1. Civ6 is coming out TODAY! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Main site is finally re-opened! We migrated it to a new CMS and gave it a new layout as well.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Downloads database has been migrated and re-opened! Check it out and post in Site Feedback if any issue. We have done URL re-write so that old links will continue to work.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A new Civ6 theme forum style is now available and it's made the default forum style! Check it out and comment here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have successfully migrated the forum from vBulletin to Xenforo! Please take a look around and report any issue you see in Site Feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Standing Army and City Defense

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Shrews14, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Shrews14

Shrews14 New Member

Sep 21, 2009
    To begin, i understand that these are subjective questions but we are after all creatures of habit and i wonder how everyone else plays.

What size standing army should i have in peace time?
    Now i always have a small army hanging around incase of incursions- but i seem to build an army (or Navy) and not use them and then either have to disband or promoted them when new units become available or i seem to get attacked and don't have a large enough standing army. This is pre-nationalism as the power draft of units can solve my standing army problems.

How many units should i have defending my cities?
    Costal Cities - 4 defensive units
    Border Cities - A small standing army and 2 defensive units (depends on how aggressive my neigbours are!)
    Interior Cities - Unpromoted, no experenice hanging around for MP duty.

Just interest to see what everyone else does or can add more to this!!
  2. Lansky

Lansky New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Friendly neighbors or a diplomatic situation I can control - 1 unit, more if using HR.

Angry neighbors I cannot control - Enough to hold my territory.