Rhye's of Civilization: the fastest loading mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there's no tibet civ :) The modification to your map were done in order to match the rules and to balance the game with the included civs.
Anyway, in the Tibetan Plateau there are no big cities. And I think villages shouldn't be represented in such a "small" Earth map. If you put hills there, rich cities will grow because of irrigation in the tiles around. The best would be adding a "plateau" terrain, very useful in other regions of the Earth, too. But it can't be done...

I couldn't take it any more. I've finally shelled out for an upgrade from a P2 333 to an Athlon XP 2400+ 512Mb 80Gb HD DVD etc etc since I must (not an option, MUST) be able to run Championship Manager 4 (minimum specs (!) P3 600 Mghz).

Americans probably won't undersand the fascination of a football management (that is soccer, i.e. real football) game that resembles a complicated database more than anything else.

This means that all those large and huge Civ 3 maps will suddenly become available to me at a reasonable speed (I hope).

Despite that I think I will still play at least some of the time on this map as the base map was good and the Ryse additions I quite like also.

So I won't be abandoning your good work just because I can.....

I don't get it. How does this decrease times by 96%?

Rhye-- great changes! Your mod has more than a few great tweaks toward a more "realistic" Civ 3. For one thing, I'm glad to see the Incas around. I'm still not sure why they were left out, while Korea was included. The Incas had the largest Pre-Columbian empire in the Americas and Korea had... China and Japan squabiling over who should colonize them. Then again, Korea does have a huge video game market...

I'm getting off topic. One thing I've been struggling with in my Colonization mod is how to represent the historical forces that lead to things like handfulls of Spanish Conquistadores bringing down entire empires. In terms of Civ 3, it's very hard to create similar situations without urealistically crippling some civs (by telling the AI to never build settlers, making North America more barren than it really is, etc.)

One book I highly recommend is Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's a really good look at what factors were actually different bewteen different civs, as opposed to lazy answers like genetics or superior culture. One thing that this, and many other books, bring up is the big difference between food gathering and food production, and the huge impact of better crops, livestock, and technology on food production. This is barely modeled in Civ 3 at all (at least in Civ 2 you had 2 levels of irrigation/farming). Since you are unable to add worker jobs (I don't know about PTW), you are limited.

So one idea I came up with is giving wheat and cattle tech requirements, and having plenty of them. This represents how there were many more varied and useful live stock and grains in Eurasian than elsewhere. In the Colonization mod, this means that Native American civs have to trade for or learn Plow Farming in order to get wheat, and Gunpowder to get Cattle. The Gunpowder one isn't particularly realistic but it stands in for something that all the Europeans had and the Natives did not.

Another thing it would be great to be able to model would be disease. Disease has had a huge impact on world history, and it's very rarely an issue at all in Civ. I'm still not sure what to do about that one. I've thought about making a smallpox unit, but in many cases disease was not a conscious offensive tactic by the Europeans (though sometimes it was) and I'd hate to have a bunch of germ units fortified in cities or something.

Anyway, some stuff for you to think about. Feel free to use any of my ideas, take a look at my Colonization mod, and if I use any of your tweaks I'll give you a shout out.

BTW, where did you get the Inca UU from? I did a little research, and I don't remember anything particular about spear throwers. I could be wrong. I'm using Mit'a, which were kind of general purpose conscripted peasants used to fight, build roads, etc.

Originally posted by abla
I couldn't take it any more. I've finally shelled out for an upgrade from a P2 333 to an Athlon XP 2400+ 512Mb 80Gb HD DVD etc etc since I must (not an option, MUST) be able to run Championship Manager 4 (minimum specs (!) P3 600 Mghz).

Americans probably won't undersand the fascination of a football management (that is soccer, i.e. real football) game that resembles a complicated database more than anything else.

First of all, I'm not American.
And so, I :love: anything about football. I have CM3 01/02, played it a lot. Now I'm waiting for the italian version of CM4 to be released

Originally posted by abla
This means that all those large and huge Civ 3 maps will suddenly become available to me at a reasonable speed (I hope).

Despite that I think I will still play at least some of the time on this map as the base map was good and the Ryse additions I quite like also.

So I won't be abandoning your good work just because I can..... [/B]

Doing an upgrade doesn't solve ALL problems.
As you can see from the benchmark in the first page of this thread, I've a P4 1.7 Ghz, with 512MB DDR. This is an excellent configuration (for now). But benchmarks say that in 256 maps I have to wait 6-7 minutes between turns. Probably you're used to wait such a long times, but I don't think anyway that 6 minutes is "a short time".
I'd like to know your loading times with your old computer,
-with my mod
-with other mods
after many turns of the game (I tried 170AD and 1400AD, because before about 100 turns the game is still playable. But of course a game CAN'T end in 100AD)

Originally posted by iamjason
I'm still not sure why they were left out, while Korea was included.

Marketing....

Originally posted by iamjason
Anyway, some stuff for you to think about. Feel free to use any of my ideas, take a look at my Colonization mod, and if I use any of your tweaks I'll give you a shout out. [/B]

I've downloaded it. First of all, I think you should:
-Release a PTW version.
-Include unit and leaderhead graphics in the modpack
-Improve you installation (in the zip the files are in \program files\infogra.......etc.: not everybody have civ3 installed in that dir)

But rules changes look interesting. I have to look them more in depth. If I have some suggestions I'll tell you.

Originally posted by iamjason BTW, where did you get the Inca UU from? I did a little research, and I don't remember anything particular about spear throwers. I could be wrong. I'm using Mit'a, which were kind of general purpose conscripted peasants used to fight, build roads, etc. [/B]

I did some research and found that Incas used mostly slingsmen, but there's no unit graphics available for this. So I found that their army included Moche speat throwers, too. And jimmyh's Skirmisher was excellent for this.

I've downloaded it. First of all, I think you should:
-Release a PTW version.
-Include unit and leaderhead graphics in the modpack
-Improve you installation (in the zip the files are in \program files\infogra.......etc.: not everybody have civ3 installed in that dir)

But rules changes look interesting. I have to look them more in depth. If I have some suggestions I'll tell you.

I really do have to get my hands on PTW. I think I saw somewhere that Amazon had it for $10, so I guess I have no excuses left. As for leader heads and units, I was really trying to trim down the download. Maybe I should make a big phatty version for those with highspeed internet? I have seen a lot of really good units on the boards here and Apolyton.

Hey, what do you think about mods that use custom player data (to start civs with more than 4 techs, etc.)? I know users can open the file in the editor and switch players around, but do you think it's too limiting on games that are meant to be playable from all sides?

After looking over your rule changes, I'm definitely going to up the time it takes for worker jobs. I wish there was more flexibility with those as well. In the Americas and elsewhere it would make much more sense to have trails (allow trade) --> roads (1/2 movement) --> railroads (free movement + bonuses) --> highways (free movement +trade bonuses) and some way to reflect the change from hunting and gathering to sedentary farming/hand planting to irrigation to plow farming/broadcast plating to mechanized farming. Each one has created a considerable increase in population and fueled other developments. Heck, you might even add genetically engineered crops in near the end, and then other civs can use engineered locusts to wipe them out.

Custom player data can be useful. But if you want the scenario to be user-friendly, you should create many .sav, one for each side. I did something similiar in my Risk! mod http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48512

About workers, I'd suggest working around governments. You should alter the tech tree, worker rate in the govs tab and the favourite government. In this way you can force some civs to have slower workers

I wasn't thinking you were American - the 'Livorno, Italia' gives it away a bit.....!

I have now tried el mencey's 300+ x 300+ Earth map and my new PC (Athlon 2400+) runs that about the same speed as my old one ran yours - though I have only got to 1200AD odd.

I am going to have to figure out the editor though, after playing you mod it is annoying to see the Carthaginians (et al) furiously irrigating the Sahara again.

Great work Rhye. I've been only playing this mod for the past couple of weeks now, it's got excellent playability. I've come to a problem though that if I engage in diplomacy with the Incas, or if they do with me and I choose anything but to turn them away right away, the game freezes. This started happening in the industrial age...didn't come into contact with them before that. I've had to just cut them out now when I play in order to avoid that. I don't know if this is a problem on my end or with the Incas leaderheads or what not maybe? I'm not sure, just thought I should let you know in case it was.

DAMN! I don't normally curse, but that was fast! I didn't even have to stop for a snack while waiting for it to load! Awesome Rhye, love the Incas man!

I've played as the Incas before and it was fine, but I never made it to the Industrial age though. Also I have version 1.29. I was using the static leaderhead before, but now I downloaded the animated leaderhead since then and everything's working fine with it, so I don't know if it was that or just my own computer before, but it's all good now. I also don't have the same game, if you want me to try and recreate it I'll do that if you're concerned at all. Thanks.

Well I want to start off by saying that this is, without a doubt, my favorite MOD of all. It's one of the only MOD's that I still use and it's rare for me to play anything other than your MOD. That being said I had a few requests.

Can you please add starting points for the PTW civ's? I really want to see what impact the Carthagians, Koreans and especially Mongols have on the games I've been playing with your MOD. I now the map wasn't originally designed for those civ's but I really think it will help with replayability(even though replayability is already great).

I also wanted to ask you to increase the number of base civ's that can be in a game. I know things are already tight but I especially like playing in tight maps with many civ's. It makes for some awesome border disputes. I've really wanted to try adding the Koreans, Mongols and Carthagians to the existing games (now that I think about it maybe Arabs too) as I think they would make regional conflicts much cooler.

I know this will take alot of work but as one of your biggest fans I would love to see it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom