Shiggs Earth

YES! Finally! I've been waiting for a mod that balances the Earths resources since the launch :) Just a question, are these resources placed based on real world locations, or is it just your own strategic placement?

sorry missed this somehow. I tried to vaguely base it on real world locations. Silk is only in east Asia, there is no horse in the western hemisphere, furs deer, gold, and silver dominate the northern regions, Arabia is littered with oil ect. Many of the early strategic resources are close to the starting locations but not in the initial capitals range, but could be had with 1 or 2 tile growths, there are exceptions. Japan doesn't have horse for example, but they have 6 iron right next to their capitol. They could get horse fairly quickly if they tried though.

Just wondered if you've fixed the problem of Great Britain being connected to mainland Europe??

Yes England does not connect to mainland Europe.. Now that Edinburgh and Dublin are not in the way, London usually expands more northeast as well. Unless your really pumping culture, France should have all of the mainland.

edited first post

The map/mod is now on the mod hub only. I fixed a few more things (Cape Town I'm looking at you), I added in Almaty and Rio de Janeiro, and also added 5 new city states; Madrid, Karakorum, Sydney, Bandar Seri Begawan, and Cuzco.

I also adjusted some resources. Slightly helped out Rome, Ottomans, England, and nerfed Siam and Persia a tad. Adjustments will continue to be made until we get it right, so feedback is critical because I can only play so many games and mod, and attempt to have a life.

Thanks, and enjoy

Shiggs

Hey Shiggs, thanks very much for offering the new City States for my mod! They have Civilopedia entries?

Regarding my idea, to which Civ would you associate Bandar Seri Begawan (India?) if any?

no problem, yea they all have civlopedia entries. Just relevant info I copied and pasted from wiki. I would associate them with either India or Siam. Bandar Seri Begawan is the capitol city of Brunei, its a tiny little nation, basically surrounded by Indonesia.

Tried it out some as Japan and am enjoying it. :) Seems Hanoi is located in Australia though and I couldnt see Sydney, though my only exploration of it has been with a boat

hhhmmm Hanoi isn't even supposed to be in there, Sydney should be on the water, I'll have to investigate that. Welcome to the forums :)

well, because the Greeks are even more in the way then the Ottomans.

You should say then the Romans are in the way, as the Greeks precede them as well by a couple of centuries.

Half the city states can't even found their first city because they are all so close.

Missed Sidon playing as Egypt... :( (They even found when I have a Warrior right next to their Settler.)

Ragusa could easily be moved across and renamed Carthage. ;)

Also, Ancient Ruins seem to be missing...

I just have a quick question, how do you get your map to load with your mod? I've loaded my map into ModBuddy and for whatever reason the map does not show up in game unless placed the My Documents > Civ5 > Maps folder.

Is there a specific Action you have to tack on for the map?

Thank you. :)

Yeah DLing now gonna check this out. But no greece just seems wrong. Though I do know what you mean the mid mediteranian civs are just so close together its hard to play them.

I've had 2 games on this map, really enjoying them, only thing is that the european nations and ottoman/persia is really weak if russia expands west, in my games, france was killed of by germany and in the other ottoman and rome also quite early, im only on warlord if that makes any difference, but it wasn't me killing them off,

but the most annoyning thing is i can't click "quick combat"!

Okay, first off, I think Africa has way more than enough room for a second city state, and I think Askum fits the bill. Tell me which other African country besides Ethiopia successfully fought off colonialism?

Also:

Ragusa could easily be moved across and renamed Carthage.

YES, YES, YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES! Complete win! I don't know why they decided to leave out Carthage in the main game at all (Maybe because they're going to be one of the first new civs and didn't want to deal with the trouble removing them? Maybe they seriously though Tyre was a better choice?), but this will fix the problem. And again, you can't possibly say there's no room for it.

Finally, is there a chance for Babylon being added into the game?

You should say then the Romans are in the way, as the Greeks precede them as well by a couple of centuries.

Missed Sidon playing as Egypt... :( (They even found when I have a Warrior right next to their Settler.)

Ragusa could easily be moved across and renamed Carthage. ;)

Also, Ancient Ruins seem to be missing...

So you would prefer Sidon there and ancient ruins on the map? I can make a new city state named Carthage, no need to replace :)

I just have a quick question, how do you get your map to load with your mod? I've loaded my map into ModBuddy and for whatever reason the map does not show up in game unless placed the My Documents > Civ5 > Maps folder.

Is there a specific Action you have to tack on for the map?

Thank you. :)

What I did to get my map was I loaded up Dale's Huge RSL Earth map. I saved it as Map. Then I created my mod structure. Like the project file, and a few folders to put my stuff in, XML, Maps. Then I cut and pasted the map into there, and then worked on in from world builder. After I was done I made a back up copy because this mod buddy has been acting screwy with not updating my changes. Then i finished creating the XML file that adds the new city states, did all the Action stuff on the properties, and built it. I do recall that the build function tries to take everything from the "Build" folder within the mod buddy thing and will overwrite any files without asking. I took my backup copy of the map and pasted it in 3 places, inside the Shiggs Earth/Builds/Maps part, then inside the Shiggs Earth/Maps part, and then inside the Shiggs Earth (v1)/Maps folder to make sure the file was the same everywhere, because I swear to god this mod buddy has several bugs still, and was trying to use the original map that I had not edited for some god forsaken reason. There is no Action for the Map, but I forget what its called the tab under that, you will need to add the Map there.

Yeah DLing now gonna check this out. But no greece just seems wrong. Though I do know what you mean the mid mediteranian civs are just so close together its hard to play them.

I might edit that area and add Greece, everybody seems to want them ;)

Okay, first off, I think Africa has way more than enough room for a second city state, and I think Askum fits the bill. Tell me which other African country besides Ethiopia successfully fought off colonialism?

Also:

YES, YES, YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES! Complete win! I don't know why they decided to leave out Carthage in the main game at all (Maybe because they're going to be one of the first new civs and didn't want to deal with the trouble removing them? Maybe they seriously though Tyre was a better choice?), but this will fix the problem. And again, you can't possibly say there's no room for it.

Finally, is there a chance for Babylon being added into the game?

yes you are right. I think Africa needs more action as well. Carthage and Aksum sound great :) Babylon probably not real soon because I don't have the extra stuff.

Also I'm in the middle of creating a Spanish civ, truth be told I'm already done, just need to edit some text and maybe add a button or two. Any thoughts on adding them and removing my Madrid city state?

I've had 2 games on this map, really enjoying them, only thing is that the european nations and ottoman/persia is really weak if russia expands west, in my games, france was killed of by germany and in the other ottoman and rome also quite early, im only on warlord if that makes any difference, but it wasn't me killing them off,

but the most annoyning thing is i can't click "quick combat"!

Interesting, in my games France usually owns, and I had to beef up Rome, Germany, and Otto's so maybe I need to tone that back down or make some adjustments... Glad your enjoying them :)

Not sure why quick combat isn't working, I'll look into it.

So is Sidon more related to Egypt than to Persia?
Is Ragusa anywhere near Tunisia or that was just meant as replacing so the same number is kept?

And how about some Macedon stuff as a Greek-related City State? ;)

I'm getting almost there finding three City States for each Civ for my mod.

I still miss Babylon City States though, guess it's cause not everyone has the DLC.

Re: the debate about Greece vs Ottomans - is there room to create and add the city state of Athens?

I guess civs are supposed to start in their real life locations, if thats the case then I have a problem because when I play as england I always start on a tiny island thats got about 10 tiles of land. This is with load scenario ticked.

are you next to France still? If so, I know England is tiny, its just the way it is. If not, there is some kind of error, I playtested as England, so I know for a fact they are in the correct spot, save some kind of bug if you are correct.

also SirBeegus, not a bad idea, I will consider it.

Szpilman - I'm not sure how the city states relate to civs, but I might consider adding more soon.

am i stupid or is it correct that once i click load scenario i can't enter advanced options when setting up a game?

its the way all the pre setup maps are, point your finger and wave it at Firaxis, not the mod creators. ;)

I did turn Time victory off for anybody that wanted to continue playing past 2050. Other than that all the advanced options are standard.

I usually play on emperor so thats how I test, though all AI's are set at prince by default (As opposed to the firaxis default value of settler [maybe thats why the AI is so dumb normally?])

Is there any way to change this setting without loading a mod? I.e., if I play a normal game on Prince, is the AI level set to Settler or Prince? If to Settler, how do I change that?

Top Bottom