Spoiler thread for China (Council PBEM)

Can trade with the brown barbarians now. Not sure if that's because he completed a road or due to my new harbor. Carthage is the only one with anything to trade (dyes) so I send ivory.

Have two settlers moving. One will settle near the gems the other, I'm not sure. He's headed towards the desert. Not a great spot but there are still white barbarians in the south to deal with. :(

Next turn I'll have two more settlers. I checked CA II (since I downloaded it again to check our beakers in the MTDG) and see that right not there isn't much difference for me between despotism, feudalism or republic. Need more cities and an FP.

Still paying out 19gpt. 6gpt to Paul for 6 more turns and 13gpt to H. Barca for 11 turns. Have over 300g and making 15gpt. Research is off.

I've always thought that, unless unit costs would kill me, it's a good idea to get out of despotism ASAP - in a food poor start like this, it might be more important - you can better leverage your wheat and floodplains to expand faster/have more workers.

Good point AT. I hadn't thought about the despotism penalties. With two settlers coming out next turn and H. Barca wanting me to start sending gold for monotheism turn 111 might be a good one for a revolution.

Started my revolution. Will have five turns of anarchy. Sent 16gpt to H. Barca for future delivery of monotheism. Running a 29gpt deficit through anarchy but I have over 300g.

Will shop around for chivalry next.

China is still lowest in score by far. :( Rec'd invention from Carthage (H. Barca). Trying to buy theology but I think the sellers are reluctant since I have honestly told them I must buy with no strings attached so I can trade to Carthage. I have an agreement with H. Barca for invention, gunpowder and chemistry (from him) for engineering, chivalry, theology and education (from me).

Will finish researching chivalry in six turns. I have one extra ivory and working to connect another plus an extra gem source. Carthage has another lux I can trade the gems for. Have been a republic for awhile now and have built my first market.

Working to make settlers to fill my land before anyone else settles here. Too many foreign ships for my liking. China is not a maritime civ.

Will feel safer once I have chivalry. Have 385g and a small surplus. 16gpt payment to Carthage also has only three turns left. Paying 12gpt for unit costs but will eventually offset that with new cities.

Still bound to Carthage. This is due more and more to the fact that there are two partnerships of two players each rather than my fear of the brown barbarian to the south.

The 16gpt payment to Carthage has not ended. When I try to end it the game crashes. I have pmmed H. Barca about this. If it is not resolved next turn I will have to post in the game thread that the save is corrupted.

The Ottomans have a settler on the southern tip of my landmass. I have pmmed Aigburth that this will strain our good relationship.

I have had to slow my research to chivalry.

Got a reply from Sultan Aigburth. He points out that a city on the tip on my landmass is just and extension of his cultural borders. He suggests we agree on a sphere of influence. I wrote back and asked if he had a specific proposal but pointed out that I consider the sea to be a natural barrier between us. I'm leaning towards taking a hard line here.

I have two settlers moving in that direction now.

Tensions continue to be high over the French and Ottoman cities on China's west coast. I have occupied the land tiles with the cultural radius of these two cities. I hesitate to declare war on them and give them war happiness but if I wait too long they will surely attack me somewhere else when I'm not looking. :eek:

for what it's worth, if you declare and take a city from them, you'll pretty much undo whatever happiness you give them immediately. Losing a city really hits with the weariness.

Hadn't thought of that. Another thing to consider is my golden age. Most of my military consists of riders so I'd be initiating my golden age if I attack. I haven't even settled all my land yet nor have I built a forbidden palace so a golden age seems a bit premature. But I'm woefully behind anyway.

On the other hand, the GA may have a bigger effect now than later. if you GA soon, the boost will give you a bigger jump in production. If you GA later, once you have a fully developed civ, it's not as much. A GA, for instance, for a size 5 city making 5 shields on 5 tiles doubles production. A GA for a size 8 city making 15 shields (from hills/forests) jumps production by 1/2.

Riders are a great UU and, I think, are the best thing out there until cavalry. If you are going to war at some point anyway, doing so now might be a good plan. Course, I'd try to ensure that you can KEEP those cities - make peace only if they agree to refuse culture flips (are culture flips on in this game?)

Top Bottom