Run away AIs

I generally play continents. It seems that whenever I take the lead on my continent and finally start meeting far away civs, the last (or next to last) AI I meet in several hundred points ahead, and in first place in science - like clockwork. I never meet the top dog until later in the game. Is there some game mechanic that does this?

Decisions on empire development all come with pros and cons. If you prioritize a centralized powerbase with little concern for exploration investiture you'll net regional authority but forsake early political, commercial and military affect on those outside your sphere.

I try to explore, but until you can go out onto ocean squares - no way you are going to get to other continents on almost all maps. Until you hit caravels, you are stuck on your continent (unlike earlier CIV versions, where you could scoot along the pole, and then drop down when you hit another continent).

Yes, well, if you prioritize navigation, you'll indelibly reduce that "lead on your continent", but you'll be able to snipe a runaway's coastal cities with 6 frigates and 2 privateers, especially juicy if said runaway has really angered his own neighbors, who love you for fighting the common enemy and sign research agreements with you and trade you luxuries. :)

I guess my question is why so often it seems the top AI is not on your continent - almost like you are lured into believing you are doing well, and then - boom.

Your progress on your continent is the main reason why the top AI is not on your continent. The human player is generally much smarter than the AI, and so on your continent it's likely that you'll take the best spots for cities, and you'll create deals that benefit yourself more than benefiting the AI player, or you could even play aggressively and halt the AIs progress that way.

On the other continent, the AI doesn't have to deal with a human player, so if you get someone like the Iroquis, Shoshone, Zulus, Poland, etc, basically any civ with high AI values then they'll be able to steam ahead unopposed.

All things being equal (which they're not, but...) the difference between whether or not an AI can "runaway" can be as small as human player's friendship with "potential runaway's opponent", which can dent the larger political "risk vs reward" concept, or a cargo ship trade route which eked the necessary gold for a strategically bought wall, castle or unit.

Without a doubt, "human's" influence makes a mark, at least until AI has determined said influence becomes of varying, lesser degrees of consequence, but at least in the meantime there's little to no "snowball".

I play G&K and I play England a lot. Always find the same. I've learned that the most reliable method is to get to Astronomy early so that I can find out who's out there that I haven't met. My first naval war is always against the inevitable runaway (Darius/Alex/Hiawatha typically) to slow/stop them. I don't worry unduly about 'owning' my continent until I am the runaway - but I am a bit of a warmonger!

It's not an iron rule, but yes - it's really disappointing being the lead of your continent, discovering the other side, and finding that nope - it's hopeless, 150 turns wasted.

Well, if you find someone doing better than you, the answer is simple: stop em'! if they've been warring a fair bit, chances are that they are a bit behind in techs due to the amount of cities they have, and some people may hate em, making them a bit easier to dogpile. If they've been peacefully building a silence lead, ruin their illusion of peace with a nice big stinking navy (and army of course).

Well, if you find someone doing better than you, the answer is simple: stop em'! if they've been warring a fair bit, chances are that they are a bit behind in techs due to the amount of cities they have, and some people may hate em, making them a bit easier to dogpile. If they've been peacefully building a silence lead, ruin their illusion of peace with a nice big stinking navy (and army of course).

The caveat to this being that if they have a science lead their military might be nicer than yours. I have a couple ways of dealing with this.

1) Build lots of units, time attack at a key upgrade, e.g. Battleships. (timing attack)
2) Build navy including submarines, declare war, wait. Move out after a half-dozen turns, and torpedo everything they hold dear. Then launch your counterattack.

May your violent path to a lead be fun and exciting: there's nothing quite as fun to me as grinding down a runaway AI and taking ALL THE WONDERS.

I generally play continents.

The problem you describe is in part why so many folks play pangaea. I agree with you that continents are more fun! I think what you describe happens at all levels of gameplay, but what level are you playing at? And if you drop down the difficulty, does the phenomenon disappear (and make things too easy)? (I ask because the real issue might just be improved play on your part. That’s where I am stuck anyway.)

The caveat to this being that if they have a science lead their military might be nicer than yours. I have a couple ways of dealing with this.
  1. Build lots of units, time attack at a key upgrade, e.g. Battleships. (timing attack)
  2. Build navy including submarines, declare war, wait. Move out after a half-dozen turns, and torpedo everything they hold dear. Then launch your counterattack.
May your violent path to a lead be fun and exciting: there's nothing quite as fun to me as grinding down a runaway AI and taking ALL THE WONDERS.

This is the some of the best fun the game offers! I just wish my success ratio was better than 50/50...

I generally play continents. It seems that whenever I take the lead on my continent and finally start meeting far away civs, the last (or next to last) AI I meet in several hundred points ahead, and in first place in science - like clockwork. I never meet the top dog until later in the game. Is there some game mechanic that does this?

That depends on the difficulty you play in. What difficulty do you use? The higher the difficulty, the better AI is.

Right now I play on difficulty 5 (the first one with AI advantages). Just started a few months ago playing (when I can get time from my son on the computer).

Right now I play on difficulty 5 (the first one with AI advantages). Just started a few months ago playing (when I can get time from my son on the computer).

They SAY that's the first one with advantages, but that's actually a lie. The first one with advantages is 2.

I play G&K and I play England a lot. Always find the same. I've learned that the most reliable method is to get to Astronomy early so that I can find out who's out there that I haven't met. My first naval war is always against the inevitable runaway (Darius/Alex/Hiawatha typically) to slow/stop them. I don't worry unduly about 'owning' my continent until I am the runaway - but I am a bit of a warmonger!

Broke my golden rule in current game because as I had a totally isolated start I had to absolutely beeline Astronomy and had a few cash problems as a result...so I conquered Arabia first (problems solved, they're always good for a few bucks) and then went up against the might of Rome, the invincible runaway.
Works every time - God, how I love SOTL!

Top Bottom