhealth.

I don't think obsidian vs. steel scalpels is worth an entire point of health. The same goes for lead; the Hospital bonus itself covers treating that. +1 health should be something that has a big impact, and I think we have way too many of these little bonuses scattered around without realizing just how much they add up. Pruning some bonuses back will make paying attention to health and happiness important for a longer period of the game; right now, it seems to me that the late Industrial Era is where health especially stops being something worth caring about because you will have so much of it that it overwhelms all your unhealth.

Oh man! I just knew you make me change my mind :D
You are right, I agree than.
Go ahead please :goodjob:

What about biofuels?They still give :) instead of :health: bonus.

I really don't know. I'd like for them to not give either bonus and just be an alternate source for Oil Products, but the current mechanics (one Oil resource allows as many Oil Products resources as you have cities that can handle Oil Refineries) don't really support that.

I'm doing some checking of the current trick counts, and I noticed a couple of places where the prerequisites for a resource and its improvement do not match up at all. So I'm going to do a little bit of standardizing work on two resources.

Ancient Relics: Revealed at Astronomy, enabled with Astronomy, improvement available at Scientific Method. I think I forgot to change this in-code; I want both the enabling and the improvement to be at Archeology. I don't mind the revealing at Astronomy; I think it gives players a chance to spot the resource and start working towards it before it really becomes useful.

Wine: Always visible, enabled with Monarchy, improvement available at Fermentation. I'm going to standardize the improvement and enabling on Fermentation. Monarchy has six tricks without Wine, so I don't think it necessarily needs to have Wine as well. I think this is probably a holdover from BTS.

I wonder if the two 'prehistoric parks' would get any +%Production Speed or something with Fossils :lol:

Yeah yeah, I know that resource isn't getting in - but it was a thought that crossed my mind earlier after those wonders were announced :)

@Sogroon: A move to Archaeology would be fine with me

I wonder if the two 'prehistoric parks' would get any +%Production Speed or something with Fossils :lol:

Yeah yeah, I know that resource isn't getting in - but it was a thought that crossed my mind earlier after those wonders were announced :)

They should, although fossils aren't so meaningful to rewrite all the mapscripts.
Maybe fossils could be added by using only events and/or the "chance to find some resources" mechanic. This second is always ON after all.

They should, although fossils aren't so meaningful to rewrite all the mapscripts.
Maybe fossils could be added by using only events and/or the "chance to find some resources" mechanic. This second is always ON after all.

I don't know how modmod's work or how to make 'em, otherwise I'd just do it myself and for those [very few] who think it'd be worth adding in. From the thread we had, I was pretty much the only one expressing any sort of interest in its inclusion.

Honestly, only reason I ever suggested it was my fascination with paleontology as well as "just because it sounds cool" - which could be said for my interest in the gemstones, platinum, electrum, and other such 'resources' in other mods as well. To be fully honest, other than the possibility of these two wonders benefiting from it in some way, I don't see much practical use for a Fossil either. Would probably end up being more trouble than it's worth putting them in.

I don't know how modmod's work or how to make 'em, otherwise I'd just do it myself and for those [very few] who think it'd be worth adding in. From the thread we had, I was pretty much the only one expressing any sort of interest in its inclusion.

Honestly, only reason I ever suggested it was my fascination with paleontology as well as "just because it sounds cool" - which could be said for my interest in the gemstones, platinum, electrum, and other such 'resources' in other mods as well. To be fully honest, other than the possibility of these two wonders benefiting from it in some way, I don't see much practical use for a Fossil either. Would probably end up being more trouble than it's worth putting them in.

Maybe I will make an other little addon inspired by you.
Sometime...
:)

Just an idea on camp improvement based on the fact that "animal" resources cannot be discovered like wheat/corn/etc on farms and apple/lemon/etc on jungle camp.

How about making it build-able without the Deer/Elephant/Fur resources, and give it the chance of discovering Deer/Elephant/Fur/Horse/Sheep/Cow/Pig.

Camp doesn't give too much bonus (after leaving Tribal civic) it could be a good alternative for "polar" cities having no option to build Farms.

Just an idea...

I had an idea, I'm not sure if it's good or not, but I want to post it and get it out of existing only in my head.

The idea is to have a late-Transhuman manufactured metal resource. Supersteel is my working name, somewhat inspired by the silksteel name from Alpha Centauri. It would be a requirement for the most powerful military units: Assault Mech, Dreadnought Armor, and some of the Fusion ships. This would be produced by a Supersteel Mill available at Superstrong Alloys. What I was noticing is that the Modern and Transhuman Eras don't have nearly as many buildings as you would expect for their count of technologies and this would balance things a little. Also, some of the late ships don't have ANY resource requirements. This seems a bit jarring.

Is this worth introducing at this point?

Hmmm.. many late warmachines use nanotubes "or resource" to aluminum. Maybe they should be buildable only with nanotubes?

I feel we have enough manufactured resources as it is.
Aren't Nanotubes and other later eras resources enough as prereqs?

I had an idea, I'm not sure if it's good or not, but I want to post it and get it out of existing only in my head.

The idea is to have a late-Transhuman manufactured metal resource. Supersteel is my working name, somewhat inspired by the silksteel name from Alpha Centauri. It would be a requirement for the most powerful military units: Assault Mech, Dreadnought Armor, and some of the Fusion ships. This would be produced by a Supersteel Mill available at Superstrong Alloys. What I was noticing is that the Modern and Transhuman Eras don't have nearly as many buildings as you would expect for their count of technologies and this would balance things a little. Also, some of the late ships don't have ANY resource requirements. This seems a bit jarring.

Is this worth introducing at this point?

I am neutral on the idea, but supersteel sounds awful for me :ack:
I would suggest Adamantium (or something like that).

Something from Master of Orion maybe :)

...and Marvel.
But its roots come from Greek Mythology. See Wiki for Adamant / Adamantine.
So I think that's a good name.

I was thinking about the resource and I think it only makes sense if it's not only a "you need to build one more building before you can train those units". So it should be hard to build in means of requirements. I'd use these requirements:
Iron AND Bauxit AND Lead AND Uranium AND Copper. I know that's a lot, but intentionally :)

...I was thinking about the resource and I think it only makes sense if it's not only a "you need to build one more building before you can train those units". So it should be hard to build in means of requirements. I'd use these requirements:
Iron AND Bauxit AND Lead AND Uranium AND Copper. I know that's a lot, but intentionally :)

I like the principle, but would go further and suggest that the Silksteel Mill ;) needs some manufactured modern resource also, e.g. nanotubes or something, rather than only natural resources.

Top Bottom