Strategic Industry

Strategic Industry V. 10.01

UncivilizedGuy

The Village Idiot
UncivilizedGuy submitted a new resource:

Strategic Industry - Strategic Resources, Districts and Buildings are required for more units.

Strategic Industry
(Version 9.00, Released Nov 5, 2017)
Three new Strategic Resources:

Copper, Composites and Propellant.

Copper gives +1 Production.

Copper, Coal, Niter, Oil, Aluminum now spawn on a wider variety of terrains.

New Projects
Can only be built once.

Firearm Enhancements: Produces +2 Propellant and +5 Great General points. Requires Industrial Zone, Niter, and Mobilization.

R&D Investments: Produces +2 Composites and 15% Science. Requires Campus, Iron and Composites (tech).

Many Buildings now produce Strategic Resources.

The purpose is to prevent Civs from falling too far behind militarily assuming they choose to upgrade.
Barracks = +1 Copper
Stable= +1 Horses
Armory= +1 Iron
Military Academy= +1 Niter
Seaport= +1 Coal
Airport= +1 Aluminum
Research Lab= +1 Oil

Strategic resource changes:
Copper: Spearman, Heavy Chariot, Field Cannon
Iron: Pikeman
Niter: Ranger
Propellant: Artillery, Infantry, AT Crew, Modern AT, Machine Gun, Anti-Air Gun
Oil: Submarine, Destroyer, Helicopter, Missile Cruiser
Composites: Mechanized Infantry, Rocket Artillery, Mobile SAM, Modern Armor.

Siege Weapons, Ships, Mechanized Units, Support Units now require industrial infrastructure:
Encampment: Catapult, Siege Tower, Battering Ram, Observation Balloon
Armory: Bombard, Field Cannon
Shipyard: Caravel, Frigate, Privateer, Ironclad, Battleship, Submarine
Seaport: Aircraft Carrier, Destroyer, Nuclear Submarine, Missile Cruiser
Factory: Tank
Power Plant: Mechanized Infantry, Rocket Artillery, Mobile SAM, Modern Armor

Other changes for better gameplay:
Moved Encampment to Archery.
Moved Shipyard to Naval Tradition.

Designed to be used in conjuction with Strategic Timber.

KNOWN BUG: Propellant icon shows up too large in the diplomacy trade screen. Has no affect on the game other than looking funky.

Last edited:
Only downside is I'd imagine the ai would be even worse at choosing different units !

But I do like this

I kinda miss some units still needing requirements, like legions needing iron.. Really forced you to either try trade, or aim for it.. Although the AI is completely ******ed at diplomacy.. Honestly one of them started a trade with my for 1 lux resource each, plus them paying me some money and open borders with me, and I tried to add something to my side (Because I'm a nice guy), to which they refused and then were demanding more from me, with only them trading their luxury resource :(

Nice! Can you make the Knight require Horses in addition to Iron?
I really wanted to do that. But the XML code will not allow me. That's why I came up with the requirement for the workshop and the factory. I considered requiring the stable for the Knight but that would make it more of a challenge to build and the AI would not figure it out.

This is the reason why I made some of the strategic resources available sooner . My hope is that the AI doesn't fall too far behind.
Thx for MOD. I did even more radically :D:
Oil
Req tech: Masonry. But Oil Well req Industrialization tech.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum#History
More than 4000 years ago, according to Herodotus and Diodorus Siculus, asphalt was used in the construction of the walls and towers of Babylon; there were oil pits near Ardericca (near Babylon), and a pitch spring on Zacynthus.[11] Great quantities of it were found on the banks of the river Issus, one of the tributaries of the Euphrates. Ancient Persian tablets indicate the medicinal and lighting uses of petroleum in the upper levels of their society. By 347 AD, oil was produced from bamboo-drilled wells in China.[12] Early British explorers to Myanmar documented a flourishing oil extraction industry based in Yenangyaung that, in 1795, had hundreds of hand-dug wells under production.[13] The mythological origins of the oil fields at Yenangyaung, and its hereditary monopoly control by 24 families, indicate very ancient origins.
Coal
Req tech: Bronze working.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coal_mining
Coal from the Fushun mine in northeastern China was used to smelt copper as early as 1000 BCE. Outcrop coal was used in Britain during the Bronze Age (3000–2000 BC), where it has been detected as forming part of the composition of funeral pyres. Evidence of trade in coal (dated to about AD 200) has been found at the Roman settlement at Heronbridge, near Chester, and in the Fenlands of East Anglia, where coal from the Midlands was transported via the Car Dyke for use in drying grain.

Our ancestors were clever and resourceful, even in those ancient times...

I kinda miss some units still needing requirements, like legions needing iron.. Really forced you to either try trade, or aim for it.. Although the AI is completely ******ed at diplomacy.. Honestly one of them started a trade with my for 1 lux resource each, plus them paying me some money and open borders with me, and I tried to add something to my side (Because I'm a nice guy), to which they refused and then were demanding more from me, with only them trading their luxury resource :(
I could require strategic resources for uniques. But uniques are meant to be available right away because they are special. The developers have chosen this route so I decided to stay consistent.

I play with England, and I built Royal Navy Harbour and I can;t build galley because it says "this unit needs harbour".

Thx for MOD. I did even more radically :D:
Oil
Req tech: Masonry. But Oil Well req Industrialization tech.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum#History
More than 4000 years ago, according to Herodotus and Diodorus Siculus, asphalt was used in the construction of the walls and towers of Babylon; there were oil pits near Ardericca (near Babylon), and a pitch spring on Zacynthus.[11] Great quantities of it were found on the banks of the river Issus, one of the tributaries of the Euphrates. Ancient Persian tablets indicate the medicinal and lighting uses of petroleum in the upper levels of their society. By 347 AD, oil was produced from bamboo-drilled wells in China.[12] Early British explorers to Myanmar documented a flourishing oil extraction industry based in Yenangyaung that, in 1795, had hundreds of hand-dug wells under production.[13] The mythological origins of the oil fields at Yenangyaung, and its hereditary monopoly control by 24 families, indicate very ancient origins.
Coal
Req tech: Bronze working.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coal_mining
Coal from the Fushun mine in northeastern China was used to smelt copper as early as 1000 BCE. Outcrop coal was used in Britain during the Bronze Age (3000–2000 BC), where it has been detected as forming part of the composition of funeral pyres. Evidence of trade in coal (dated to about AD 200) has been found at the Roman settlement at Heronbridge, near Chester, and in the Fenlands of East Anglia, where coal from the Midlands was transported via the Car Dyke for use in drying grain.

Our ancestors were clever and resourceful, even in those ancient times...

I actually really like this, plus it helps you to plan ahead :)

One question though, do all units show up in your build inventory (Just greyed out), but tell you what you need to build them??

For some reason this mod together whit civ 6 improvements patch mod makes coastal tile prod yield explode to 9-11 whit harbor and lighthouse

Edit: It seems its a problem whit the other mod so disregard this post

Last edited:
First of all this mod is amazing!

Maybe you can make it so that Renaissance/Industrial era land units require a workshop or barracks.
The same for the modern and later era units requiring a factory or a armory.
Also i think slingers need to require stone, but that would maybe be unbalanced.
I hope this is possible.

First of all this mod is amazing!

Maybe you can make it so that Renaissance/Industrial era land units require a workshop or barracks.
The same for the modern and later era units requiring a factory or a armory.
Also i think slingers need to require stone, but that would maybe be unbalanced.
I hope this is possible.
My goal for this mod is to tie the units to industry because that's where the weapons are manufactured. It is tempting to connect units to the Encampment but that District is designed to buff the units. My plan is to create a Forge for early game units that would be built in the City Center. The problem right now is getting artwork into the game.
It is also tempting to require Stone for Stone Age units but that would be a little extreme in my opinion. But just for the Slinger might not be a bad idea. I sometimes forget how quickly improvements are constructed in Civ6.

Top Bottom