Social policy editing?

SexyDexy

Chieftain
I haven't been able to find any guides on making custom social policy trees/ideologies or editing them. Are there any guides? Is it very simple? Does it normally work?

EDIT: Posted in the wrong forum..

It's not very complicated, if you know the basics of Civ5 modding. If you don't want to mess with the UI files, it's best not to change the branch types (but you can change the TXT_KEYS with their names). As far as I know, adding more policies per branch doesn't cause any problems - you just need to set their X and Y positions and prerequisite policies properly, so they are correctly displayed in the UI.

Of course, as usual with Civ5 modding, there can be some surprises due to things like hardcoded rules, unused tables etc. so keep your eyes open :)

It's not very complicated, if you know the basics of Civ5 modding. If you don't want to mess with the UI files, it's best not to change the branch types (but you can change the TXT_KEYS with their names). As far as I know, adding more policies per branch doesn't cause any problems - you just need to set their X and Y positions and prerequisite policies properly, so they are correctly displayed in the UI.

Are there any basic guides on how to do this? And how could I make custom effects for the policies?

At the most basic level, you use XML or SQL to make changes in the game's database, in this case it's the Policies table, and tables that start with Policy_.

But this way you can only do things that already have their tables and columns in the database - actually some of them don't work (for example the Policy_FreePromotionUnitCombats table), so always check if things you've done actually work, especially if you use something that isn't used in the unmodded game.

To make completely new policy effects you need to use Lua scripts, or (in extreme cases) change the DLL source code (C++) and compile it.

Also you need to create (or update in case of modifying existing policies) the help text of the policies, so the player knows what they do.

The basic info about modding Civ5 can be found in various places, although I don't know any complete and up to date tutorial. You can find some useful information here, for example. And generally in the "Civ5 - Modding Tutorials & Reference" section of this forum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom