SCENARIO: The Napoleonic Wars

A few map screenshots. If anyone has comments/recommendations, please don't hesitate. :)

The hotbed of conflict for the scenario, Germany:

Attachments

• germany.jpg
    germany.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 193
Originally posted by Trip
Mostly, I want the line infantry uniforms for the countries I listed in my first post. Beyond that, the uniforms can be transferred over to artillery/cavalry/etc. will a fair amount of ease.

That would be the worst way to do it, as for most of the countries, artillery, cavalry and infantry uniforms where very different!

They're more similar to each other than they were to other countries. ;) After all, I don't really have the ability to produce a variant for every possible kind of formation that existed. I'm mainly interested in the infantry because that's what most countries associated with most often, i.e. most people rememeber the British troops of the time as redcoats... they don't remember the different kinds for cavalry, artillery, etc., but just the line infantry. If I could get an exact replica of every single unit in the game, that would be great, but I only have so many people working on it, and so much time. ;) I hope you understand my dilemma. :p

I do. I was not thinking of making one unit for every formation (France alone had 6 main line cavalry) but select one representative cavalry and infantry. For artillery, if you do only the gun without the crew, simply changing the colors to the country standard one could be enough. But if you add crew, then using line infantry uniform may seem very strange to the "purist".

I will try to scan some units tomorrow.

By the way, would you need various picture, like 1805 uniform and 1812 uniforms, in order to propose upgrades?

I plan to scan not always the most common uniform for the purpose of your mod, but representative uniform.

Thanks for helping out. :)

Go ahead and scan line infantry and cavalry for each nation, and if there's time and resources available to make them all unique, then I'll do so. :) The two uniform types I wanted was 1792 and 1805, since those are the main two stages of the game (two seperate unit sets... 1805 is basically when units 'upgrade').

Also, if the book has the colors of each army (Prussian X thingy, same with Russians, French inverted diamond-looking thingy, Austrian hawk/eagle thing, etc.) then scanning those in would be very useful as well. :)

[Edit]Needless to say, the most important uniforms I need are the 7 major powers of the time (Prussia, Russia, France, Austria, Britain, Spain and the Ottoman Empire). Most important ones are probably Ottomans (it's very hard to find images of those guys online...), Spanish and Austrians, simply because you can find French and British pretty easily, and the other ones aren't as rare (but still a chore to find).[/Edit]

Here are some French late line infantry.
Look at the number on the picture :
6 - Grey coat : Voltigeur (light infantry, but still in Line regiment), 1809
7- Fusillier (standard infantry) 1807
2 and 3 : Voltigeur, elite company, 1808
4 : Fusilier 1809
5 : Grenadier 1809
1 Genadier, elite company 1808

I would use city names instead of country names, why not change saxony to leipzig or dresden?

Some comment on the units you plan to have :

The armies at the time didn't evolved that much. Between 1795 and 1815, the way to fight changed, but not really the weapons, or the uniform.

Finding different looking unit for early / late napoleonic wars will be easy for infantry, at least for most of the countries. It will be harder for cavalry (for instance, for France only the carabiniers had an important change in the uniform).

Some other units will be hard to do, like Imperial Guard 1795 or Polish musketer 1795, as they didn't exist at that time.

Personnally, I think the units should be done another way.

There should be :

Infantry :
light infantry, line infantry , guard / grenadier

Cavalry :
Cuirassier , Dragoon, Hussars, or equivalent (heavy, medium, light cavalry).
Cuirassier : high attack, 2 MP
Dragoon : range attack, 2 MP
Hussar : poor attack defense, but 3 MP and ZOC (harassing tactics).

Thanks for the uniforms. :)

Originally posted by Steph
Some comment on the units you plan to have :

The armies at the time didn't evolved that much. Between 1795 and 1815, the way to fight changed, but not really the weapons, or the uniform.
I didn't really plan on changing the look of the units, the difference is mainly used to reflect the changing tactics, along with giving the scenario a bit of 'umph', rather than using the same exact units for 1000 turns. :)

Finding different looking unit for early / late napoleonic wars will be easy for infantry, at least for most of the countries. It will be harder for cavalry (for instance, for France only the carabiniers had an important change in the uniform).
As I said, I didn't really plan on making the different units have different uniforms, just slightly different stats.

Some other units will be hard to do, like Imperial Guard 1795 or Polish musketer 1795, as they didn't exist at that time.
We can fudge a bit there. ;) I'm still not done with the unit list, so the 1792 Imperial Guard may disappear before too long, or it may not... I'll have to see.

Personnally, I think the units should be done another way.

There should be :

Infantry :
light infantry, line infantry , guard / grenadier

Cavalry :
Cuirassier , Dragoon, Hussars, or equivalent (heavy, medium, light cavalry).
Cuirassier : high attack, 2 MP
Dragoon : range attack, 2 MP
Hussar : poor attack defense, but 3 MP and ZOC (harassing tactics).
Good suggestions. The unit list isn't the do-all end-all as it is right now. I just have to make each unit useful. When you say 'range attack' for Dragoon what do you mean? Do you mean giving it bombardment (which makes things pretty tricky)?

For Dragoon range attack, the minimum would be a range attack animation, like the current cavalry.
For Cuirassier, simply sword fight.

If you have to many animator :eek: you could even make AttackA with a shooting dragoon, and AttackB with a sword fighting Dragoon. This would be really cool, as Dragoon where train to fight on horse (with the sword), AND on foot (with musket)

Ohhhhh, I thought you meant a physical ranged attack, within the game, not just an animation. ;) And yes, you're right, they fought with both sabres and ranged weapons, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to get both animated, if possible. ;) I thought that Dragoons fought on horseback with carbines though, not dismounted with muskets (like 'traditional' cavalry)?

The main problem with adding so many mounted units is that it may be slightly difficult to find uses for all of them, and make them all perfectly balanced so they all have uses.

Top Bottom