Stellaris

Spoiler us and our vassals :

Spoiler current progress :

We Edra continue to expand our divine republic through the stars; we have made more vassals, defeated Earth and now ourselves to further colonial efforts.

They said they were gonna have all this stuff and I guess I just really wanted to believe them. You're right though, that was a mistake.

Well, they've already admitted that they missed out the middle-game events whilst trying to fit in the early and late-game stuff. I'd have gone with the early and mid-game stuff myself, but whatever you think about their DLC policies, Paradox games do get a whole load better over time.

Given the hours that many people into their games, it's still a far better currency to time ratio than many other games. In the end, the amount of time you spend playing said games is all that really matters.

Need to make money? Jeez. I wish I could go to my job and not get things done and then say I have to make money and they can't be mad cause I gotta feed myself.

It's a market. If you are honest with people with what you are offering (and there are plenty of Steam reviews to tell people exactly what Stellaris is), then there's no problem at all with allowing people to pay to get an early version of the game and support its further development. And the people who don't want to, don't have to, and that's fine also.

Steam reviews might be more useful I guess. 90% of them are not though, even when they agree with me.

Fortunately, there are 6,390 reviews of Stellaris on Steam, in the 2.5 weeks since it was released. So if 90% of them are not useful that still gives you 639 reviews to get useful information from.

Saying its a market means nothing. Human are not rational economic actors maximizing utility through the market. Homo economus is a widely discredited theory of economics these days.

People can do whatever they want. If they have enough money that they would rather just spend $40 without reading the reviews, that's fine too. The point is that there are plenty of ways for people to make good decisions for themselves. They don't really need you to protect them.

I'm practically powerless to resolve my situation, though. Due to unfortunate environmental factors the stuff I like is never going to be popular. Never will 3 or 4 games a month come out that I enjoy. Its the same with books.

How many strategy games do you need, seriously? One every few months would seem like plenty to me, if you can play them for hundreds of hours each. Do you have thousands of hours a year you need to fill up?

It's the same with books. If 0.1% of published books are of any interest at all to you, that's still 100x more than you could ever hope to read. It just doesn't seem like a problem.

I can also go outside and play Starcraft in the dirt with clay counting for mineral deposits and mud being vespene gas deposits like I did when I was 7 and my friend had Starcraft but my parents refused to buy me computer games. Which was weird since they let me have Gameboy games just fine.

That does actually sound like fun. :)

If you are paying 40$ a pop across millions of people then you had better get a product that is like 100x better than sticks in the woods.

Say you spend 100 hours of your time at some activity and you could get paid $25/hour for your time. So that's costing you $2500 that you could have had. If you add $40 for the purchase that raises the cost all the way from $2500 to $2540. The game really doesn't have to be very much better than the alternative to be worth $2540 instead of $2500.

The holy hydras have earned their heavenly rewards!

Spoiler massive empire :

The holy republic grows...

Spoiler victory for the chosen people :

...till it transcends the realms of the mortal.

$25 an hour is a wage well out of reach for the majority of people. Very telling that you picked that number.

And it's a false equivalence at that. I get paid a bit more than that but it is a salary, so working more than 40 hours a week doesn't get me more money.

It's more of a metaphor than a logical equation. However you look at it, if you're really going to spend 100 hours playing a game, whether you pay $20 or $40 for it surely isn't going to make much difference to your budget. Because that's at most a few games a year.

The cost of games that you end up not enjoying and not playing much is much more of an issue. But the solution there is to read reviews and find out what you're getting before you pay for it.

Spoiler the planet Armstrong :

Wonderful views cancel out heavy rains, while keeping the physical bonuses.

Hi guys,

Is there any Civ4 gamer who leans more to competitive than sandbox game (ideally plays Civ4 on Immortal or Deity) and has also played Stellaris? I am considering investing some time into this game but want to know whether this game offers what I want. Hence the stipulated condition of difficulty.:)

Disclaimer: Playing game in any way is ok, as long as it is fun. I just think that people who play Civ4 at high difficulty will look for same things in this game.

Thanks!

I don't, I have never even played Civ4 nor do I want to. I play Civ5 on King, but I can tell you Stellaris is not particularly difficult or complex. As always, what can make or break you is a bad start.

Endgame crises, however, sometimes hit real hard, and that makes for a decent challenge.

So, what does it add?

Top Bottom