Runtime error when I try to open a save game from my Win7 PC on my Win8 Laptop.

Varelse

Rabble Rouser
Is this a known issue? I tried opening it from the cloud and also by manually copypasting the file into my savegame folder, and I still get the error. Are games that are saved on a Win7 machine simply incompatible with Win8 machines?

Technically no. There have been issues with cloud saves, and now it looks like there may be issues with saved games themselves. There is a new thread on saved games showing a massive amount of file allocation space and if the saved games are that size on the cloud, it could cause a runtime error. Trying to get a file to open up via the cloud that is 250 Gigs, may be slightly taxing, even on the largest internet bandwidth.

Well it doesn't seem to be a file size issue.....the file in question is 1334kb and I have files much larger than that which open up just fine but they were saved on the Win8 computer. I was hoping I could play this game on either computer depending on what was more convenient at the time but I guess you can't do that if they are running different operating systems.

The OS has nothing to do with it.

As long as you log off steam correctly the cloud will save your game. It does not matter on what computer or OS you are using. When you log back onto steam on another computer you can access your cloud save just fine.

You do have to save it as a cloud save though. You can also move the file to a thumb drive and transfer it from your save directory on one computer to the save directory on the other one.

There have been issues with the cloud saves recently and people had to delete the files that were saved in the cloud and start over with new saves in the cloud. There is a limit to the amount of files saved in the cloud also.

I did try saving the file to a thumb drive and transferring it to the other computer manually, but I got the same error. I'm not sure if I logged off of steam properly....I guess it just auto logged off when I logged off of Windows, but that shouldn't effect anything if I'm using the thumb drive, I wouldn't think.

Just to make this clearer: The save file format doesn't make a difference for win7 or win8.
It is however very likely that CiV doesn't run well on 8 or 8.1 (yet). Do other maps/saves run on the 8 machine?

Just to make this clearer: The save file format doesn't make a difference for win7 or win8.
It is however very likely that CiV doesn't run well on 8 or 8.1 (yet). Do other maps/saves run on the 8 machine?

Yes. Games that I start on my Win8 machine run fine on it. When I get a chance maybe I'll try to start a game from my Win8 machine on my Win7 machine and see if it works.

So today, Steam and Civ5 updated on both of my computers and now the Win7 save files work just fine on the Win8 machine. Not quite sure what happened or why, but I certainly can't complain!

Ahh but now I can play the game on my Win8 laptop but I can't play it on my Win7 PC. If I try to play it on the PC I get a rendering error after 3 or 4 turns.

Top Bottom