Sail around the World Bonus

bcaiko

Emperor
As I recall, you receive a bonus for being the first to circumnavigate the globe, but what is it? And when/how do you know if you've received the bonus? My friend was playing as the English last night and I told him to circle the globe first to get the bonus, but he never received a notification that it'd been done, despite his ships going around the world twice.

What gives?

I've seen notifications that 'so and so' has proven the world is round (or something to that effect), and have done it myself a few times, but never noticed any bonus associated with it.
I remember in Civ4 you got +1 naval movement.
I think a scientific bonus would be more appropriate than a move bonus

In Civ 5 there is no game bonus. You are supposed to get the Magellan achievement, however it was bugged upon release, and someone put out a workaround for it a while back. I'm not sure if this bug has been fixed yet; I would assume it probably has been.

Boo. :shake:

EDIT: Actually the new Natural Wonders replace +1 Movement in giving an exploration bonus. As well as the potential to get greeting gold from far-off CSs.

I once actually First Met a CS with a Frigate.

What was Harum doing all that time? He coulda sent a Trireme ages ago! :clap:

The (old civ4?) code works.
You only have to change 0 into 1 in the globaldefines.xml to get +1 movement.

In Civ 5 there is no game bonus. You are supposed to get the Magellan achievement, however it was bugged upon release, and someone put out a workaround for it a while back. I'm not sure if this bug has been fixed yet; I would assume it probably has been.

It was fixed.

Unlocked: Mar 8, 2011 3:58pm
Magellan
Prove that the world is round by uncovering a connected loop of tiles around the circumference of the world.

In globaldefine.xml for the version you are playing (expansion), search for "circum" no quotes replace the value 0 with 1.

Two different things.
The notification for being first in the world is triggered by exploring at least one tile in every row even if you end up at a very different latitude.
By default, there is no bonus for doing this, but it can be turned back on via moding the XML. (XML started as Civ IV's with them changing the bonus from 1 to 0)

The achievement actually requires a contiguous path of explored territory; if when you get to the end it doesn't connect, you need to explore territory north/south to complete the path. to trigger. Achievements won't impact the game; and in fact once you've already achieved this, you won't get prompted again about it.

:lol: How funny to see a resurrected thread that I started!

I wonder why they took out the bonus for proving the world is round? I certainly wouldn't mind it being back in, since that encourages exploration.

:lol: How funny to see a resurrected thread that I started!

I wonder why they took out the bonus for proving the world is round? I certainly wouldn't mind it being back in, since that encourages exploration.

I wouldn't mind a bonus, but there are already enough ways to gain +1 movementfor ships. So if a bonus would be reintroduced please something distinct then.

They should award the player who first circumnavigates the globe with an extra trade route.

Or instead of 1 extra route, modify all existing routes to have a greater range. This would be a semi-accurate representation of the boon the Europeans were seeking since range of a route in this game is representative of time constraints involving naval travel.

Or instead of 1 extra route, modify all existing routes to have a greater range. This would be a semi-accurate representation of the boon the Europeans were seeking since range of a route in this game is representative of time constraints involving naval travel.

The problem with that is that it isn't that much of a reward. Literally one tech before you get Caravels (The first naval unit (Not counting Polynesia) that can travel across oceans) you get the Compass tech. With that, not only do all of your sea trade routes get an extended range, but you also get to build Harbours, which further extend that range. With both of those, you can already send your trade routes to, just about, any city on the map. Another little increase isn't going to help.

I support the extra trade route idea.

They should award the player who first circumnavigates the globe with an extra trade route.
I like this one. It seems appropriate because in circumnavigating the globe, the traveler will undoubtedly discover one or more distant markets that have much to offer. And as was mentioned, there's already enough Move +1s available.

Getting an extra trade route from be the first to prove that the Earth is round seems like a pretty good bonus, and not really overpowered. It would make help make the Navigation School social policy in Exploration more worthwhile, since grabbing an early Admiral could help you explore deep ocean tiles before researching Astronomy.

I'm good with either of these, or both even. I enjoyed the circumnavigation bonus in Civ4, and I'm sorry to see it go in Civ5.

Top Bottom