Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my game Russia and Germany were OCC and Portugal and Vikings were the superpowers.

I just had a game where Russia, Austria, and Germany were wiped out (along with Byzantines and a few others) by a powerful Dutch army... its so weird.

Meanwhile Japan is preparing to invade China and Korea

It's cool that anything can happen. Every game is different, even though it's always the same civs on the same map.

Jaguar said:
It's cool that anything can happen. Every game is different, even though it's always the same civs on the same map.

That's what makes this scenario great.

Rhye, did you ever get an animation for the Shifta? Because I'm trying to get into unit making, and may be able to make it, just not to a great standard :)

I've got some problems with golden ages.
If I uncheck religious flags in all the wonders, then non-rel civs will not obtain a GA ever.
If check all (and I'd be forced to give the religious flag even to wonders that absolutely don't mean anything religious), the religious civs will gain a GA with only one wonder.

I think that the best solution is changing the rule: I check ONLY religion-specific wonders, and then edit the pedia entry: a civ must complete both traits + build a wonder belonging to its religion. Only religious civs benefit of the fact that they need only 1 more wonder.

After all, the chanches of GA have raised since the 2nd UU. A more difficult path to obtain it through wonders could be good.

Sounds like a good solution to the wonder problem, Rhye.

In addition to this, the mechanism of trigger is hidden.
Some religious wonders have "religious" flag only.
While some other like The Pyramids have religious flag + the rest of the flags corresponding to Egypt. In this way it will have an early golden age.

To Rhye and everyone else who contributed their efforts, time and ideas let me please give you a big THANKYOU!

I downloaded this yesterday, after making some minor mods to my own personal biq file in the quest for an improved game experience. (which is no complaint about c3/ptw/c at all, i'm still playing it after all these years).

My experience has been so fun and absorbing that I just had to sign up to the forums to send this message.

It's not much, but it's from the heart. thanks team! you ROC

EW

[edit: ps - if we're talking about changing civs, i'd love to have the sumerians back! :D ]

Rhye ? When we will have the last beta ?

Thank you Enkidu.

The beta will be probably uploaded tomorrow.

If I don't get chosen by Firaxis and instead they choose somebody else less deserving that place, I will retire from civ modding shorty (earlier than I had planned).

Arghh ! No, don't retire yourself :(

Or, please, name a follower who will continue your estimated mod ;)

And i would like a random map before you quit ...

As a native English speaker, I think "The" should come before anything that is unique. If there is more than one (which I don't think will ever be the case of great wonders) then you don't use "the," but the article "a" or "an," depending on how the subject "sounds." For instance, we say "The New York Stock Exchange" because there is only one. But, since there are other stock exchanges, one would probably say "Rome built a stock exchange," not "Rome built the stock exchange." However, if you were referring to a unique stock exchange in Italy, say, then you may say "Rome built The Venetian (?) Stock Exchange."

Thus I think all of the great wonders (as long as there is only one of them) should probably have a "The" in as the article. If you post the entire list, I'd be happy to comment.

Here is a good example. Your list contains three temples.
Temple of the Sun
Temple of Kukulcan
Temple of Baal
Now, when a civ builds a temple, it is certainly appropriate to say "France built a temple." But, if France builds a specific temple, it is appropriate to say "France built The Temple of the Sun," since I assume there is only 1 Temple of the Sun. Hope that helps.

Rhye said:
Anything else? You tried the expansion for the first time and I'm sure civ balance isn't the only thing you have to say
Sure, it was strange to have spearmen as attackers but I got used to it. The religion thing is great IMO. Everything is great! Can't wait to get it with all graphics.

Tech tree is better than in normal C3C. (Could be because standard tech tree is so "overused" already :))

New units/stats, my elite Samurai has held the passage between India and China for long now. India has attacked maybe 20 times with War Elephants and they can only do about 2 damage at the time. Well, not too unlikely considering it's on hill with walls +2 trebuchets.
I like the new ship movement. It's much more realistic than regular civ3 movements.

Hmmm... I'll write some more tomorrow when I have some more time (hopefully)

Rhye said:
If I don't get chosen by Firaxis and instead they choose somebody else less deserving that place, I will retire from civ modding shorty (earlier than I had planned).
But I hope you don't retire early if they only reject you because of location... After all, they may need the best scenario creator in North America, and not in the world.

dafiden said:
As a native English speaker, I think "The" should come before anything that is unique. If there is more than one (which I don't think will ever be the case of great wonders) then you don't use "the," but the article "a" or "an," depending on how the subject "sounds." For instance, we say "The New York Stock Exchange" because there is only one. But, since there are other stock exchanges, one would probably say "Rome built a stock exchange," not "Rome built the stock exchange." However, if you were referring to a unique stock exchange in Italy, say, then you may say "Rome built The Venetian (?) Stock Exchange."

Thus I think all of the great wonders (as long as there is only one of them) should probably have a "The" in as the article. If you post the entire list, I'd be happy to comment.

Here is a good example. Your list contains three temples.
Temple of the Sun
Temple of Kukulcan
Temple of Baal
Now, when a civ builds a temple, it is certainly appropriate to say "France built a temple." But, if France builds a specific temple, it is appropriate to say "France built The Temple of the Sun," since I assume there is only 1 Temple of the Sun. Hope that helps.
I'm also a native (American) English speaker, and it's not always so. You see, we can't choose the use of the wonder's name in the sentance. It just says "The Roman city of Venice has completed <wondername>" (This sentance can be changed but still the name goes in as one chunk while the rest is static.) So you gotta choose the configuration that stands alone correctly and works right in that sentance. For Temple Mount it's just Temple Mount, no "The". "The Hebrew city of Jerusalem has completed Temple Mount", not "...completed the Temple Mount." I'm sure there are other wonders like this though I can't think which at the moment. (Perhaps generally the ones with a unique name, like Asa Temple, don't need the "the" since they are a name. It's like you don't say "I went to the Sam's house" in a way. =P)

Aeon221 said:
Yes Mongolia!

Rhye, is the leaning tower in there because you are Italian, or is there another reason? (PS: I am 1/2 Italian... but 3/2 American ;p)

... and why does it give a defensive bonus? I mean, its tipping over... not exactly a stable platform for battle haha

I'm a finance guy and .5 (1/2) and 1.5 (3/2) = 2 (people)? :confused:

Blasphemous said:
(Perhaps generally the ones with a unique name, like Asa Temple, don't need the "the" since they are a name. It's like you don't say "I went to the Sam's house" in a way. =P)

Bad example. "Sam's house" is not the same as "Asa Temple." Otherwise, it would be listed as Asa's Temple. Note the posessive noun.

And, your "unique name" theory isn't always true either. These are all unique names without posessives:
"I went to the Lincoln Memorial."
"I went to the Louvre."
"I went to the Sydney Opera House."

Also, I think most people would say "I went to the Temple Mount." Do a search online. Most English sites use "the" with "Temple Mount." In fact, go to www.templemount.org, and there is a big "The Temple Mount in Jerusalem" at the top.

Yes, "Sam's house" was really a bad example. But anyway, I live in Jerusalem and English is my native language and "The Temple Mount" simply sounds wrong to me. I don't know what's right and what's wrong, I know what sounds right to me.
I asked my mother, who's an American, a Jew, and a journalist, and she says it can go either way in this case and that generally if "The" is in the name of something (like The New York Times or The Hague) then it has to be there and it has to be capitalized as well. Not sure how exactly that helps us though. ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom