Several newbie questions

Afganitia

Chieftain
Hello, I am new in Civ. I have Civ 5, btw.
I am doing my first game. I randomized a huge map with 12 players, just to practise a bit. I randomly got poland.
So, I have varios questions, so if you can answer some it would be greatly appreciated.

There are some buildings that have to be build just when you get them or some that are not recommended?
Funding cities is reccomended? When? What benefits it gives you?
When to annex, puppet? Which is better in which situation?
Spies? Got robbed a lot. If you say a nayion don't spy me.more, he would sill do it?
Diplomacy with ai players. What to do and waht is useless?
War strategy? Tips on ordering troops? Strong troops? Best time to conquer cities?
Great pg? What is the use in great general? How I should not use great pg?
Should I prioritize production or food at the start? Science later or production ?
Natural resources, which are needed?

Welcome to CivFanatics! Sounds like you need an all-around guide to getting your game going well. Take a look at this War Academy article: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523892.

Also, please let us know whether you have just the base game (often called "vanilla"), or if you also have one or both of the expansions -- Gods & Kings and Brave New World. Both expansions make significant changes to the base game. (The article linked above assumes you are playing the two expansions.)

Lots of questions there. First you'll benefit from reading some articles in The War Academy. it's the sub-forum on top of this Strategy section. Some articles are old, but it's still useful. Just look for articles relating to your version. Now assuming you got the "whole pack" on sale and you have both expansions (so you are aplaying CiV5 "Brave New World")
EDIT : Ninja'd by Browd

There are some buildings that have to be build just when you get them or some that are not recommended?
Everything giving you :c5science: or :c5food: should be built ASAP (this includes Aqueducts if not playing tradition) :c5culture: is good too, at least some early buildings. Others depend on situation. If you have lots of sheep/horses stables will quickly pay off and speed further production. :c5happy: buildings are important if you are low on hapiness (or already unhappy). Don't get used to spamming wonders even if you are playing low difficulty. On higher diff you won't get them and just loose the :c5production: invested (you get a small :c5gold: refund but not worth it)
Funding cities is reccomended? When? What benefits it gives you?
Guess you mean "founding" as you can't really "fund" a city in CiV (give them gold to help them grow). Of course it is, and the sooner the better. It's the base of the game. You'll have to reach an equilibrium between happiness and number of cities. Most players find it easiest to play Tradition and stop at 4 cities but playing Liberty and going wider is valid too (see this guide)
When to annex, puppet? Which is better in which situation?
My rule of thumb : raze crappy cities (small, bad position, no useful resources), puppet the rest as long as they are in resistance. Annex good cities (ex-capitals, well developed cities with high culture) and buy a courthouse. Keep the rest as puppets. Of course the higher the difficulty, the better the AI cities will be when you take them.
Spies? Got robbed a lot. If you say a nayion don't spy me.more, he would sill do it?
I don't bother asking. It will just annoy them. Put a spy in counter-intell in your cap and kill whatever spies you can.
Diplomacy with ai players. What to do and waht is useless?
Really depends on situation. Sometimes i don't bother at all. There should be guides somewhere with + and - modifiers but i don't know where exactly.
EDIT : Just found this article linked in another thread
War strategy? Tips on ordering troops? Strong troops? Best time to conquer cities?
Ranged (bows and then artillery) and mobile (cavalry-tanks) are the best troops to conquer. Melee/Guns make good fortified defenders or meat-shield. Early siege are hard to use effectively and not really needed. Naval units are very strong on water maps.
Best time is when you get an edge over AI in troops. This can happen as soon as Composite Bowmen if you prioritize them. Most players start conquests at CrossBows (you'll see them referred to as XB) or Artillery.
Great pg? What is the use in great general? How I should not use great pg?
Great Generals improve your armies so if going for conquest you want one with you. Every unit within 2 tiles will be 15% stronger. If you have too many, you can use them to plant citadels either to defend your land, to claim some resources, or to attack with the benefit of you own land.
Great Scientist will help your research immensely. Plant 1 or 2 academies and keep the rest to "bulb" techs later. Obviously you'll need to know what to research for this to work so for now you can just plant all of them but later you'll be faster if you bulb important techs (they differ for different strategies)
Should I prioritize production or food at the start? Science later or production ?
Food, but keep some production. Science is everything in CiV so unless you are pushing for victory and already have all your key techs researched, keep your universities and labs fully staffed.
Natural resources, which are needed?
All of them :D
Bonus resources give you better tiles (more :c5food: or :c5food: and :c5production:)
Strategics are used by some powerful units and some buildings
Luxuries give you :c5happy:, allowing for more cities that give you everything else.

Moderator Action: Moved to General Discussions

Top Bottom