Technology Gap

Wiggybaby

Chieftain
During a recent game, one of the AI Civs got so far ahead technology wise that one of their guided missiles destroyed my frigate. Not cool since they declared war on me and then demanded all of my gold and half of my cities. I didn't even have flight yet. I know the AI cheats at every opportunity but this is ridiculous. Any way I can get technology faster?

Hacks ;)

Yes, if you are on Emperor or lower it should be you with the big tech edge over the AI by then. (On Immortal, you should be slightly ahead of the AI by then and on Deity you should be about even with the AI by then.)
Always have every science slot filled.
The first few GS should build academies.
Cash buy science buildings.

What difficulty are you on? And what is your typical approach when it comes to technology?
I am on warlord. Pretty easy. I tried building libraries in all my cities and even dedicated one or two of them to research. Usually I am ahead in technology. I have never been so far behind.

IF someone had a missile cruiser by the time you had a frigate then its time to quit.. Lower the difficulty next time.. Immortal and Deity AIs usually out tech you badly..

Did you try boosting your biggest science producer with a national college? Also, if you plant your city directly next to a mountain, you can build an observatory around the time you research Astronomy, which will also boost that city's science production by 50%.

A couple other things:

1) Place your spies in his largest cities (as many as you have at the time). With that large a tech lead you will be stealing techs from him quite frequently.

2) It's too late now since you're at war with him, but you could have sent all your trade routes to his cities to get science per turn from them (provided he's close enough for your trade routes to reach his cities of course).

Top Bottom